Drive not recoginzed

vegaspat

Question

I simply can not figure out where to post this message.

I am using the Easy CD and DVD burning software. After searching here and all over the Internet I can not get an answer as to why my Roxio software can't recognize my drive. I hesitate to install something I'm not sure about.

I attempted to download one recommendation and it stated that it was not for my Vista OS.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that did no good either. The drive works just fine and shows up in MYComputer.

I'm not interested in spending more money to upgrade to a higher version when I can't get this, not that old, version to work.

There surely is a simple solution for this or the developers should provide a patch.

Thanks.

10 answers to this question

Vegaspat,

Your message is in the 'Easy CD & DVD Burning' forum, so that's the right place.

If Windows Explorer or My Computer can see your drive but the Roxio programs can't, it's usually because there is some problem with Roxio's burning engine. More often than not, a filter entry in the registry has been broken.

I suggest you download the PX Engine installer [click here] from Roxio. It's a zip file.

Unzip the file into a folder somewhere, and then double-click on it to run it. It should reinstall the required engine.

Restart Windows, and all should be well.

Regards,

Brendon

Well, with much hesitation I followed your instructions and the drive is now being recognized, but I ended up with another issue.

The same issue that I had when I installed this software on my new laptop with Windows 7. I received an error message about a driver issue. **The driver is blocked due to compatibility issues. The driver is installed that causes stability problems, etc. **

I contacted Roxio and was told that their software was NOT compatible with Win 7. Not wanting to spend MORE money I just told them to forget about an upgrade. Now I am getting this message on a Vista system that it had run okay on until recently.

I did manage to burn an audio CD but I could have sworn that after burning a CD, I could print a track list on the Jewel Case layout.

Now I can't get the software to link to the track listing after burning. I am still looking for the tiny manual that came with the software because the Help file doesn't address this.

Wasn't that option available? I'm almost certain it was because that's what I was looking for when I went out and purchased this specific Roxio software.

Can you possibly help me on this?

I do appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Pat

Hello again Pat,

The PX installer I pointed you to is an older file, but is useful for repairing your PX engine. Once it has been repaired you can update it to the latest version with the PX Updater. That will update the burn engine to the latest version.

I don't think that having the older version of PX files is the cause of your problem, but if you do the update that will both bring it up to date and eliminate any suspicion that it's causing a problem. Please report back ASAP as to whether it solved that compatibility problem or not.

Now presuming there's still the problem, what is the name of the driver that Vista is complaining about?

I installed your latest update, rebooted and the drive is still recognized. I am thankful for that.

But I still get the driver message when Windows starts.

I wish I could attach a screen shot because the pop up window is pretty extensive. The message is coming from the PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY ASSISTANT.(Title Bar)

Even the details do NOT name the driver unless this is what you are looking for. This is in the middle of the box.

Driver Sonic Solutions DLA

Publisher:Sonic Solutions

Location Not Available.

In the lower right hand corner it advises me to Check for Solutions online.

I finally located the manual if that's what you call it. <G> I still couldn't find a way to print the tracks labels on the CD I had just burned. I'm thinking that I misunderstood what it said on the box and all I can print are disc labels which I don't want to do. And then it looks as if I wanted to print a track list I'd have to type in each track by hand.

Gidday Pat,

I was going to ask you which of the many versions of 'Easy CD & DVD Burning' you had, but I think it must be version 9.0.554, because that's the version which installs Drag-to-Disc.

Can you confirm that for me? Run your Roxio program and go to the top bar, Help > About this program. What version does it show?

Are these the error messages that you're shown?

post-208-1268720424.jpg

I can go and install this package in Vista to see which of the two lower filter drivers is causing the problem, and how it might be removed. However I might have to ask you a couple more questions, depending on how things go. This will take me some time to do.

In the mean time, can you please go and have a look in Control Panel > Programs and Features, and see if there is an entry there for Drag-to-Disc.

If there is, can you try to uninstall it, and immediately report back here as to what result you get.

Thanks very much,

Brendon

Brendon,

I think all is well.

I did the "Check online for a solution" which has ALWAYS been useless and low and behold it found the darned solution. I downloaded a patch. 32 bit DLA patch. I rebooted and am no longer getting the error message. Gads, life is good.

I am using Version 9.0.554 and just have a couple of more questions.

Why is it you know more than the Roxio techs?

How are you so familiar with apparently all of their software?

I'm not really sure I even like the Drag to Disc and if I decide I don't, can I simply uninstall it?

Am I correct in that I can't burn a CD and then print the track list?

Brendon,

Just curious. How did you post that screen shot. I could not find the option.

Wanted to know for future use.

Thanks again and again.

Hello Pat,

[Happy Pat's Day]

Yes, that patch installs the latest version of DLA. It has been running nicely in my Windows 7 system for several months now, for testing purposes.

Roxio techs would know a LOT more than me, but it's likely I might know more than the ordinary Customer Service people because I've played with the software more and dug into it deeper. I'm familiar with it because it has been a spare time hobby for me. I've followed it since way back in the days of Adaptec and the first versions of Easy CD Creator.

Yes, you should be able to uninstall Drag-to-Disc. I installed Easy CD and DVD Burning [v9] and tried that in Windows 7 last night, and I was very happy to see D2D uninstalled cleanly. The latest version [version 10] of this suite is Win 7 compatible and doesn't have D2D.

D2D was very handy when people had tiny hard drives and needed to progressively save files to disc because there was no room on the hard drive. However that system had big issues with compatibility of the discs it wrote, and as people ran more programs simultaneously on their computers D2D was more easily broken causing loss of saved data.

You would probably do well to uninstall Drag-to-Disc and use Creator Classic or the Home Application's 'Write Data Disc' to write a standard data disc. You don't need special software to read it, and it's much more stable.

After you burn a CD you can make a label with the Express Labeler, but I don't think there's any way you can just produce a track list except by taking screen-shots during the process. I was going to look at that for you after we dealt with Drag-to-Disc.

You need special board permissions to upload pictures, but anyone can link to a picture file which is hosted off-site and that will show in your posted message.

Regards,

Brendon

I think I will uninstall the Drag to Disc thing later this week.

Since this is the same message I received when I attempted to install this software on my new Win7 laptop, I think I will install the 3 files provided by you and Roxio. I've marked the order in which I need to install them. Smart, eh? <G>

Thanks for ALL of your help. I could NOT have gotten this far without it. :rolleyes: