new camcorder

bobstripower

Question

Ive been using a Sony handycam for sevral years, but my wife surprised with a Sanyo HD vpc-fhia.It uses an MPEG 4 --will that work with roxio 7.5??Also, id like honest opinion on using an HD camera in general,and Sanyo inparticluar.From reviews Ive read so far. it may be a little early for HDs,and it may not work with all DVD players,esp the Sanyo unit--thanks--bob

12 answers to this question

Ive been using a Sony handycam for sevral years, but my wife surprised with a Sanyo HD vpc-fhia.It uses an MPEG 4 --will that work with roxio 7.5??Also, id like honest opinion on using an HD camera in general,and Sanyo inparticluar.From reviews Ive read so far. it may be a little early for HDs,and it may not work with all DVD players,esp the Sanyo unit--thanks--bob

I seriously doubt that EMC 7/7.5 will run mpeg4 files. It is not too early for HD video but I think you will have to upgrade to Creator 2010 unless you want to buy an older version on-line.. What do you have for a computer?

If you have a Blu-ray player that will play AVCHD discs, you will be pleased at how good they look. You can get about 40 minutes of HD video on an AVCHD disc. There is no need to go out an buy a blu-ray burner until you really get into it. Of course, you can still burn standard definition from the HD files -- they will look better than what you have had.

I'm not sure what "fhia" designation means for that camcorder.

If you are not yet ready to upgrade, consider using a free program such as "Any Video Converter" to convert those files to mpg2 so you can use them in EMC 7/7.5

I have a Canon HD camcorder and love i.t Those little Xacti camcorders are really handy. You wife must really like you and the video editing work you do to get you such a thoughtful gift.

Not looking too good…

post-39730-1268684126.jpg

Jim---is this a representation of an MPEG 4 file in Roxio 7.5

I seriously doubt that EMC 7/7.5 will run mpeg4 files. It is not too early for HD video but I think you will have to upgrade to Creator 2010 unless you want to buy an older version on-line.. What do you have for a computer?

If you have a Blu-ray player that will play AVCHD discs, you will be pleased at how good they look. You can get about 40 minutes of HD video on an AVCHD disc. There is no need to go out an buy a blu-ray burner until you really get into it. Of course, you can still burn standard definition from the HD files -- they will look better than what you have had.

I'm not sure what "fhia" designation means for that camcorder.

If you are not yet ready to upgrade, consider using a free program such as "Any Video Converter" to convert those files to mpg2 so you can use them in EMC 7/7.5

I have a Canon HD camcorder and love i.t Those little Xacti camcorders are really handy. You wife must really like you and the video editing work you do to get you such a thoughtful gift.

sknis---thanks--if i buy the 2010 will it still play/edit all my videos Ive made in 7.5?

I do have a bluray,but have several other dvd players some 6 years old--will they play dvds made on a HD camera/My computer was made by a geek freind of mine 3 years ago, and he made it with my video use in made.It only has a dual core, but works very well for vidoe editting/processing.Would i need a diffent dvd burner for HD in general, and/or Bluray.From what Ive read, it seems to use the currnet burner, id have to convert back to MPEG 2, and the Sanyo has a quality issue when thats done.With your Canon HD,did you have to upgrade your burner.

THE fhia is part of the Sanyo model number/name

Jim---is this a representation of an MPEG 4 file in Roxio 7.5

Are you serious Bob???

Look up top where it says "VideoWave 7"

post-39730-1268748611.jpg

Then look at the 3 mp4 files in that folder and see the circle with a slash in red???

I went downstair and fired up an old PC with EMC 7 on it just so I could take that screencap and confirm it doesn't work! No "representation" here Bob, it is the real deal...

Are you serious Bob???

Look up top where it says "VideoWave 7"

post-39730-1268748611.jpg

Then look at the 3 mp4 files in that folder and see the circle with a slash in red???

I went downstair and fired up an old PC with EMC 7 on it just so I could take that screencap and confirm it doesn't work! No "representation" here Bob, it is the real deal...

Sorry Jim,iwas just confused on your post--now i have to break the news to my wife,that ill be returning the camera.Since i posted ,I find that i need a new burner to make BluRay discs,and of course Ill need the 2010 Roxio,which i hope is close to the process Ive learned to use,with your help in 7.5. Also not clear from what Ive read that the Sanyo unit will work with anything other than Nero.So Im leaning to a Sony or Canon unit

Sorry Jim,iwas just confused on your post--now i have to break the news to my wife,that ill be returning the camera.Since i posted ,I find that i need a new burner to make BluRay discs,and of course Ill need the 2010 Roxio,which i hope is close to the process Ive learned to use,with your help in 7.5. Also not clear from what Ive read that the Sanyo unit will work with anything other than Nero.So Im leaning to a Sony or Canon unit

Yes, you would need Creator 2010 to handle the files. Did you understand what I said about AVCHD discs? You burn high definition files onto a standard DVD using the burner you now have. You would need a blu-ray player that will play AVCHD discs. You can get about 40 minutes of high definition video on a standard disc. Do you have a blu-ray player now? Which one?

If you have the computer storage space, you can archive the video for later use. In the mean time, you could use "Any Video Converter" (free) to convert a copy of the file to mpg2 to use now. Wives prefer that you like what they buy you ! ... and it will give you some leverage when you do decide to update to a newer version. :P

Yes, you would need Creator 2010 to handle the files. Did you understand what I said about AVCHD discs? You burn high definition files onto a standard DVD using the burner you now have. You would need a blu-ray player that will play AVCHD discs. You can get about 40 minutes of high definition video on a standard disc. Do you have a blu-ray player now? Which one?

If you have the computer storage space, you can archive the video for later use. In the mean time, you could use "Any Video Converter" (free) to convert a copy of the file to mpg2 to use now. Wives prefer that you like what they buy you ! ... and it will give you some leverage when you do decide to update to a newer version. :P

thanks again--guess id didnt quite understand your comment.My understanding is that i need a new burner to burn blu-ray--i have a Sony blu-ray unit and a Sony HD prog scan LCD TV.Looking at reviews of the Sanyo HD camera,it looks like it has issues with video software and if one needs to convert MPEG 4 to MPEG 2, theres a big qiality drop off.So Im thinking either the Canon unit, or a Sony.Also th Sanyo deosnt have room for an external mic,which i need---thanks for input

thanks again--guess id didnt quite understand your comment.My understanding is that i need a new burner to burn blu-ray--i have a Sony blu-ray unit and a Sony HD prog scan LCD TV.Looking at reviews of the Sanyo HD camera,it looks like it has issues with video software and if one needs to convert MPEG 4 to MPEG 2, theres a big qiality drop off.So Im thinking either the Canon unit, or a Sony.Also th Sanyo deosnt have room for an external mic,which i need---thanks for input

Read my information again. I am not talking about a blu-ray disc where you would need a blu-ray burner.

An AVCHD disc is

1) Burned with the burner yu have now.

2) Burned to a standard DVD disc

3) Has High definition video - for the Xacti, 720 line resolution. Standard defintion is 480 line definition.

4) Has up to about 40 minutes of HD video on a disc.

5) Can be play with most (but not all) blu-ray players.

I'm not sure where you saw that there is a quality drop in going from HD mp4 (720) to HD mpg2 (720).

I guess that the mic is the deal breaker. though. Good luck.

Edited by sknis

meant to get back earlier to update--all the help was very good---wound up buying a Sony Handycam 810, and a Panasonic ZS7, which takes HD ona little camera that fits in your pocket.The Pannnie puts out a AVCHD file at 720, but with a miniHDMI cable will do 1080. Since you guys were so helpful before,perhaps you can tell me the process in --once i take the video file off the digital camera, do I then need to convert to MPEG2 or will Roxio use the AVCHD file. 2nd, i did buy the mini HDMI cable but for the life of me cant figure out what it hooks up to--do i need a separate port on my PC, and associated hardware--any help would be appreciated as usual--bob

meant to get back earlier to update--all the help was very good---wound up buying a Sony Handycam 810, and a Panasonic ZS7, which takes HD ona little camera that fits in your pocket.The Pannnie puts out a AVCHD file at 720, but with a miniHDMI cable will do 1080. Since you guys were so helpful before,perhaps you can tell me the process in --once i take the video file off the digital camera, do I then need to convert to MPEG2 or will Roxio use the AVCHD file. 2nd, i did buy the mini HDMI cable but for the life of me cant figure out what it hooks up to--do i need a separate port on my PC, and associated hardware--any help would be appreciated as usual--bob

Are you still trying to work with EMC 7.5? EMC 7.5 will not handle AVCHD files; you'll need to upgrade to Creator 2010 (or Creator 2009). You would have to use a third part video converter to convert AVCHD to SD mpg2 to use the video files in EMC 7.5. You cannot make a HD disc/file of any sort with EMC 7.5. .

For those camcorders, all you do is use Windows to copy the files to a folder on your computer (in case that was not what you were thinking). I think I may have suggested "Any Video Converter" to do the conversion.

Your EMC 7.5 projects will not be able to be edited in any upgrade. You'll have to finish them and burn them to disc before you upgrade.

That mini-HDMI cable connects your camera to a HD TV or monitor that has the HDMI port. It does not connect to your computer.

Are you still trying to work with EMC 7.5? EMC 7.5 will not handle AVCHD files; you'll need to upgrade to Creator 2010 (or Creator 2009). You would have to use a third part video converter to convert AVCHD to SD mpg2 to use the video files in EMC 7.5. You cannot make a HD disc/file of any sort with EMC 7.5. .

For those camcorders, all you do is use Windows to copy the files to a folder on your computer (in case that was not what you were thinking). I think I may have suggested "Any Video Converter" to do the conversion.

Your EMC 7.5 projects will not be able to be edited in any upgrade. You'll have to finish them and burn them to disc before you upgrade.

That mini-HDMI cable connects your camera to a HD TV or monitor that has the HDMI port. It does not connect to your computer.

steve thanks--ok ill go ahead and get the 2010 roxio--will i be able to edit my old 7.5 files using 2010??

Thanks for input on hdmi --seems weird i can move the 720 files to my PC but not the 1080 files--i see n Internet that they have a cable that will hook up to the hdmi cable and have a usb connection--but im figuring there must be some electronics that must accept the 1080 signal.Ill look into it a little more--im also wondering if my off line dvd/vhs converter has an hdmi input--ill see

QUOTE (sknis @ May 20 2010, 12:50 PM) *

steve thanks--ok ill go ahead and get the 2010 roxio--will i be able to edit my old 7.5 files using 2010??

Thanks for input on hdmi --seems weird i can move the 720 files to my PC but not the 1080 files--i see n Internet that they have a cable that will hook up to the hdmi cable and have a usb connection--but im figuring there must be some electronics that must accept the 1080 signal.Ill look into it a little more--im also wondering if my off line dvd/vhs converter has an hdmi input--ill see

Read the post you responded to again for the answer.(I made it a little bigger)

Edited by ogdens