MyDVD Burn ---> CPU usage 100%

EGS3

Question

Hi,

I'm running Roxio Creator 10 CE (bundled with my Plextor burner). In MyDVD when I hit "Burn", the Windows Task Manager CPU usage goes up to 100% with VideoWave10.exe using up about 97%of theCPU. The rendering to ISO, therefore, takes extremely long - approximately 4 hours for a 50 minute DVD. Eventually it works, but why does the CPU max out like this? Something must not be right, I'm thinking. I'm running Windows XP. Please let me know if you need any more hardware/software info to help me solve this. Thanks !!!

11 answers to this question

Hi,

I'm running Roxio Creator 10 CE (bundled with my Plextor burner). In MyDVD when I hit "Burn", the Windows Task Manager CPU usage goes up to 100% with VideoWave10.exe using up about 97%of theCPU. The rendering to ISO, therefore, takes extremely long - approximately 4 hours for a 50 minute DVD. Eventually it works, but why does the CPU max out like this? Something must not be right, I'm thinking. I'm running Windows XP. Please let me know if you need any more hardware/software info to help me solve this. Thanks !!!

Because encoding is CPU intensive, and to some extent, GPU intensive.

Hi,

Everything is normal :rolleyes:

Everything is normal :rolleyes:

Surely there must be something wrong when it takes several hours to burn minutes (I'm currently 50% finished on my first ACCHD to DVD burn with only about 20 minutes of video and it's been 3.5 hours). Are you saying there is absolutely nothing that effects the duration which appears to all be in the encoding step?

Surely there must be something wrong when it takes several hours to burn minutes (I'm currently 50% finished on my first ACCHD to DVD burn with only about 20 minutes of video and it's been 3.5 hours). Are you saying there is absolutely nothing that effects the duration which appears to all be in the encoding step?

I think that you meant AVCHD, which DOES take forever to encode, depending on the power of your computer.

What affects the amount of encoding time is the speed of your processor and GPU, amount of memory, and to a lesser extent drive access (actual drive speed and fragmentation). For normal DVD quality video, I figure about a 4 or 5 to 1 encoding time to video time ratio. (Relatively modest processor and graphics card.) So, as has been said, you're results are "normal". Maxed out CPU, and plenty of time. That's what it takes to encode video.

What affects the amount of encoding time is the speed of your processor and GPU, amount of memory, and to a lesser extent drive access (actual drive speed and fragmentation). For normal DVD quality video, I figure about a 4 or 5 to 1 encoding time to video time ratio. (Relatively modest processor and graphics card.) So, as has been said, you're results are "normal". Maxed out CPU, and plenty of time. That's what it takes to encode video.

Since the OP is encoding AVCHD video, I think the 3.5 hours for 20 minutes is actually excellent time :rolleyes: