• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

PAL to NTSC

Hexie

Question

Whilst putting together some episodes of a cartoon for a nephew, I discovered that some of the episodes were encoded with PAL and some were with NTSC (as I am in the States, I use the latter). However, Toast didn't tell me which were PAL and which weren't.

Fortunately using QT Player's (don't own QT Pro) Movie Inspector helped me find the PAL content (PAL runs at 25 or 30 fps, while NTSC runs at either 23 or 29). Unrelated to my question is the suggestion that something be added to future versions of Toast which identify the content.

Finally, my issue: How do I encode the PAL content to NTSC, and more importantly do so without cocking up the sound/video synching?

I bow to the superior knowledge of you big-brained lugs. Hep a bruddah out:)

4 answers to this question

Your goal is to create a video DVD, correct? When you add video files to the Toast Video window there is a description of the videos specs below the title's name. So you should be able to see its resolution and frame rate in that window.

When you have NTSC selected as your preferred format in Toast Preferences (which is the default in the U.S.) and you add a PAL video, Toast warns you of the issue at the time you click the burn button or choose Save as Disc Image. Toast asks if you want the video converted to NTSC or not. Okay the change in format and Toast takes care of the details by re-encoding the video to NTSC. The audio should remain in sync.

I think my problem is related to converting PAL to NTSC: I love BBC documentaries which are usually still PAL when I get them. I have noticed the the audio and video are in sync when I play them as an .avi file, and also after I convert them to .mov for iTunes (doing the latter in Quicktime). It seems to be after I convert them to NTSC when burning to a DVD in toast that the audio will start fine but at the end of a 60 minute doc., it's off from the video by as much as -60 seconds, getting more and more ahead of the video as it goes. This does NOT happen w/ alll PAL/NTSC conversions, just some. Should I forget trying to keep stuff in iTunes, or convert them to a different intermediate format? It's frustrating when it takes 4 hours to burn the disc and then have to throw it away b/c it's unusable. Please help! I'm getting frustrated listening to the narrator speak about the lion attacking the zebra when on screen I'm seeing a baboon pick its teeth! :unsure:

As long as you're watching them on a computer there is no reason to convert the video format. The only problem is when you try to play a PAL DVD on a NTSC-only player. There are DVD players (I think Philips is known for this) that play PAL DVDs and do the NTSC conversion on the fly so that's also a way to go.

As for the audio sync, maybe what is happening is it is getting converted to 44.1 khz when making the .avi and then Toast is having to convert that back to 48 khz for DVD. So it may be a resampling issue. That would explain it getting increasingly out of sync over time. If the audio remained as Dolby Digital (ac-3) when creating the .avi then the audio likely remains in sync. Or maybe it is the conversion of 25 fps to 30 fps that's the issue.

Let me know the specs that Toast gives for one of your source videos that ends up out of sync and the specs of a source video that remains in sync. Maybe I can make some sense of it.

Edited by tsantee

AAugh!

I just dumped the ones that were messed up, so I will dl some PALs, hope one at least one converts well and another one sucks. I think I will have to rely on convertng them to NTSC as I am not in the market for another DVD player. FYI: pretty much everything is .avi when I get it, it just starts blowing somewhere between then and when I burn it--I suppose that means the problem is me then, right? Thanks for the help!