VideoWave - Using the "trim" tool

Yewbarrow

Question

Greetings Roxio Experts, A novice, here, looking for some help if possible. I'm generally happy with VideoWave but have a problem with the "trim" tool. When I first installed Roxio 2010 it worked well but after a while problems began.... when advancing the video (or reversing it) there is a time/frame counter as well as a preview screen. I now find that in trying to trim the start and end of a video clip it is no longer a precise instrument. The time/frame counter appears to advance/reverse alright but the imgae in the preview pane doesn't stay in sync. In brief, it will not display the advance/reverse frame by frame any more, as it did at first. The problem appeared to have been fixed aftre installing SP2 but only briefly... it's now gone bandit again. Any ideas, please? Is it a problem with the software or am I just clumsy? Thanks.

14 answers to this question

Greetings Roxio Experts, A novice, here, looking for some help if possible. I'm generally happy with VideoWave but have a problem with the "trim" tool. When I first installed Roxio 2010 it worked well but after a while problems began.... when advancing the video (or reversing it) there is a time/frame counter as well as a preview screen. I now find that in trying to trim the start and end of a video clip it is no longer a precise instrument. The time/frame counter appears to advance/reverse alright but the imgae in the preview pane doesn't stay in sync. In brief, it will not display the advance/reverse frame by frame any more, as it did at first. The problem appeared to have been fixed aftre installing SP2 but only briefly... it's now gone bandit again. Any ideas, please? Is it a problem with the software or am I just clumsy? Thanks.

Does it work if you don't use the trim feature but do your editing by splitting and cutting?

I have a hunch that your computer is filling up with grabage files and the hrd drive is fraggmented so it slows down everything. Get rid of unused programs with the uninstaller (Revo, Moderate mode), clean up the drive and defragment using the tools listed here.

Does it work if you don't use the trim feature but do your editing by splitting and cutting?

I have a hunch that your computer is filling up with grabage files and the hrd drive is fraggmented so it slows down everything. Get rid of unused programs with the uninstaller (Revo, Moderate mode), clean up the drive and defragment using the tools listed here.

Thanks, sknis. I've not tried "split and cut". I'll have a do at that. As to filling up with garbage, I doubt it as I frequently "clean up". Also, this is a newish laptop and I haven't accumulated much yet, anyway - hard drive less than 20% full. I wondered if it might be a memory problem but at 4GB I should have hoped that'd cope.

Thanks, sknis. I've not tried "split and cut". I'll have a do at that. As to filling up with garbage, I doubt it as I frequently "clean up". Also, this is a newish laptop and I haven't accumulated much yet, anyway - hard drive less than 20% full. I wondered if it might be a memory problem but at 4GB I should have hoped that'd cope.

Okay, tried that. Not a lot better. Clicking once to advance or reverse one frame doesn't work. Clicking numerous times in succession will advance or reverse the clip by roughly a second (twenty-ish frames). It's nearly right but it's still a very blunt instrument and not what it was doing originally - ie working properly and moving one frame at a time. But thanks.

Click, wait, click, wait, repeat as necessary.

Are you working with longer segments?

Clicked and waited ... and waited... Yeah, I thought it might have been me that's being impatient - but just how long do you have to wait to move one frame?

Not sure what defines a "longer segment" - do you mean a large video file? I think the answer to that is no, they've not been particularly big, I don't think. Mbytes rather than Gbytes.

Edited by Yewbarrow

Click, wait, click, wait, repeat as necessary.

Are you working with longer segments?

Sknis, thanks for taking the trouble to respond to the query. Sorry if I seem a bit of an impatient individual but I do find it frustrating when you shell out for what is supposedly top notch kit and software only to find it doesn't do what it says on the tin. I didn't mention the recent complication that when clicking the 'back one frame' button it'll jump forward a few seconds. I tried searching Roxio's knowledge base and found a similar problem (jumpy video) where it gave a possible solution as increasing the program's processor priority via Task Manager. I tried this, too, only to find that the whole system froze up. As I say, frustrating. Do you, or does anyone, know if Roxio monitor these boards to see if there are issues to be looked into for future update resolutions, or how do you bring issues directly to their attention? I even tried to 'submit a ticket' to the Technical HelpDesk but even that appeared to fail. No longer as impressed with Roxio as I was. Thanks.

Sknis, thanks for taking the trouble to respond to the query. Sorry if I seem a bit of an impatient individual but I do find it frustrating when you shell out for what is supposedly top notch kit and software only to find it doesn't do what it says on the tin. I didn't mention the recent complication that when clicking the 'back one frame' button it'll jump forward a few seconds. I tried searching Roxio's knowledge base and found a similar problem (jumpy video) where it gave a possible solution as increasing the program's processor priority via Task Manager. I tried this, too, only to find that the whole system froze up. As I say, frustrating. Do you, or does anyone, know if Roxio monitor these boards to see if there are issues to be looked into for future update resolutions, or how do you bring issues directly to their attention? I even tried to 'submit a ticket' to the Technical HelpDesk but even that appeared to fail. No longer as impressed with Roxio as I was. Thanks.

I don't see how you can state that it is a problem with C2010. :blink: In your first post you state that it was working well and now is deteriorating. That seems to indicate that something is changing on your system. For me, the program does exactly what it says on the "tin".

What are your system specs, especially video card? How long in time are the video segments you are working with? In what format?

What problems are you having with the "ticket system"?

I don't see how you can state that it is a problem with C2010. :blink: In your first post you state that it was working well and now is deteriorating. That seems to indicate that something is changing on your system. For me, the program does exactly what it says on the "tin".

What are your system specs, especially video card? How long in time are the video segments you are working with? In what format?

What problems are you having with the "ticket system"?

Hello myguggi. Yes. See your point. If it was working but now isn't, what's changed. Don't really know. New machine. Not much software on it. The video file I'm working on is an MPEG-2 recording to the hard drive from Hauppage WINTV of a broadcast TV programme (digital) and is some 8 minutes long at 173MB. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 7735Z with 4GB RAM and operating Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2). It has an Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz and a Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset is what I think passes for a graphics card. As to the ticket, after logging in, completing the form and presing 'submit', I was returned to the initial page. I had expected something like a mesage with, perhaps, a Ticket number or other acknowledgement.

Added 20/3/10 - go on, then ... you're going to drop a bombshell, now, I can feel it. Spec not high enough? I know... I'm the sort of individual who should pack up the laptop in its original box and return it to the store with note saying "I'm too dumb to own one of these" , aren't I? Get it over with. Put me out of my misery... tell me the worst.

Added 22/3/10 - worked with a 1.35GB .avi file last night... and the trim tool worked just fine. Went back to the mpeg file and it still wouldn't work with that, so it looks like there may be an issue with type(s) of files it 'likes'. Any thoughts out there?

Edited by Yewbarrow

Hi, I bought Creator 2010 because it's advertised as faster!

I read a lot of questions and answers looking for help, but all I see is NO answers?

Blame on the PC / Video / Ram, etc... Tivo files! (edit them all the time with 9 or 10 !!!)

I've been editing Videos (Tivo as well) for years with the Same PC!!!

Upgraded from Creator 10 to 2010 thinking I would get something that was faster, but I can make a pot of coffee between every trim button click... or try to slide the slide bar to the near end and wait 40 minutes?

Now I understand about Specs... I'm a systems engineer!

But I compare one version I can use fine... click and do something, but this 2010 does not do anything with Videos unless they are small files. I usualy simple trim a 1 hour Tivo filem and never had a problem on this PC with clicking the set start and slide and set end, in MyDVD?

I've read places that show users with well past the recommended specs having the same issue?

Quad core with 12gig of ram!

I can edit Tivo files with Roxio creator 9 and 10 on the same PC (I have three OS's to boot on the same PC so I'm comparing acurately!)

only have the issues with creator 2010, and that makes no sense to me!

Sounds like C2010 is not meant for videos except small clips!

I've done all the repair stuff, but?

Support just gave FAQ links and said I have 30 days to get my money back, which sounds like the solution!

Can anyone give me an answer to how to make it work before I return it?

Thanks!

Hi, I bought Creator 2010 because it's advertised as faster!

I read a lot of questions and answers looking for help, but all I see is NO answers?

Blame on the PC / Video / Ram, etc... Tivo files! (edit them all the time with 9 or 10 !!!)

I've been editing Videos (Tivo as well) for years with the Same PC!!!

Upgraded from Creator 10 to 2010 thinking I would get something that was faster, but I can make a pot of coffee between every trim button click... or try to slide the slide bar to the near end and wait 40 minutes?

Now I understand about Specs... I'm a systems engineer!

But I compare one version I can use fine... click and do something, but this 2010 does not do anything with Videos unless they are small files. I usualy simple trim a 1 hour Tivo filem and never had a problem on this PC with clicking the set start and slide and set end, in MyDVD?

I've read places that show users with well past the recommended specs having the same issue?

Quad core with 12gig of ram!

I can edit Tivo files with Roxio creator 9 and 10 on the same PC (I have three OS's to boot on the same PC so I'm comparing acurately!)

only have the issues with creator 2010, and that makes no sense to me!

Sounds like C2010 is not meant for videos except small clips!

I've done all the repair stuff, but?

Support just gave FAQ links and said I have 30 days to get my money back, which sounds like the solution!

Can anyone give me an answer to how to make it work before I return it?

Thanks!

I am sorry I can't duplicate any of your trim problems. I added a 2 hour video, opened the Trim window and moved the cursor to about the 15 minute point and clicked Set Start. Then moved slider to just before the end, hit Set End. Then hit Ok and the trimmed ends disappeared. That was all done withing 15 seconds. I don't see what could be faster then that.

If you have to wait 40 minutes "to slide the slide bar to the near end" then there is something wrong with your system or the video clips you are using.

I am sorry I can't duplicate any of your trim problems. I added a 2 hour video, opened the Trim window and moved the cursor to about the 15 minute point and clicked Set Start. Then moved slider to just before the end, hit Set End. Then hit Ok and the trimmed ends disappeared. That was all done withing 15 seconds. I don't see what could be faster then that.

If you have to wait 40 minutes "to slide the slide bar to the near end" then there is something wrong with your system or the video clips you are using.

Did you trim a tivo file?

2 hour Video, in what quality? How big was the file?

I doubt you duplicated what I'm talking about?

Can you give me the specifics?

Thanks!

Did you trim a tivo file?

2 hour Video, in what quality? How big was the file?

I doubt you duplicated what I'm talking about?

Can you give me the specifics?

Thanks!

No, I didn't trim a Tivo file. Most likely that is where your problem is.

I trimmed a 2.5 hour Divx avi file and had no problems.

No, I didn't trim a Tivo file. Most likely that is where your problem is.

I trimmed a 2.5 hour Divx avi file and had no problems.

I would think you were on the right track, but my complaint is, I could Edit "Tivo" files all the time, trim etc... which is what I do with Roxio. until I bought Roxio Creator 2010, I didn't have a problem trimming my Tivo files... I used Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on this Same PC without issues doing this.

That is the question, why doesn't Roxio Creator 2010 do it?

You can't blame the File that wasn't a problem with MyDvd that I used with the earlier version for being the problem with Roxio Creator 2010? unless you are Saying Roxio Creator 2010 is the Problem! And "it" can't edit Tivo files, and are telling me to Trash the RC2010 and go back to EMC 9 ???

If Roxio Creator 2010 is supposed to be able to do what EMC 9 could do, can someone help me fix it?

Remember, the PC and Tivo files are the same as when the EMC 9 worked with them!

Thanks!

I would think you were on the right track, but my complaint is, I could Edit "Tivo" files all the time, trim etc... which is what I do with Roxio. until I bought Roxio Creator 2010, I didn't have a problem trimming my Tivo files... I used Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on this Same PC without issues doing this.

That is the question, why doesn't Roxio Creator 2010 do it?

You can't blame the File that wasn't a problem with MyDvd that I used with the earlier version for being the problem with Roxio Creator 2010? unless you are Saying Roxio Creator 2010 is the Problem! And "it" can't edit Tivo files, and are telling me to Trash the RC2010 and go back to EMC 9 ???

If Roxio Creator 2010 is supposed to be able to do what EMC 9 could do, can someone help me fix it?

Remember, the PC and Tivo files are the same as when the EMC 9 worked with them!

Thanks!

I think it is time to take the problem to Roxio Tech support. As you know, we are not and do not have any incite on what was changed (if anything) and why. I thnk use users have run out of ideas.

I think you are looking for that lost coin under the street light (your expertise).

Edited by sknis