• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD-A authoring and burning - does Toast 10 do it or not?!?

wmldwilly

Question

I'm trying to ascertain if Toast will do what DiscWelder (from minnetonka software) will do:

I want to burn a DVD-A or DVD-Audio disk, which populates the Audio_TS folder with audio tracks in PCM format. My car includes a DVD-A capable dvd player, and my experiments so far have produced tracks that sound SO much better than on CD or MP3 players connected to the system.

Before people fire back with "but dvd music is the same thing" or "the audio_ts folder doesn't do anything", read here:

DVD demystified and pay special attention to section 1.12 and 1.12.1.

I'm really hoping Toast does this somewhere/somehow. I realize that "creating a music DVD" is essentially converting the tracks to some Dolby format or other and setting them up in the VIDEO_TS zone of the disk, but I'm hoping I can take advantage of the DVD-A spec and get rid of discwelder (which is a really crappy GUI to a good converter/burner).

5 answers to this question

Toast cannot author a DVD-A disc. As you note, Toast can make a DVD Music Disc which is not the same thing because it uses the VIDEO_TS folder and not the AUDIO_TS folder. There is one advantage to Toast's method which is it plays back on an ordinary video DVD player rather than requiring a DVD-Audio player. The Music DVD can be up 95khz 24-bit uncompressed PCM so you're incorrect that it is limited to a Dolby format. However, I've read a number of posts describing issues with 96/24 so you might need to use 48/24 instead.

Toast cannot author a DVD-A disc. As you note, Toast can make a DVD Music Disc which is not the same thing because it uses the VIDEO_TS folder and not the AUDIO_TS folder. There is one advantage to Toast's method which is it plays back on an ordinary video DVD player rather than requiring a DVD-Audio player. The Music DVD can be up 95khz 24-bit uncompressed PCM so you're incorrect that it is limited to a Dolby format. However, I've read a number of posts describing issues with 96/24 so you might need to use 48/24 instead.

Thanks for the reply and that's sort of what I expected. Too bad really, considering just how many people own cars that aren't brand spankin' new but new enough to have such systems installed. I'm going to try the music-in-the-video-zone format that Toast does, but as the car is smart enough to stop video playback while not in park, I'm guessing it's stopping anything in the Video_TS folder and not in the Audio_TS folder since the car software designers were probably smart enough to realize that the DVD-A format was for listening and not distracting the driver's eyes from the road. I suspect that *any* tracks coming from the Video zone of the disk will be stopped when the car is moving.

We'll see what happens!

Thanks for the reply and that's sort of what I expected. Too bad really, considering just how many people own cars that aren't brand spankin' new but new enough to have such systems installed. I'm going to try the music-in-the-video-zone format that Toast does, but as the car is smart enough to stop video playback while not in park, I'm guessing it's stopping anything in the Video_TS folder and not in the Audio_TS folder since the car software designers were probably smart enough to realize that the DVD-A format was for listening and not distracting the driver's eyes from the road. I suspect that *any* tracks coming from the Video zone of the disk will be stopped when the car is moving.

We'll see what happens!

One important difference is that you can't have gapless play back with the Toast music DVD. It's great when you don't mind a slight pause between tracks. But if that is an issue you need to join the tracks before adding them to Toast so they are one "chapter". Of course, that means you have to listen to the track in its entirety rather than being able to advance to a different song or segment as you could with a DVD-A disc.

By the way, the chapter skip button on the remote control is what's used to advance to the next song. You can have 99 (or maybe 98) songs in each of 99 titles because the format uses the DVD spec for titles and chapters. At the high-quality PCM setting there isn't going to be anywhere near that much space available on the disc, so the limits are something that's just nice to know.

I bought a album which I THOUGHT was a audio CD and discovered at home it was a DVD audio disk. This is great for playing on TV or my computer (MacBook Pro) but will not play on my car cd player OR boombox. This is a problem as I need to include one of the songs from the DVD Audio disk on my playlist in iTunes of dance songs. Spoke with Apple gurus and no go in iTunes to convert this format to mp3 file that I can include in playlist to burn my dance audio CD. I am going to burn 1) mp3 dance cd and 2) audio CD, which will allow me to play the songs on different machines. BIG problem is iTunes does not bring this DVD audio into its program NOR does it convert it to make it playable on other machine I own. WILL TOAST do this??? I have Roxio Toast 10 (Mac version).

Also trying to decide is there any advantage to burn my playlist in Toast vs. iTunes?? I have read in Mac World of a shareware program called CD Session Burner which allows one to ADD to CD burned each time until ALL the space is used up on the CD. This is very helpful for adding songs to my dance CD. Does Toast do anything like this??

Also trying to decide is there any advantage to burn my playlist in Toast vs. iTunes?? I have read in Mac World of a shareware program called CD Session Burner which allows one to ADD to CD burned each time until ALL the space is used up on the CD. This is very helpful for adding songs to my dance CD. Does Toast do anything like this??
Most CD players in audio setups only play the first session.

Multi-session burning is for data, to be read on computers.