• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Microsoft readying Apple iPod rival: sources

Beerman

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Software giant Microsoft Corp. is laying the groundwork to compete against Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod digital entertainment device and iTunes service, sources familiar with the discussions and plans said on Friday.

Microsoft has held licensing discussions with the music industry to create its own music service, the sources told Reuters.

The Redmond, Washington-based developer of software that runs most of the world's PCs is also demonstrating an entertainment device that plays videos and music, the sources said.

It is unclear when Microsoft plans to launch, they said.

Microsoft's software technology has provided the copyright framework for a handful of subscription music services globally. But these services have failed to topple Apple's dominance in music and device sales, despite well financed backers including Yahoo Inc..

Apple and Microsoft were not immediately reachable for comment.

Not that I am impartial in any way (Go Apple!) but I gotta say that this will be as successfull as the .net passport. Its a good idea in theory, but in practice, does anyone use it for anything other then their Hotmail or MSN messenger?

Maybe I am wrong, I guess we will know in about 2 years after it has been through the trial by fire.

Not that I am impartial in any way (Go Apple!) but I gotta say that this will be as successfull as the .net passport. Its a good idea in theory, but in practice, does anyone use it for anything other then their Hotmail or MSN messenger?

Maybe I am wrong, I guess we will know in about 2 years after it has been through the trial by fire.

One thing's for sure, they have enough money to hire the Stones so maybe they'll get the Beatles back together to sell this new toy!

Passport has been quietly laid to rest.

Now it's "live.com".

I assume this too shall pass.

Lynn

Archived