• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

jerrygref

Reslt Code -108 / Memory

Question

Hi there...

I'm having (more) troubles with Toast 7 now. I'm trying to copy a disc (that I made just days ago) from an external lacie drive to the internal Mac DVD drive via Toast. I'm getting the "error code -108" message saying I am out of memory. Is this accurate?

I read a post on someone else's -108 problem from back in March, where the problem may have been with missing parts of the VIDEO-TS folder, but I can't see how this is the case.

Any help?

6 answers to this question

Hi there...

I'm having (more) troubles with Toast 7 now. I'm trying to copy a disc (that I made just days ago) from an external lacie drive to the internal Mac DVD drive via Toast. I'm getting the "error code -108" message saying I am out of memory. Is this accurate?

I read a post on someone else's -108 problem from back in March, where the problem may have been with missing parts of the VIDEO-TS folder, but I can't see how this is the case.

Any help?

So you're just using the Toast Copy window to read from one drive and burn to the other. I haven't heard of this error appearing in that case. Try this: Instead of clicking the burn button choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. When that's complete, using the Image File setting in the Copy window to burn the copy. I realize this isn't the way you want to do this, but at least it will let us know if that works.

I presume you've also tried putting the read disc in the internal drive and the write disc in the external drive. Also, you checked that the write drive is showing at the bottom of the Toast window.

So you're just using the Toast Copy window to read from one drive and burn to the other. I haven't heard of this error appearing in that case. Try this: Instead of clicking the burn button choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. When that's complete, using the Image File setting in the Copy window to burn the copy. I realize this isn't the way you want to do this, but at least it will let us know if that works.

I presume you've also tried putting the read disc in the internal drive and the write disc in the external drive. Also, you checked that the write drive is showing at the bottom of the Toast window.

Nope. Getting the same result code error when trying to Save as Disc Image.

The disc won't read in the internal drive. Not sure if it is a media problem or something else. (Recently, I've been trying some Memorex discs. They would burn in the Mac internal drive, but not play there. Today's problem involved SONY discs, which I've never had problem playing before.)

Nope. Getting the same result code error when trying to Save as Disc Image.

The disc won't read in the internal drive. Not sure if it is a media problem or something else. (Recently, I've been trying some Memorex discs. They would burn in the Mac internal drive, but not play there. Today's problem involved SONY discs, which I've never had problem playing before.)

Just to clarify and correct this past comment, I am not having trouble reading SONY discs through the Mac. I forgot which kind of disc I had in during this equation. Today's problem does involve Memorex discs. Again, these have been burning okay in the Mac internal drive, but not playing there. I have had no trouble playing the Memorex through the Lacie external drive and copying to the Mac internal drive, until today.

Also, I have tried shutting down the Mac for ten minutes and repairing permissions. Neither has helped. Still getting the -108 error. Also tried copying just the VIDEO_TS folder. No go on that, too.

Jerry

Mac OS 10.4.6 Toast 7.0.2

Just to clarify and correct this past comment, I am not having trouble reading SONY discs through the Mac. I forgot which kind of disc I had in during this equation. Today's problem does involve Memorex discs. Again, these have been burning okay in the Mac internal drive, but not playing there. I have had no trouble playing the Memorex through the Lacie external drive and copying to the Mac internal drive, until today.

Also, I have tried shutting down the Mac for ten minutes and repairing permissions. Neither has helped. Still getting the -108 error. Also tried copying just the VIDEO_TS folder. No go on that, too.

Jerry

Mac OS 10.4.6 Toast 7.0.2

I'm sorry but I don't know what the cause is for your issue. The error message itself is wrong but Toast just reports the OS or drive error messages it gets. Clearly there is a problem reading the disc and Memorex media causes grief for lots of people. Have you tried dragging the content from the disc to the desktop?

I'm sorry but I don't know what the cause is for your issue. The error message itself is wrong but Toast just reports the OS or drive error messages it gets. Clearly there is a problem reading the disc and Memorex media causes grief for lots of people. Have you tried dragging the content from the disc to the desktop?

Well, here's the latest.

I tried to figure out exactly where the problem with the memory was centered. There were no hidden applications coming that might have been a drain on things.

However, I did find the problem, as far as I can tell.

While iMovie was not running and properly in quit mode, I realized that my last iMovie project still has about 6.5GB of trash inside its trash can. I emptied that and the Toast problem of having "no memory" went away.

Somehow, holding that amount of trash in the internal trash can of iMovie apparently was taking a hit on the memory.

HOWEVER, now I'm back to having all kinds of trouble with failures (in both directions) reading the VOB files, much as I had back in May. I tried all those same kinds of fixes that I did in May, but having no luck. I'm ready to throw something, soon.

While iMovie was not running and properly in quit mode, I realized that my last iMovie project still has about 6.5GB of trash inside its trash can. I emptied that and the Toast problem of having "no memory" went away.

Okay... this wasn't the answer to the same problem I'm having. In my case - I was COPYING a DVD that I had made in TOAST from .avi clips a few months back. I had burnt several copies from that disc for friends.

The -108 - out of memory - same prob. Using 7.0.2.

Making a disc image from Toast - CAUSES THE SAME problem - so that rules out the burner or firmware issue. Never had this prob before and have been using the SAME branded discs - TDK and same burner for over 8 months now. The burner was switched OFF and UNPLUGED from the computer. Have been using the same external drive for years - only the burner was upgraded.

The DVD that was made in TOAST plays fine - without problems - and in several different players (my friends). So I am semi-ruling out the TS Files suggesion.

Will try out 7.1 and see if that resolves the issue.

EDIT: Have tried in Toast 7.1 - SAME PROBLEM !

Will create an image in another program and see how it goes.

Edited by MpegRox