Sign in to follow this  
arm4

application quits

Question

just installed the roxio vhs to dvd....as soon as i open app ...it quits and wants me to send report to apple....any help out there? thanks

4 answers to this question

just installed the roxio vhs to dvd....as soon as i open app ...it quits and wants me to send report to apple....any help out there? thanks

I am experiencing the same phenomena on my MacBook Pro running 10.5.9 and my Imac running 10.6.4.

I chatted with a Roxio tech and didn't come up with a resolution, though I admit I had to log off after 30 minutes.

No help, I know, but at least you are not alone in this predicament.

Ken

I've got the the same problem. Error messages to Apple. I ran the utility and repaired permissions, It still crashed. Then started off the Start up disk and ran Repair Disk. I closed all other applications (iTunes, QuickTime, browsers) and got it to run, but after transferring 90 minutes of VHS, the program hung with no resolution for more than an hour, so I figured it had frozen and forced quit. Breaking the 90 minutes into 10-12 minute blocks got the job done, but if I didn't send it immediately to iMovie, Quicktime, or Toast, it was saved in the Movie folder as mpg (with no suffix) and will only open with iTunes! I can't get it into iMovies to edit, only play back on iTunes. I'm using a mac mini 4 GB ram, 2.53 Intel Duo and am more than chagrinned by my neighbor with his PC having had no problems.

I am experiencing the same phenomena on my MacBook Pro running 10.5.9 and my Imac running 10.6.4.

I chatted with a Roxio tech and didn't come up with a resolution, though I admit I had to log off after 30 minutes.

No help, I know, but at least you are not alone in this predicament.

Ken

I've got the the same problem. Error messages to Apple. I ran the utility and repaired permissions, It still crashed. Then started off the Start up disk and ran Repair Disk. I closed all other applications (iTunes, QuickTime, browsers) and got it to run, but after transferring 90 minutes of VHS, the program hung with no resolution for more than an hour, so I figured it had frozen and forced quit. Breaking the 90 minutes into 10-12 minute blocks got the job done, but if I didn't send it immediately to iMovie, Quicktime, or Toast, it was saved in the Movie folder as mpg (with no suffix) and will only open with iTunes! I can't get it into iMovies to edit, only play back on iTunes. I'm using a mac mini 4 GB ram, 2.53 Intel Duo and am more than chagrinned by my neighbor with his PC having had no problems.

Check to make sure there are no Xvid codecs in a QuickTime folder in any of the Mac's Libraries. Those may be causing the problem with opening the application. The conversion from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4 for import to iMovie takes a long time. I don't know why the longer one didn't start to convert. I've found it helpful to have iMovie launched before clicking the iMovie conversion. If you don't do the conversion at the time the recording is finished then you'll need to use a different application to convert the MPEG 2 file to MPEG 4 (preferably h.264 for iMovie. One such application is the freeware MPEG Streamclip which requires Apple's $20 QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component. It sounds like you already have that component since the captured video plays in iTunes.

Note that if you only want to trim out sections of the video then you don't need to use iMovie. Toast has a video editor that allows you to select segments for deletion. After sending the .mpg file to Toast click the Edit button and then click Edit again in the window that appears to launch the Toast Video Player/Editor.