• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

suntan charlie

problem with s-video connection

Question

Hi,

I succesfully transferred a couple of VHS tapes to my computer (iMac 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, running 10.4.11), using the composite connection. With one old black & white concert video I had no succes, "no signal" kept appearing. So I figured, let's try a high end S-Video connector. Still, "no signal". Also, with the S-Video, I get worse results on other tapes, than with the composite connector.

Anyone any tips on this?

Thanks a lot,

Reyer

Amsterdam, the netherlands

8 answers to this question

Hi,

I succesfully transferred a couple of VHS tapes to my computer (iMac 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, running 10.4.11), using the composite connection. With one old black & white concert video I had no succes, "no signal" kept appearing. So I figured, let's try a high end S-Video connector. Still, "no signal". Also, with the S-Video, I get worse results on other tapes, than with the composite connector.

Anyone any tips on this?

Thanks a lot,

Reyer

Amsterdam, the netherlands

As a quick test, try one of the VHS tapes that you have already transferred. If that works ok then your old tape is the problem.

As a quick test, try one of the VHS tapes that you have already transferred. If that works ok then your old tape is the problem.

Thanks, I already did that immediately. That's when I noticed that the S-Video produced worse results than the composite cable.

The S-Video is an expensive one, with gold plated contacts etc., that's why I'm surprised it gives no, and in some cases, worse results.

Thanks, I already did that immediately. That's when I noticed that the S-Video produced worse results than the composite cable.

The S-Video is an expensive one, with gold plated contacts etc., that's why I'm surprised it gives no, and in some cases, worse results.

Tell us what else you have tried.............saves us playing twenty question's with you.

Have you applied the latest update? etc etc.

Tell us what else you have tried.............saves us playing twenty question's with you.

Have you applied the latest update? etc etc.

I have the latest update of the Easy VHS to DVD software.

The vhs-player is a Philips VR 550.

I use a brand new, high quality scart to s-video cable. As I said, it works with the vhs-tapes I captured earlier with the scart-composite cable, only bad video quality. No color, and with lines. With the composite cable, the transfer was fine.

With the tape in question, the composite cable produced no video ("no signal"), audio was fine. The S-Video cable gives the same "no signal" message.

I checked the direction of the scart plug. Did software update on my mac, checked all the cables, restarted all hardware.

I don't know what else to try. I'm hesitant to buy other video capture devices, as almost all of them get bad reviews.

Thanks, all help is greatly appreciated.

Reyer

I have the latest update of the Easy VHS to DVD software.

The vhs-player is a Philips VR 550.

I use a brand new, high quality scart to s-video cable. As I said, it works with the vhs-tapes I captured earlier with the scart-composite cable, only bad video quality. No color, and with lines. With the composite cable, the transfer was fine.

With the tape in question, the composite cable produced no video ("no signal"), audio was fine. The S-Video cable gives the same "no signal" message.

I checked the direction of the scart plug. Did software update on my mac, checked all the cables, restarted all hardware.

I don't know what else to try. I'm hesitant to buy other video capture devices, as almost all of them get bad reviews.

Thanks, all help is greatly appreciated.

Reyer

I want to confirm 100% what you are saying:

Quote "With the composite cable, the transfer was fine" (with the VHS tapes you already used.)

So, this proves the tapes are good, VCR is good, the cables are good, the Roxio software/hardware is good.

Now you put in the old Black and White tape and it does not work.

Have I got this right?

Edited by ogdens

I want to confirm 100% what you are saying:

Quote "With the composite cable, the transfer was fine" (with the VHS tapes you already used.)

So, this proves the tapes are good, VCR is good, the cables are good, the Roxio software/hardware is good.

Now you put in the old Black and White tape and it does not work.

Have I got this right?

Yep, you're right!

Yep, you're right!

You could try another VCR to see if that will provide a better Video out than yours. Another idea is a signal booster (here is one example http://www.amazon.com/Peripheral-PLD10-10X...r/dp/B0015G0JUE ). There is no guarantee this will work.

Also try this VCR OUT to DVD Player IN then to your USB Device, you MAY get a little bit more gain.

Does your VCR player have any Composite (RCA) jacks on it, if yes, try them instead of the Scart.

When you play this old B/W tape and watch it on your TV do you see any obvious video deterioration or sound problems.

FYI:

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/conte...p;set-locale=en

Edited by ogdens

Thanks a lot,

I'll try the VCR OUT to DVD IN connection. Unfortunately, my VCR does not have any other jacks than Scart.

So, another VCR is definitely an option.

The tape itself is not damaged, and does not have any sound problems. In fact, the sound is coming through fine via the Roxio software/hardware. The content, however, is old, and several generations down the line. I guess that's part of the problem?

Thanks again, I'll let you know what happens.

Reyer

You could try another VCR to see if that will provide a better Video out than yours. Another idea is a signal booster (here is one example http://www.amazon.com/Peripheral-PLD10-10X...r/dp/B0015G0JUE ). There is no guarantee this will work.

Also try this VCR OUT to DVD Player IN then to your USB Device, you MAY get a little bit more gain.

Does your VCR player have any Composite (RCA) jacks on it, if yes, try them instead of the Scart.

When you play this old B/W tape and watch it on your TV do you see any obvious video deterioration or sound problems.

FYI:

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/conte...p;set-locale=en