• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
gwgoldb

How can I edit a track?

Question

I'm using Audio Catalyst 2.1 to record some tracks from LPs

for which there are no CDs (and who wants to buy the music

again anyway?)

My main problem is that I sometimes miss the start of the

track because I can't monitor the sound other than in Audio

Catalyst's amplitude bar, which is never zero.

If I record too much (like the end of the previous track),

how can I cut out the part I don't want before burning to a CD?

16 answers to this question

You've inadvertently posted this in the Toast Forum which is for Roxio's Mac applications.

You've inadvertently posted this in the Toast Forum which is for Roxio's Mac applications.

No, not inadvertently. I have Toast 7 and hope there is some way

to edit a track I've recorded using Toast

If you have a Mac Intel you cant as that is one of the applactionin inToast That does not work.

Audacity will work but it is a little awkward but the price is right free you will need patience

Good luck Patiently wating for the update

Rodney

If you have a Mac Intel you cant as that is one of the applactionin inToast That does not work.

Audacity will work but it is a little awkward but the price is right free you will need patience

Good luck Patiently wating for the update

Rodney

But Roxio says:

Toast 7 runs on the Intel-based Macs in Rosetta and operates as expected.

A universal binary version will be provided in the future to Toast 7 users as a compatibility fix.

Prior versions of Toast may also run on the Intel-based Macs in Rosetta, but no further updates are planned.

Popcorn 1 & 2, Jam 6, CD Spin Doctor 3, Motion Pictures 2, and The Boom Box run on the Intel-based Macs in Rosetta and operate as expected. Some products may be updated in the future to provide compatibility to universal binary versions to resolve any issues related to the new platform. Other products will be introduced as universal binary versions as part of the next new major release cycles.

But Roxio says:

Toast 7 runs on the Intel-based Macs in Rosetta and operates as expected.

A universal binary version will be provided in the future to Toast 7 users as a compatibility fix.

Prior versions of Toast may also run on the Intel-based Macs in Rosetta, but no further updates are planned.

Popcorn 1 & 2, Jam 6, CD Spin Doctor 3, Motion Pictures 2, and The Boom Box run on the Intel-based Macs in Rosetta and operate as expected. Some products may be updated in the future to provide compatibility to universal binary versions to resolve any issues related to the new platform. Other products will be introduced as universal binary versions as part of the next new major release cycles.

The above is accurate but Toast does not do audio editing. Included with Toast is CD Spin Doctor which is excellent for marking and separating tracks and applying noise filters. It may be, though, that you'll need to wait for a universal version of Spin Doctor in order to use it on an Intel Mac.

All of it is made by Roxio

This is from Deep Sea software site.

* Statement pertains to audio input devices that are fully compatible with CoreAudio.

** Only presets supported by your audio input device will appear in the list of presets.

*** CD Spin Doctor® 2 currently only supports Mach-O based VST plugins

"CD Spin Doctor®" trademark is owned by Roxio, Inc. and is used with permission.

CD Spin Doctor® 2 application is owned by Roxio, Inc.

The "Noise Reducer" and "Sound Enhancer" audio effects licensed from Algorithmix

VST plugin technology by Steinberg, used under license.

And from my expreance there is no may and it will be well after the universal version of Spin Doctor

All of it is made by Roxio

This is from Deep Sea software site.

* Statement pertains to audio input devices that are fully compatible with CoreAudio.

** Only presets supported by your audio input device will appear in the list of presets.

*** CD Spin Doctor® 2 currently only supports Mach-O based VST plugins

"CD Spin Doctor®" trademark is owned by Roxio, Inc. and is used with permission.

CD Spin Doctor® 2 application is owned by Roxio, Inc.

The "Noise Reducer" and "Sound Enhancer" audio effects licensed from Algorithmix

VST plugin technology by Steinberg, used under license.

And from my expreance there is no may and it will be well after the universal version of Spin Doctor

Did you download Toast 7.1? It includes the universal version of Spin Doctor.

Oh, never mind. I see from your other post that you have and it isn't working right for you.

Edited by tsantee

I see you like your toast with lots of sugar.

Absolutely when blended with butter and cinnamon!

Sorry you're having trouble with Spin Doctor. By the way, Spin Doctor doesn't use the term cut (mentioned in your other thread). Just mark where you want tracks to start and end. The parts that aren't marked are not exported. Don't know why it is crashing on your Mac, though.

If you look under edit you will see cut copy paste and delete what are they for and what does track mode do?

Edited by skrface421

If you look under edit you will see cut copy paste and delete what are they for and what does track mode do?

Those greyed out Cut, Copy and Paste menu items are part of the standard Mac OS menu and are not used with Spin Doctor (which is why they are grey instead of black).

I hadn't paid any attention to the Track mode icons until you asked. If you click the left icon and then click on the waveform you'll see that you can mark tracks by dragging from a start point to an end point. If you click the right icon you'll see that clicking on the wave form automatically marks that as the end point of a new track with the start point being either the beginning of the file (if this is the first track) or at the end of the previous track.

The above is accurate but Toast does not do audio editing. Included with Toast is CD Spin Doctor which is excellent for marking and separating tracks and applying noise filters. It may be, though, that you'll need to wait for a universal version of Spin Doctor in order to use it on an Intel Mac.

To put it another way: is there a way to begin ripping a track

in the middle?

To put it another way: is there a way to begin ripping a track

in the middle?

Not that I'm aware of, but once it's ripped you can use CD SpinDoctor to select part of the track to save as a new audio file or export to Toast.

Not that I'm aware of, but once it's ripped you can use CD SpinDoctor to select part of the track to save as a new audio file or export to Toast.

Sorry to be dense, but I don't see how to do that with SD. If it's called Adjust it's unclear to me how to delete the unwanted part. If it's Record, it doesn't seem as if a preexisting file is considered an audio source.

Can you, or someone, point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to be dense, but I don't see how to do that with SD. If it's called Adjust it's unclear to me how to delete the unwanted part. If it's Record, it doesn't seem as if a preexisting file is considered an audio source.

Can you, or someone, point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

I'm presuming you've ripped music from an audio CD which creates an AIFF file. If it is some other format you'll need to use Toast 7 (or some other application) to first convert the track to AIFF.

Open CD SpinDoctor. Choose Open Previous Audio File and search for the track you've ripped. When you select it SpinDoctor will create a waveform. At the top left of the window click the left-most icon for Track Mode. Now click on the waveform approximately where you want the track to begin and drag to the point where you want it to end. You can zoom the waveform and fine-tune the start and end points by dragging the ends of the track markers. You can zoom even tighter by deselecting the Limit zoom range box in the Waveforms & Tracks panel of SpinDoctor Preferences.

Anything not included in a track marker (in other words, anything that still has a white background) will be excluded from any export of the track(s).

I'm presuming you've ripped music from an audio CD which creates an AIFF file. If it is some other format you'll need to use Toast 7 (or some other application) to first convert the track to AIFF.

Open CD SpinDoctor. Choose Open Previous Audio File and search for the track you've ripped. When you select it SpinDoctor will create a waveform. At the top left of the window click the left-most icon for Track Mode. Now click on the waveform approximately where you want the track to begin and drag to the point where you want it to end. You can zoom the waveform and fine-tune the start and end points by dragging the ends of the track markers. You can zoom even tighter by deselecting the Limit zoom range box in the Waveforms & Tracks panel of SpinDoctor Preferences.

Anything not included in a track marker (in other words, anything that still has a white background) will be excluded from any export of the track(s).

Many thanks! That got me on the right track. It took me a while to figure out

that I had to export the Active (edited) Track to Toast, then export the

Toast file as AIFF.

When I have enough such files collected I can burn an audio CD using Toast.