Blu Ray Format

Derek 111

Question

I just attempted copying an HD movie originally recorded on my TIVO onto a blu ray disc through Creator 2010 pro. I think that I may need to adjust settings.

My first step was to use the Tivo home computer software to transfer the recordings from the TIVO device onto my computer (see config below).

I then started the process of using Creator pro to create the blu ray disc. It took nearly 12 hours to encode and burn the disc. When finished, I attempted to play it in a panasonic blu ray player (Panasonic DMP-BD80 High Clarity Audio Blu-ray Disc Player), the image was "too large" to fit the tv screen (Samsung UN40B6000 40-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV) . By "too large" I mean that I could only see a portion of the movie's titles or scenes (probably 40%) and everything was off center to the lower right of the tv screen. I tried adjusting the player settings, changing from auto to 1080 p, 1080 i, 720, etc. but in all cases I could only see a portion of the overall movie image. I also tried changing the TV's screen size from 16:9 to other settings, but this didn't resolve the problem either.

I am wondering if this has to do with the resolution of my monitors (1680x1050) which might be higher than the resolution of the 1080p Samsung HDTV. Does Roxio process transfer from the computer's hard drive to blu ray disc based on the resolution of the computer's monitors? Is there a way to set Creator to use the resolution of the HDTV instead? I couldn't find any relevant settings in the CXreator software no any information on the website or in the forum.

I would appreciate any help in guiding me as to what settings I may need to change.

1 answer to this question

I just attempted copying an HD movie originally recorded on my TIVO onto a blu ray disc through Creator 2010 pro. I think that I may need to adjust settings.

My first step was to use the Tivo home computer software to transfer the recordings from the TIVO device onto my computer (see config below).

I then started the process of using Creator pro to create the blu ray disc. It took nearly 12 hours to encode and burn the disc. When finished, I attempted to play it in a panasonic blu ray player (Panasonic DMP-BD80 High Clarity Audio Blu-ray Disc Player), the image was "too large" to fit the tv screen (Samsung UN40B6000 40-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV) . By "too large" I mean that I could only see a portion of the movie's titles or scenes (probably 40%) and everything was off center to the lower right of the tv screen. I tried adjusting the player settings, changing from auto to 1080 p, 1080 i, 720, etc. but in all cases I could only see a portion of the overall movie image. I also tried changing the TV's screen size from 16:9 to other settings, but this didn't resolve the problem either.

I am wondering if this has to do with the resolution of my monitors (1680x1050) which might be higher than the resolution of the 1080p Samsung HDTV. Does Roxio process transfer from the computer's hard drive to blu ray disc based on the resolution of the computer's monitors? Is there a way to set Creator to use the resolution of the HDTV instead? I couldn't find any relevant settings in the CXreator software no any information on the website or in the forum.

I would appreciate any help in guiding me as to what settings I may need to change.

1080 is the max size for Blu Ray video, & all your Blu Ray player would output to your HDTV. Either the TV isn't recognizing &/or playing the video for what it is -- e.g. zooming in or pic in pic or something along those lines -- or the video on the disc only shows a portion of the frame -- was similarly zooming in or something when encoded. How's the disc look when played on your PC? That should tell you if the video itself is OK. Also, some players don't like burned discs [as opposed to mass produced retail versions].

Encoding times seem maybe extreme -- I'm new to Creator 2010, but the worst I've seen personally is ~ 1.5 X realtime [e.g. 1/2 hour of video takes 3/4 hour to encode, & my rig should be slower than yours]. IMHO that would point to extra conversions [panning, zooming, resizing...] or problems translating your video into whatever format [mpg2/AVC] you chose.

Archived