Default Region code for DVD-R

jiunsiew

Question

Hi there,

What region code does Toast 7 use for burning DVDs? I couldn't find this setting anywhere when trying to burn a DVD and thought that it would be burnt with a region 0 setting. The burning went without any problems but when I played the disc with the Apple DVD player, it said that the disc was a region 1 disc and had to change the region setting accordingly. I'm in a 'region 4' zone so this isn't very good news for me if I want to use the computer to play locally bought/rented dvds.

This was the first DVD that I've tried playing on this computer and I burnt the DVD from a VIDEO_TS file. I'm pretty sure the encoding was PAL as the program was recorded in that format from EyeTV and I specified to keep that format when creating the disk image.

I also tried playing the disk image using Apple's DVD player and didn't get this problem. It only appeared when I tried playing the burnt DVD.

Is this normal? Is this a problem with Apple's DVD player or Toast, and is there a workaround/solution?

Thanks.

1 answer to this question

Hi there,

What region code does Toast 7 use for burning DVDs? I couldn't find this setting anywhere when trying to burn a DVD and thought that it would be burnt with a region 0 setting. The burning went without any problems but when I played the disc with the Apple DVD player, it said that the disc was a region 1 disc and had to change the region setting accordingly. I'm in a 'region 4' zone so this isn't very good news for me if I want to use the computer to play locally bought/rented dvds.

This was the first DVD that I've tried playing on this computer and I burnt the DVD from a VIDEO_TS file. I'm pretty sure the encoding was PAL as the program was recorded in that format from EyeTV and I specified to keep that format when creating the disk image.

I also tried playing the disk image using Apple's DVD player and didn't get this problem. It only appeared when I tried playing the burnt DVD.

Is this normal? Is this a problem with Apple's DVD player or Toast, and is there a workaround/solution?

Thanks.

Toast-burned DVDs are all region. However, your Apple DVD drive must set a region the first time it plays a DVD. I suggest playing a Region 4 commercial DVD to set the drive's region. Then try the Toast-burned DVD.

Archived