Resolution question - Aiptek GVS & Creator 2010

tangle

Question

Here are the issues:

I need a camcorder, preferrably with an optical zoom and an external mic input. The Aiptek GVS for about $199 does this, but it has a .mov format, and like my other Aiptek camcorder with a .mov format, Creator 2010 VideoWave displays the video fine, but no sound. I've seen other posts of people having this problem. So I have to convert .movs to .avi (or mpeg) to get sound and audio for the clip in VideoWave. It takes a looooong time for the conversion.

The Aiptek GVS has the following resolutions:

HD: 30f - 1440x1080 pixels

HD: 60f - 1280x720 pixels

WVGA: 60f(DVD) 848x480 pixels

Most of my efforts are for Youtube or DVD so I don't know that I really need super high resolution, plus, I would think a conversion involving 1440x1080 would take forever.

I have had some problems in VW with the 60f speed - it just shows up black

Since the WVGA is for a DVD it is likely interlaced and I have no idea what VW would do with that.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks once again,

Tangle

3 answers to this question

Use GSpot or Media Info (both free) to check the files. I'm guess the 1440x1080 is also interlaced. 1440X1080i is the HDV standard format. If you could upload sample files in all three formats to YouSendIt or some other file sharing service and post the link here, we would be happy to check the files for you. Aiptek is notorious for using non-standard file format with mono audio.

---

I found one sample on the net. It was the middle one. MPEG 4 1280x720p @6.35Mbps audio AAC@ 128kbps 48Khz

Videowave did indeed import with no audio and had difficulty playing it back. I'll have to check my version of Quicktime.

Wow - Gary,

As they say, "It's a small world." I was raised in Knoxville, graduated from UT, now live in Chattanooga - why I can almost see you from here!

A colleague and good friend, that retired last year, lives in Maryville. My next door neighbor's name is Gary and grew up in Maryville and his parents still live there.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

The Aiptek is a good camera at a good price, but their .mov format is a pain to use in VW. Works good in QT though. The conversion has worked pretty good for me - it just takes sooo long, but it does give me the sound. But when I shot some video with my present Aiptek camera (1080p) somehow I had it on the 60fps and when I converted the 260Mb .mov file, I wound up with a 14GB .avi file - that's right 14GB!

I also use a helmet cam with a resolution of 720x480 .avi and that res really looks pretty good on YouTube and DVDs. VW works great with them too.

If you come up with anything I'd sure appreciate it; I'm in a bit over my head here. I'd like to buy the camera right away, but not if it's gonna be a lot of trouble to edit etc.

Thanks,

Ron

Use GSpot or Media Info (both free) to check the files. I'm guess the 1440x1080 is also interlaced. 1440X1080i is the HDV standard format. If you could upload sample files in all three formats to YouSendIt or some other file sharing service and post the link here, we would be happy to check the files for you. Aiptek is notorious for using non-standard file format with mono audio.

---

I found one sample on the net. It was the middle one. MPEG 4 1280x720p @6.35Mbps audio AAC@ 128kbps 48Khz

Videowave did indeed import with no audio and had difficulty playing it back. I'll have to check my version of Quicktime.

Archived