• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Easy CD Creator 6 problem

Version 6 - you really should upgrade.

Version 9 or 10 in Vista.

Version 9 or 10 in XP.

Version 10 in Windows 7 - try the Vista instructions.

I see. I have Easy CD Creator 6, and recently had a HDD crash.

When I try to run the setup.exe, after entering my CD Key all I get is a blank message box with nothing in it but a yellow triangle containing an exclamation mark, and an OK button, with a title of Warning. There is no text, explanation, or error code. This is an endless loop. I click OK, the box closes then I click next on the CD Key screen, and the box pops up again. I have to cancel out of the wizard.

When I try to run the install.exe, several different things happen. it always starts normally,and asks if I accept the terms, but never gets as far as askiing for the CD Key. Sometimes it says the wizard was inturrpted, and for me to click finish to exit the wizard. Sometimes it will pop up an error box saying it can not find "YES", and when I click OK, it exits. Other times it will just exit with no errors or anything.

It can not be a previous version installed because this is a fresh drive with a fresh install off the OS. I tried two other XP machines I have, and get the same behavior.

I do have a laptop with it installed, and if I remember correctly, it was a real knock-down drag-out fight to get it installed. It too is running XP with SP-3.

I have been trying now for 6 weeks to get an answer from Roxio, and they just ignore my messages, so I'm assuming that they have deemed themselves just too good to respoond to support questions, and that tech support is nothing more than a figure of speach. I have also been trying for a very long time to register my product, but the website won't accept my CD key, saying This service is unavable at this time, please try again later. I have been asking Roxio for assistance on this matter too, but to date, I have never gotten any responses what-so-ever. 4 1/2 years? Come-----on, really, how pathetic is that?

Hmm, website broken, softwre broken, arrogant indifference... Let's see, where have I seen this pattren before, Ah yes! Microsoft, just before the government cut them down to size and put them in their place. Perhaps that wouldn't be such a bad thing should the same happen to Roxio.

Upgrading would certainly be an option, but wouldn't it be foolish to buy Softwre from a company that has a broken site, and no tech support? I have already given them $100.00 of my hard earned money, and look what i got in return...

I would really appreciate some help. This entire situatoin has grown quite tiresome, and I'm starting to regret buying this horrible software.

Thanks,

Jim.

When I try to run the setup.exe, after entering my CD Key all I get is a blank message box with nothing in it but a yellow triangle containing an exclamation mark, and an OK button, with a title of Warning. There is no text, explanation, or error code. This is an endless loop. I click OK, the box closes then I click next on the CD Key screen, and the box pops up again. I have to cancel out of the wizard.

When I try to run the install.exe, several different things happen. it always starts normally,and asks if I accept the terms, but never gets as far as askiing for the CD Key. Sometimes it says the wizard was inturrpted, and for me to click finish to exit the wizard. Sometimes it will pop up an error box saying it can not find "YES", and when I click OK, it exits. Other times it will just exit with no errors or anything.

It can not be a previous version installed because this is a fresh drive with a fresh install off the OS. I tried two other XP machines I have, and get the same behavior.

I do have a laptop with it installed, and if I remember correctly, it was a real knock-down drag-out fight to get it installed. It too is running XP with SP-3.

I have been trying now for 6 weeks to get an answer from Roxio, and they just ignore my messages, so I'm assuming that they have deemed themselves just too good to respoond to support questions, and that tech support is nothing more than a figure of speach. I have also been trying for a very long time to register my product, but the website won't accept my CD key, saying This service is unavable at this time, please try again later. I have been asking Roxio for assistance on this matter too, but to date, I have never gotten any responses what-so-ever. 4 1/2 years? Come-----on, really, how pathetic is that?

Hmm, website broken, softwre broken, arrogant indifference... Let's see, where have I seen this pattren before, Ah yes! Microsoft, just before the government cut them down to size and put them in their place. Perhaps that wouldn't be such a bad thing should the same happen to Roxio.

Upgrading would certainly be an option, but wouldn't it be foolish to buy Softwre from a company that has a broken site, and no tech support? I have already given them $100.00 of my hard earned money, and look what i got in return...

I would really appreciate some help. This entire situatoin has grown quite tiresome, and I'm starting to regret buying this horrible software.

Thanks,

Jim.

Version 6 has been ou of production for at least 5 years and no longer supported for years.

What broken website? It works perfectly

Hello Jim,

So you have a fresh drive with a fresh XP install and SP3. How far up-to-date is your XP? In particular, what version of Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player does it use?

I had never installed Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 in Windows XP with SP3 before, so I went and did it a few minutes ago. I was ready for problems, but I have to say it installed very smoothly with nary a problem. I accepted the drive recognition update that was offered, and popped off the rest of the Easy CD and DVD updates in a couple of minutes. It is now sitting happily at version 6.1.1.17 for Creator Classic.

I wonder if you have installed a version of I.E. that's later than version 6, or a Windows Media Player that's later than version 9. These are the versions available when Easy CD and DVD 6 was current software, and later versions of these two vital programs have been known to cripple or kill the early versions of Creator software. You are unlikely to ever make the Roxio software work properly if you have IE 7 or WMP 11.

I have been trying now for 6 weeks to get an answer from Roxio, and they just ignore my messages, so I'm assuming that they have deemed themselves just too good to respoond to support questions, and that tech support is nothing more than a figure of speach. I have also been trying for a very long time to register my product, but the website won't accept my CD key, saying This service is unavable at this time, please try again later.

The product has been "Out of Support Time" for 4 or 5 years now, and the page where Version 6 used to take you for registration no longer exists. I think that would explain your lack of response from Support [there might well be nobody left there who was trained on version 6] and the reason the "Register" button in 6 gets you a 404 error from the site.

If you didn't register your version when you first got it but want to register it now, click the Support button at the top of this page and select Product Registration. You'll be asked to log in to your account, and then shown a list of your registered products. Under that is a button you can click to register a "new" product. I tried it - nothing broken.

Well, you finally arrived here today and we volunteers have given you immediate attention. I'm sorry my answer suggests you probably won't be able to run the old software if you've updated your IE and/or WMP, but at least you have a response and know your position.

Regards,

Brendon

Hello Jim,

So you have a fresh drive with a fresh XP install and SP3. How far up-to-date is your XP? In particular, what version of Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player does it use?

I have the latest updates for XP, and I am using IE 8, and WMP 11 with the latest updates.

I had never installed Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 in Windows XP with SP3 before, so I went and did it a few minutes ago. I was ready for problems, but I have to say it installed very smoothly with nary a problem. I accepted the drive recognition update that was offered, and popped off the rest of the Easy CD and DVD updates in a couple of minutes. It is now sitting happily at version 6.1.1.17 for Creator Classic.

I wonder if you have installed a version of I.E. that's later than version 6, or a Windows Media Player that's later than version 9. These are the versions available when Easy CD and DVD 6 was current software, and later versions of these two vital programs have been known to cripple or kill the early versions of Creator software. You are unlikely to ever make the Roxio software work properly if you have IE 7 or WMP 11.

The one machine that it is installed on has IE8 and WMP 11, and it runs fine, but it was installed a very long time ago before all the updates. Come to think of it, It was IE 6, WMP 9, and if I'm not mistaken, it was still SP-2.

The product has been "Out of Support Time" for 4 or 5 years now, and the page where Version 6 used to take you for registration no longer exists. I think that would explain your lack of response from Support [there might well be nobody left there who was trained on version 6] and the reason the "Register" button in 6 gets you a 404 error from the site.

How much training does one need to type a message saying that they no longer support that version?

I never got a 404 error, I get a message saying that the service is unavalable at this time please try again later. in red lettering.

If you didn't register your version when you first got it but want to register it now, click the Support button at the top of this page and select Product Registration. You'll be asked to log in to your account, and then shown a list of your registered products. Under that is a button you can click to register a "new" product. I tried it - nothing broken.

I guess that when it says service unavalable, that means everything is working properly. Does that mean that no one at Roxio is trained on webste design either? So that is why I never got a response to any of the messages about the site?

Well, you finally arrived here today and we volunteers have given you immediate attention. I'm sorry my answer suggests you probably won't be able to run the old software if you've updated your IE and/or WMP, but at least you have a response and know your position.

Regards,

Brendon

yes, and I do appreciate it. I will try to install it on a Windows 2000 System just to see if it works. I never even thought about trying that. not sure about downgrading IE ,and WMP, I would be afaid of adverse affects.

Udpate: Tried it on 2k using IE 6 WMP 9,and guess what..the EXACT same thing. right after I put in my CD key, a box pops up with no error code,or explanatin, just a title or Warning, an OK button, and a yellow Triangle with an exclamation mark. Oh well, looks like I got ripped off for 100 bucks. yeah, right, I'll buy another Roxio product....When hades freezes over....

Thanks,

Jim.

Sorry Jim, I can't produce the error you're describing, and I don't know what would be causing it.

Mine installed smoothly a few days ago, but then I only install the Microsoft updates that I really want so my Operating System is very nearly "original". I've found that if you keep updating your OS you really need to keep updating your other software to keep up with it.

If you've had 5 or 6 years of use out of this version, it may be time to move on.

Regards,

Brendon

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

Jim.

Jim,

I feel your pain, but here's some info: Creator 6 likes XP SP1 or SP2. All the updates to your OS are the likely cause. Specifically, the CD/DVD drive updates are incompatible with the original program. I have a copy of WP SP2 Professional, as well as an unknown SP# of XP Home Edition. I also have all 8 of the original Roxio company's downloadable updates to v. 6, which it no longer has available. (That's what naturally happens when support is terminated by a company for an old program.) No company leaves all it's old programs available forever...NO company, so try not to be mad at Roxio. If you were the CEO and wanted to continue getting business, you have to end support for the old stuff sooner or later, and the drive space is preciously expensive to maintain for this. Remember, Creator has had at least 12 versions, with all their upgrades, over what? 18 years? We have to be reasonable on our end, also. New hardware is constantly evolving, as are operating systems and the motherboard hardware, also. CD drives have changed from IDE versions to estata, and the ensuing paramters are endless. On top of that, you and I and a few holdouts for Creator 6 are probably in the small minority who even care about the detail that v. 6 allowed. Today, kids are saving .mp3s with no need for covers and CD & DVD labels, so the need for v. 6 is less as time goes on. They are primarily video creatures, and there are fewer and fewer of them focusing on jewel cases and the like. Roxio has to keep up with different competetors and programs much different than in the days of Creator 6.

Roxio isn't the same group as it used to be. It was bought out and all the people who built the original v. 6 are scattered all across the U.S., so you have to understand the company CAN'T give you support it doesn't have info for. I'm currently working with my computer shop people to identify just how v. 6 can be run on today's machines. Currently, the progress has some hope in this idea: Reformat your hard drive and create a separate partition for XP SP1 or SP2, then load your Creator 6 and all 8 updates. Load a printer in that partitiion, as well. DON'T do security updates in that partition...leave it alone. Load your current OS on the main partition and you can update that partition as much as you like. The question is then whether the partitioned program will recognize the CD burners and whether the printer will operate correctly, as well. My shop is working on these problems, as we speak. Now, if I can just be patient, maybe we'll get lucky and find a way to do this.

If you'd like to communicate, use reedrainey@comcast.net.

Archived