• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

hhiker42

Toast 10 Buffer Underrun with fit to compression

Question

I am able to burn a Dual Layer DVD from my video_ts folder.

However, If I use fit-to-compression to burn the same folder onto a single layer dvd I get problems as soon as it finishes compressing and looks for the DVD to start burning:

"Buffer Underrrun Error. Writing was halted because data could not be sent to the recorder fast enough to maintain the current write speed. Please try again with a slower write speed."

Followed by:

"Couldn't set up the track for writing."

My ideas ...

1 - The compression isn't the write size and is actually slightly to large to fit on a single layer DVD-R?

2 - The program gives up looking for the DVD before the computer is able to get the DVD spinning?

I am using Toast 10.06a (or whatever the latest update release was?) I am using an iMac version 10.5.8. I have tried manually slowing the write speed to slower settings. I have made images and then tried to burn them. I submitted a tech request and I am waiting for a response. I will post any working solutions they give.

Until then, has anyone else encountered this and how did you fix it?

Please don't suggest other programs that cost more money.

8 answers to this question

You got the same error when trying to burn from a disc image? What size is the disc image? Does the content of the VIDEO_TS folder have ac-3 (Dolby Digital) audio or PCM audio or both?

You got the same error when trying to burn from a disc image? What size is the disc image? Does the content of the VIDEO_TS folder have ac-3 (Dolby Digital) audio or PCM audio or both?

The VIDEO_TS folder is 7.61 GB. When I tried the workaround "Make an image file first". I used Toast and when it asked "What type of disc will you be burning to?" I chose "Single Layer" DVD and had fit-to-compression checked. The resulting toast image ended up being 7.62 GB?

Then when I went to burn the image Toast went through the same "Compressing and Extracting" stage and then failed when it went to burn. That is why I think Toast isn't compressing properly and then getting a buffer underrun when it goes to burn.

Either way I shouldn't have use a workaround. Toast should work from the VIDEO_TS folder. Especially since it works just fine when I burn it to a Dual Layer DVD.

The VIDEO_TS folder only has *.VOB, *.BUP and *.IFO files. So I don't know about Dolby or PCM audio?

Technical support just gave me a general link: http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/conte...S=set-locale=en and I have already done all their suggestions. I am not sure they even read the details of the request I sent.

The VIDEO_TS folder is 7.61 GB. When I tried the workaround "Make an image file first". I used Toast and when it asked "What type of disc will you be burning to?" I chose "Single Layer" DVD and had fit-to-compression checked. The resulting toast image ended up being 7.62 GB?

Then when I went to burn the image Toast went through the same "Compressing and Extracting" stage and then failed when it went to burn. That is why I think Toast isn't compressing properly and then getting a buffer underrun when it goes to burn.

Either way I shouldn't have use a workaround. Toast should work from the VIDEO_TS folder. Especially since it works just fine when I burn it to a Dual Layer DVD.

The VIDEO_TS folder only has *.VOB, *.BUP and *.IFO files. So I don't know about Dolby or PCM audio?

Technical support just gave me a general link: http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/conte...S=set-locale=en and I have already done all their suggestions. I am not sure they even read the details of the request I sent.

Toast cannot adequately compress a VIDEO_TS folder of that size when the video it contains has PCM audio (which is uncompressed audio). The problem is that the audio takes up so much space on the single-layer disc that there isn't enough room for the video. That's why I'm curious if that is the issue in this case.

You can tell what kind of audio it has by choosing VIDEO_TS folders as the setting in the Video window and adding your VIDEO_TS folder. The summary that appears should describe the audio. You also can click Options and then Custom to see the audio for each of the video titles.

If the audio is PCM there may be options. For example, some DVDs have both AC-3 and PCM audio. Using the custom settings click the ABC button next to a title and you can choose a specific audio track if multiple ones are present. You also can use the DVD video setting in the Video window to extract the video title you want from the VIDEO_TS folder, choose Always re-encode in Toast's custom encoder settings window and have Toast re-encode the PCM audio to Dolby Digital. If you do that I recommend choosing Save as Disc Image and then using the Image File setting to burn the DVD.

If your VIDEO_TS folder doesn't have PCM audio then I'm bewildered. I haven't heard of a buffer underrun error in years. What that means is the optical drive is waiting for data that isn't being received fast enough. This was a problem with USB 1 optical drives. Are you burning with an internal or external drive?

Edited by tsantee

Toast cannot adequately compress a VIDEO_TS folder of that size when the video it contains has PCM audio (which is uncompressed audio). The problem is that the audio takes up so much space on the single-layer disc that there isn't enough room for the video. That's why I'm curious if that is the issue in this case.

You can tell what kind of audio it has by choosing VIDEO_TS folders as the setting in the Video window and adding your VIDEO_TS folder. The summary that appears should describe the audio. You also can click Options and then Custom to see the audio for each of the video titles.

If the audio is PCM there may be options. For example, some DVDs have both AC-3 and PCM audio. Using the custom settings click the ABC button next to a title and you can choose a specific audio track if multiple ones are present. You also can use the DVD video setting in the Video window to extract the video title you want from the VIDEO_TS folder, choose Always re-encode in Toast's custom encoder settings window and have Toast re-encode the PCM audio to Dolby Digital. If you do that I recommend choosing Save as Disc Image and then using the Image File setting to burn the DVD.

If your VIDEO_TS folder doesn't have PCM audio then I'm bewildered. I haven't heard of a buffer underrun error in years. What that means is the optical drive is waiting for data that isn't being received fast enough. This was a problem with USB 1 optical drives. Are you burning with an internal or external drive?

I checked the Audio and it is all Dolby 5.1

Tech support gave me another suggestion. They had me create a new user account and use it from there.

I have the same problem.

It will successfully burn to a dual layer DVD but won't compress and burn to a single layer DVD?

Toast will finish the compression and then it starts to burn. I hear the DVD just start to spin and Toast gives up and declares a underrun error. I wish could get Toast to make a compressed image. That way I wouldn't have to keep compressing it to try burning it. Do you (or anyone) know how to that? Plus I could look to see that the image is the right size.

Thanks for the help.

It worked! Kind of ...

I had tried two different types of Blank DVD's. Bother were -R

So I went out and bought some new DVD +R and tried one. It went past the compression stage and started writing.

At 80% it bailed and gave:

The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = Illegal Request

Sense Code = 0x21, 0x02

Buffer Underrun

I am now trying another +R DVD. I'll Post if it works (or not)

It worked! Kind of ...

So I went out and bought some new DVD +R and tried one. It went past the compression stage and started writing.

Sense Code = 0x21, 0x02

Buffer Underrun

I tried again. Same -New- Error at the 80% mark??

Any Ideas now?

It worked! Kind of ...

Sense Code = 0x21, 0x02

Buffer Underrun

I tried again. Same -New- Error at the 80% mark??

Any Ideas now?

It should have worked to save a single-layer disc image file that is small enough to burn to a single-layer disc. I'm puzzled why you ended up with a disc image file that still was that big. I'm wondering if there is something about that VIDEO_TS folder that is causing the problem with Toast.

If you're willing to do some experimenting I'd like you to try an alternative approach. Choose DVD video as the format in the Video window and drag the VIDEO_TS folder to the Toast window. You should see each of the individual titles listed as separate movies. What you're doing now is creating a new menu so give the titles names that you want in your menu and choose a menu style. Also name your new DVD. When this is done choose Save as Disc Image. When that is complete choose this disc image you just saved using the Image File setting in the Copy window and burn your single-layer DVD. Toast should complete the compression properly. If this does work then we know there is something in the original VIDEO_TS folder that is causing the problem.

I tried what you said and during import it said some of the files are "in an unsupported format and cannot be imported". So there must be a problem in the files.

Strange that Toast could burn a dual layer DVD but couldn't compress it to fit on a single layer. I am happy with the dual layer so it's fine.

Thanks for all your time and help.

It should have worked to save a single-layer disc image file that is small enough to burn to a single-layer disc. I'm puzzled why you ended up with a disc image file that still was that big. I'm wondering if there is something about that VIDEO_TS folder that is causing the problem with Toast.

If you're willing to do some experimenting I'd like you to try an alternative approach. Choose DVD video as the format in the Video window and drag the VIDEO_TS folder to the Toast window. You should see each of the individual titles listed as separate movies. What you're doing now is creating a new menu so give the titles names that you want in your menu and choose a menu style. Also name your new DVD. When this is done choose Save as Disc Image. When that is complete choose this disc image you just saved using the Image File setting in the Copy window and burn your single-layer DVD. Toast should complete the compression properly. If this does work then we know there is something in the original VIDEO_TS folder that is causing the problem.

I tried what you said and during import it said some of the files are "in an unsupported format and cannot be imported". So there must be a problem in the files.

Strange that Toast could burn a dual layer DVD but couldn't compress it to fit on a single layer. I am happy with the dual layer so it's fine.

Thanks for all your time and help.

Those unsupported files are some non-video files in the VIDEO_TS folder so they don't matter. Just click okay and proceed to have Toast make a new DVD from the titles that appear in the video window with a menu created by Toast.

Rather than dragging the VIDEO_TS folder to the Toast window with DVD video selected as the format, the official way is to choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser. Use the browser to locate the VIDEO_TS folder and drag the titles to the Video window from the browser. That way you won't get the message about the unsupported files. Either way it should work fine.