• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Losing Title in DVD Builder

dwytmar

Question

I'm trying to create a DVD in DVD Builder (EMC v. 7) on Windows XP. I created a 4-minute AVI movie in Adobe Premiere Pro, and I bring it into DVD Builder. The movie has a 5-second title over black screen at the beginning of the movie, and then the video starts. When I put it into DVD Builder, it doesn't show the title at all, but the first frame of the video is frozen for five seconds, then the video kicks in, which appears to run fine. I have the same type of title over black screen at the end, and that comes out just fine. I don't think it's a problem with the burner, because when I preview the DVD in DVD Builder, it doesn't work right there either. I don't think the AVI file is the problem, because if I open it in Windows Media Player, it works just fine. I downloaded the most recent DVD Builder service pack, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks for any help.

Dave

15 answers to this question

I asked for the "specs" in the hope that someone smarter than me would stumble onto this thread…

You could try an export from Adobe in mpeg2 format to see if there is any change.

Of course you can add a color panel to VW, add text and set the duration. I like using one program or suite to do it all whenever possible. As I understand it, VW gives Adobe a good run for the money.

Guest mlpasley

I have a dumb question.....

What happens if you preview that movie that you exported in Windows Media Player?

The purpose would be to see if there is something wrong with the exported avi file or if the problem is within DVD Builder.

Quote: "I don't think the AVI file is the problem, because if I open it in Windows Media Player, it works just fine."

I think the OP has suggested that the avi file was opened in WMP and it worked just fine. Or am I mis-reading something different into your suggestion ml ?

A very long time ago I ws using Adobe Premiere and some of my work had titles at the front, but as I remember they always played fine, but I never had EMC7 or 8 to try it on either. Is there any way in DVD builder you can edit the file or see what is happening in the edit mode in the first 5 seconds. The fact that the screen is blank for 5 seconds indicates that at least the time track is O.K. for that portion of the DVD.

Frank....

James

Thanks for the suggestions. I opened it in Video Wave and it acts the same way as it does in DVD Builder - the title doesn't show up.

I'm not sure what specs you need for the AVI file. It's 720x480, Bit rate of 1536 kbps, 16 bit audio sample. PCM audio format, and 29 frames/sec. Maybe I have to change to export settings in Premier before I export it to a movie file?

Thanks again for any help

Dave

I know you said you can play the file in WMP. Have you tried to load it into Windows Movie Maker and see if it plays there. If yes you could perhaps use WMM to output to another avi file which Videowave and/or DVD builder will accept.

Guest mlpasley
Quote: "I don't think the AVI file is the problem, because if I open it in Windows Media Player, it works just fine."

Frank....

Sorry. If I could read it would solve a lot of problems. :)

I wonder if there is something wrong with that first frame since that's what freezes for 5 seconds.

There are a couple of things you can try. You might try an Advanced edit and insert a black color panel in front of your movie and then seeing if your title will play after the black color panel. It should be a seamless transition because you're dealing with digital.

The other thing you could try would be an advanced edit and Adjust the duration to advance one frame and mark the begining at that point.

Of course, both would be easier to do if you put that .avi file on a storyline in VideoWave.

Your original avi file won't be changed in either the DVD Builder or VideoWave productions

No problem ml, I have done that myself. After I replied with that statement, I thought you had meant Windows Movie Maker like myguggi suggested, and just a slip on the old keyboard.

That sounds like a pretty good idea ml. Placing a blank colored panel just before the 5 second freeze might indicate what's happening. It also just might play right through the 5 second one O.K. like the same one he has at the end of the production.

Frank....

Thanks for all the replies. It's helpful though my head is spinning. The AVI files works perfectly in Windows Media Player. I opened the AVI file in Windows movie maker and it worked fine there, though it split the movie up into about a dozen clips.

I'm not a pro at this - just a weekend warrior, trying to make sense of all the formats, and just trying to find a way to make movies simply and easily, but it never seems to go that way. I've made 6 movies so far, all about 4 minutes long. I started out making movies with Ulead Video Studio 7.0 and that worked fine. It created a movie (when I right-clicked on properties it tells me it's a Movie file (MPEG)). The movies I made with Ulead come in fine to DVD Builder - everything works perfectly.

Then I go to Premiere and make movies there. I like the program because it gives me lots of flexibility and I find it very easy to edit and tweak my clips (Ulead was a basic program and limited options). I export those movies from Premiere to an AVI-DV file, and that's the file that's causing me problems in DVD Builder. It's called a "video clip" in properties and the size is a lot bigger than the MPEG from Ulead.

So when I export the movie in MPEG-2 DVD format from Premiere (I'm under the impression that MPEG-2 is really the format I should be using for digital video and DVDs), it creates two files - a wave sound and an M2V file, which DVD Builder doesn't recognize. I have a version of DVDit! LE which lets me create a disc just fine from the wave sound and M2v files, but DVDit! LE doesn't recognize the MPEGs that were created from Ulead.

All I want to do is get my six movies on one DVD, and none of the programs seems to let me do that. DVD Builder came the closest, but it's falling short.

That's a lot of information, and thanks for reading this far. Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Dave

Thanks for all the replies. It's helpful though my head is spinning. The AVI files works perfectly in Windows Media Player. I opened the AVI file in Windows movie maker and it worked fine there, though it split the movie up into about a dozen clips.

I'm not a pro at this - just a weekend warrior, trying to make sense of all the formats, and just trying to find a way to make movies simply and easily, but it never seems to go that way. I've made 6 movies so far, all about 4 minutes long. I started out making movies with Ulead Video Studio 7.0 and that worked fine. It created a movie (when I right-clicked on properties it tells me it's a Movie file (MPEG)). The movies I made with Ulead come in fine to DVD Builder - everything works perfectly.

Then I go to Premiere and make movies there. I like the program because it gives me lots of flexibility and I find it very easy to edit and tweak my clips (Ulead was a basic program and limited options). I export those movies from Premiere to an AVI-DV file, and that's the file that's causing me problems in DVD Builder. It's called a "video clip" in properties and the size is a lot bigger than the MPEG from Ulead.

So when I export the movie in MPEG-2 DVD format from Premiere (I'm under the impression that MPEG-2 is really the format I should be using for digital video and DVDs), it creates two files - a wave sound and an M2V file, which DVD Builder doesn't recognize. I have a version of DVDit! LE which lets me create a disc just fine from the wave sound and M2v files, but DVDit! LE doesn't recognize the MPEGs that were created from Ulead.

All I want to do is get my six movies on one DVD, and none of the programs seems to let me do that. DVD Builder came the closest, but it's falling short.

That's a lot of information, and thanks for reading this far. Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Dave

First of all, if you want to do any video editing using Videowave, keep your video clips in the avi format. Editing seems to be easier and quicker. The Avi files will be much larger then mpeg files since the are basically uncompressed while mpeg files are highly compressed and are uncompressed anyway when you edit them. It is also a good idea to keep the time of individual clips down to 10 minutes or so, makes for quicker preview updates, etc.

What is the original source of the video you work on in Premiere Elements? Can you not just bring that video into Videowave and do everything there?

My guess would be that the AVI is the problem.

Try loading it into VideoWave and see how it behaves.

ggrussell is our defacto Adobe expert so he may be able to shed some light on this when he stops by.

It would be nice if you post the specs of the AVI file too.

I'm not interested in doing work in Video Wave. I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5 - I know how o use that program, and I like the options it gives me, along with its compatibility with the Adobe series of programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.). I'm just trying to find a program that will let me make a DVD. DVD Builder almost does it, but not quite. I want to get to a point where this is a simple process - make a video, burn a DVD. With this current movie I made (and this video works fine in the Windows Media Player, so the movie is probably not the problem), DVD Builder cuts out the first title frame of the video (it just doesn't show up in DVD Builder) and freezes the first frame of the movie for the five seconds that the title appears on the screen), the audio comes in right on time, and then the video catches up a second later. The rest of the movie works fine.

Is there an adjustment I need to make in Premiere when I export the movie to make it more acceptable to DVD Builder, or is there some settings that need to be tweaked in DVD Builder so that it accepts this file?

And I'm not even going to consider opening the movie in Video Wave (adding a black screen, new title, etc.)to adjust it so that DVD Builder can accept it. That may work for this file, but it may not for the next video or the one after that. I don't want to have to re-invent and re-explore this process everytime I make a new movie. I need a DVD program that works, and if DVD Builder doesn't, then I will have to ditch it and explore another DVD program. But it seems that I'm getting close to make it work, and I'd like to figure it out.

I hope I don't sound bitchy, because I appreciate the help. I am just frustrated that I always hear about how easy all this is, when it really isn't. I just want it to work.

Thanks for any comments.

Guest mlpasley

I'm afraid that I don't know enough about Premier to help.

Does Premier have a forum where you could ask how other people burn their movies that they made in Premier?

There is probably an easy solution to get that movie into DVD Builder, but I don't know what it is and I can hear you getting frustrated.

Based on your comments regarding the continued adament use of Premiere Pro and the questions about changing some of the options or tweaks that you can make in it so it can be used in EMC DVDbuilder, you should probably ask Premiere tech support that question. There are some users on this forum that have used Premiere but for detailed questions about it, I suggest using their support. (i.e Premiere).

And have you tried any of the other suggestions (besides Videowave) that have been posted ? It would seem to me that if you have EMC it might be helpful to find out some of the things that it is capable of, and that includes Videowave. Most anything you do in Videowave as far as options go, will be received very well in DVDbuilder. I assume that's why a lot of the replies are suggesting that you try placing your video in it and adjusting it to play the way you are wanting it to. In the mean time I really hope you can find an answer to your problem, even if it means using some other program.

Frank....

James

Thanks for the suggestions. I opened it in Video Wave and it acts the same way as it does in DVD Builder - the title doesn't show up.

I'm not sure what specs you need for the AVI file. It's 720x480, Bit rate of 1536 kbps, 16 bit audio sample. PCM audio format, and 29 frames/sec. Maybe I have to change to export settings in Premier before I export it to a movie file?

Thanks again for any help

Dave

I am going to go through some Premiere forums, but I know their response is going to be to use Encore to build the DVD, which is the Adobe product. I'm leaving that as a last resort because it would be another couple of hundred buck to spend on that program (and no guarantee that it would do any better at compiling all the different movies I've got).

I've got these DVD programs (DVD Builder and DVDit! LE) and I'd like to try to get them to work. I'll just have to keep tinkering, I suppose...

I really appreciate all the input.

Dave

Guest mlpasley

You might try a forum like www.videohelp.com. They have people who use different (sometimes free) programs and they have various guides for different programs.

I don't know if they can help, but it might be worth a visit.

Archived