Sign in to follow this  
Random Noise

Clean Install Not Possible

Hi,

I've been using RecordNow for some time, with good results. I recently installed something on my machine called SpeedUpMyPC, and started getting a RecordNow error message "unable to find network resource". After looking at the support stuff here on the website I decided a full uninstall of RecordNow and a clean re-install would probably do the trick.

So, having uninstalled the SpeedUpMyPC thing, I followed the intructions for a complete uninstall. However, it would not let me uninstall a file called DC_ShellExt.dll. I got rid of everything else, downloaded RecordNow 10 and proceeded to install it. I couldn't complete the process, because I got the error message "Unable to find certificate file". It's mpossible to cancel the installation process - it cycles round and round.

So now, everytime I start up, it tries to complete the installation and I get the same error message. Logically, it seems to me that the DC_ShellExt.dll file is the root cause of the problem. Any ideas on how to solve this? Thanks in advance for anything you can suggest.

First off go to Microsoft and download and run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

Look for Roxio Record Now and highlight and remove.

This will tell Windows that it's not installed.

Now try and install again.

If that doesn't work,run the program again and remove again if it's there.

Now do a search on your computer for the word certificate.

If anything Roxio comes up delete it.

The last thing I'd try is a registry edit.There could be an entry left over.

Don't even try this if you're uncomfortable with it.

First off go to Microsoft and download and run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

Look for Roxio Record Now and highlight and remove.

This will tell Windows that it's not installed.

Now try and install again.

If that doesn't work,run the program again and remove again if it's there.

Now do a search on your computer for the word certificate.

If anything Roxio comes up delete it.

The last thing I'd try is a registry edit.There could be an entry left over.

Don't even try this if you're uncomfortable with it.

Thanks! Have used the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Still no good on install, so did it again. Removed everything Roxio and Sonic from the PC, and checked for certificate as suggested. Also did the registry edit. But there are two files I couldn't delete: one is C:\Program Files\Roxio\Virtual Drive 10\DC_ShellExt.dll and the other is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DLL Shared\cdral.dll. So I decided to ignore them and install again. This time it appears to have worked OK. A bit of a mystery, but never mind. Thanks very much indeed for the help.

Hope it all works ok.

One thing you can try is if you find a file it won't let you delete is to try and move the file to your desktop,reboot and then try deleting it from there.