appleamb

Music Cd Created By Toast Won't Play On The Creating Machine

Question

I am running Toast 6.1 on an iBook with Mac OS 10.4.

I use Spin Doctor to make aiff files from vinyl records.

I put the music tracks into Toast and choose record.

Toast finishes the process and tries to mount the CD.

The iBook will not accept the CD. Says it can't play it. The CD plays on my Mac at work and my wife's workplace Wintel.

Also, is there any way to make the track names show up in iTunes?[/size]

9 answers to this question

It's difficult to guess why the iBook is refusing to mount the disc. Perhaps you can try a different brand of blank media or try a laser cleaning disc.

As for the track names, the Mac OS does not read the CD Text written to audio CDs. Instead it depends on track info to be either downloaded from CDDB or entered manually in iTunes and then written to a database file in one of the Mac's preferences folders.

There is an Applescript available which will transfer the CD Text info to iTunes so that you don't have to manually enter that info. It can be found at this site: CD Text to CD Info

It's difficult to guess why the iBook is refusing to mount the disc. Perhaps you can try a different brand of blank media or try a laser cleaning disc.

As for the track names, the Mac OS does not read the CD Text written to audio CDs. Instead it depends on track info to be either downloaded from CDDB or entered manually in iTunes and then written to a database file in one of the Mac's preferences folders.

There is an Applescript available which will transfer the CD Text info to iTunes so that you don't have to manually enter that info. It can be found at this site: CD Text to CD Info

Yes, it is difficult to guess. Harder to imagine. The disc is entirely playable. I find it hard to believe that a disc that is written and verified by Toast has any problems due to media. If that were the case, would Toast have verified the write?

Yes, it is difficult to guess. Harder to imagine. The disc is entirely playable. I find it hard to believe that a disc that is written and verified by Toast has any problems due to media. If that were the case, would Toast have verified the write?

It verified and it plays on other computers. That leaves the iBook as the problem. The iBook forums at discussions.apple.com are full of posts by people who experience problems with the iBook combo and superdrives. But I'm presuming yours is reading commercial CDs okay. Have you tried shutting down the iBook, waiting about 10-15 minutes and restarting? You also might try a laser cleaning disc. And even if it seems illogical that a disc burned by the drive can't be mounted by the OS, I'd still test with a different brand of discs.

It verified and it plays on other computers. That leaves the iBook as the problem. The iBook forums at discussions.apple.com are full of posts by people who experience problems with the iBook combo and superdrives. But I'm presuming yours is reading commercial CDs okay. Have you tried shutting down the iBook, waiting about 10-15 minutes and restarting? You also might try a laser cleaning disc. And even if it seems illogical that a disc burned by the drive can't be mounted by the OS, I'd still test with a different brand of discs.

Yesterday, I put together a playlist in iTunes and had it burn a CD, using the same media. Worked without a hitch. Am now playing it at work.

Are there settings in Toast that effect platform compatibility? I know that the CDs work on other Macs. I am grasping at straws.

You say you're using Toast 6.1. There is a 6.1.1 update. It fixed some QuickTime 7 issues and that may be the cause (a wild guess). If you have Toast Lite then 6.1 is the latest version.

There are differences between how iTunes burns audio CDs and how Toast does this. iTunes only burns Track-at-once and does not include CD Text. Toast burns either Disc-at-once (the default) or Track-at-once and can burn CD Text. As an experiment you could turn off CD Text (in the left panel when Audio CD is selected) and choose TAO in the Advanced tab of the recorder settings window, then burn the CD. There is greater likelihood that CD Text would cause a problem than would DAO.

I appreciate your trying different things. Your problem is unique. Also, try trashing your copy of Toast and the two Toast preference files in your User>Library>Preferences folder, and then reinstall. Maybe something is amiss with the application.

You say you're using Toast 6.1. There is a 6.1.1 update. It fixed some QuickTime 7 issues and that may be the cause (a wild guess). If you have Toast Lite then 6.1 is the latest version.

There are differences between how iTunes burns audio CDs and how Toast does this. iTunes only burns Track-at-once and does not include CD Text. Toast burns either Disc-at-once (the default) or Track-at-once and can burn CD Text. As an experiment you could turn off CD Text (in the left panel when Audio CD is selected) and choose TAO in the Advanced tab of the recorder settings window, then burn the CD. There is greater likelihood that CD Text would cause a problem than would DAO.

I appreciate your trying different things. Your problem is unique. Also, try trashing your copy of Toast and the two Toast preference files in your User>Library>Preferences folder, and then reinstall. Maybe something is amiss with the application.

i have the same problem.. i even bought a new pioneer 110d drive as i have an older g5... no track info on windows or mac..if i have toast open and ask for disk info the information is there... am i missing something??

i need to master my music with track info : i thought toast was to take care of this

i have the same problem.. i even bought a new pioneer 110d drive as i have an older g5... no track info on windows or mac..if i have toast open and ask for disk info the information is there... am i missing something??

i need to master my music with track info : i thought toast was to take care of this

I'm not sure yours is the same problem. As I understand your description, your problem is that you aren't getting the track information appearing when your Toast-burned audio CD is inserted in the Mac. I presume you're seeing the generic Audio CD title and individual tracks labeled Track 1, Track 2 and so on. Is this correct?

That's the way things are for all audio CDs when first inserted into a computer. What makes actual track names appear is information written to a database file on the computer's hard drive. With Macs, the information is written to this file either by manually entering it in iTunes or downloading it from CDDB. The CD Text that Toast writes to an audio CD can only be read by CD players that are equipped with the ability to read and display CD Text (such as some higher-end home and car players). The Mac OS does not read CD Text. There is a script, however, that will extract the CD Text info from your disc and enter it in iTunes for the purpose of updating the database file on the hard drive. You can download it here: Dougscripts.com

You mention that you're creating a CD master. This must mean you're planning to distribute copies. In that case you can use Toast or iTunes to upload the album/artist/track info to CDDB. What this means is that the first time anyone puts the CD in their computer - and they are connected to the Internet - the album/artist/track info will automatically be downloaded to their computer's CD info database file which means the information will appear as you intended.

What makes actual track names appear is information written to a database file on the computer's hard drive. With Macs, the information is written to this file either by manually entering it in iTunes or downloading it from CDDB.

What is the name/location of this file? I assume I can copy this database from one Mac to another. Is there a utility to Merge info from 2 such files, and deal with conflicts?

I've found that track names that I've corrected in iTunes seem to be written into the database most of the time, and if I launch Toast after I've entered changes, it usually picks them up. Is it possible to edit track name changes in Toast and have them entered into the database for use my iTunes?

Thanks

-Joe

What is the name/location of this file? I assume I can copy this database from one Mac to another. Is there a utility to Merge info from 2 such files, and deal with conflicts?

I've found that track names that I've corrected in iTunes seem to be written into the database most of the time, and if I launch Toast after I've entered changes, it usually picks them up. Is it possible to edit track name changes in Toast and have them entered into the database for use my iTunes?

Thanks

-Joe

The file is called CD Info.cidb and is located in your User>Library>Preferences folder. As for copying it to another Mac, I presume that can be done but haven't tried it myself. You might also check for some useful scripts at Dougscripts.com.

Changing text in Toast will not modify that database. The only time Toast writes to that file is when it downloads CDDB info instead of it being downloaded by iTunes.