Blitzvixen

Video Export apsect ratio, confused (i checked the obvious)

Question

Hey everyone. I have Canon FS10, simple camcorder, i've recorded with both the 4:3, and 16:9 settings on the camera.

When i bring the .MOD files into Toast Titanium, during the export, i'll choose .dv , or .dv (16:9) -- and the product is 'narrowed' (the image is squished vertically)

on the camera's viewport, it's fine, ya know, people & objects are played-back in proper sizing, but for some reason now matter how i export it with TT, the output is always 'narrow'.

its driving me nuts, i feel as if i've tried everything. thus i turn to you guys. haaaaalppp! thank you in advance, i really gotta fig this out very soon.

Mac OSX 10.4.11, Intel

6 answers to this question

I browsed through the manual and FAQ for your camcorder and it isn't clear what to do. Can you simply drag the .mod files into Toast's Video or Convert windows and have them recognized? They are MPEG 2 files so that might work. If you can copy them to your hard drive you could try changing the extension to .mpeg to see if that makes them readable by Toast if the .mod files are unrecognized.

I don't know where it is you chose .dv or .dv (16:9). Is that something Toast asks you to do when importing? I though Toast only imported directly from DV camcorders but that may have changed in more recent Toast versions. Converting to DV just to convert it back to MPEG 2 for a video DVD doesn't make much sense to me.

Hey thanks for getting backs to me. You say i can import directly from my video camera to Toast? is this just in the Toast Titanium program? i cant seem to locate an option to 'import' video? can you please point me in the right direction? thanks!

i dont have firewire, only a usb connection from my camera, i tried my iSquint program, and that converts the video just fine with proper aspect, except it's for putting video onto an ipod. for actual larger video toast is my only option, i'm just so confused why toast makes the converted video image so narrow! again, this is driving me nuts! any help is appreciated guys, thank you so much

i dont have firewire, only a usb connection from my camera, i tried my iSquint program, and that converts the video just fine with proper aspect, except it's for putting video onto an ipod. for actual larger video toast is my only option, i'm just so confused why toast makes the converted video image so narrow! again, this is driving me nuts! any help is appreciated guys, thank you so much

From what I read in your camera manual the videos are saved by the camera as .MOD. When you connect your camera to the Mac by USB you indicated that you can see those .MOD files. Can you simply drag them from the camera to a location on your hard drive? Toast can recognize a lot of different file types but I don't know about .MOD. Canon says it records in MPEG 2 format which Toast can recognize simply by dragging and dropping it into the Toast window (choose DVD video as the format in the Video window or Video files as the format in the Convert window).

It may be that Toast cannot see the MPEG 2 video inside the .MOD container. Something you might try is to control-click on the .MOD file and see if "Show Package Contents..." is one of the options that appears. If so you can open that container and possibly drag out the raw MPEG 2 file inside of it.

I share your confusion about why Toast is changing the aspect ratio when the video is added to Toast. Have you proceeded to make a DVD and seen that the movie appears wrong on the TV as well?

There are "flags" that accompany video files to instruct players and applications about the aspect ratio. As you point out, this isn't an issue with iSquint so I don't know what is going on.

Do you have the freeware application VLC Media Player? If so you can try playing the .MOD file with it to see how it appears on screen. If you have a fairly small .MOD file that you could share with me I can tell you where to upload it so that I can give it a go on my Mac.

i tried right clicking on the .mod file, there's nothing 'packaged' within it.

i cant open the .mod file with the VLC player, BUT i can re-name the video file with a .dv and open it with the VLC player, and it looks fine, but i cant import this into iMovie, and quicktime wont open it either, thus it's useless.

havent tried burning to a DVD, but when i import the Toast Export Video file into iMovie, it's still 'narrow'

i appreciate your help, really i do, i hope i can get to the bottom of this

i tried right clicking on the .mod file, there's nothing 'packaged' within it.

i cant open the .mod file with the VLC player, BUT i can re-name the video file with a .dv and open it with the VLC player, and it looks fine, but i cant import this into iMovie, and quicktime wont open it either, thus it's useless.

havent tried burning to a DVD, but when i import the Toast Export Video file into iMovie, it's still 'narrow'

i appreciate your help, really i do, i hope i can get to the bottom of this

That is curious about renaming it as .dv. It should be renamed as either .mpeg or .mpg. I've read elsewhere that renaming in this way makes the video readable on a Mac. QuickTime can't play an MPEG 2 video file unless you install Apple's $20 QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component. But if Toast recognizes the file after renaming it to .mpeg then Toast should be able to play it with the Toast Video Player. This is activated by clicking the Edit button after the title is added to the Video window and then clicking Edit again in the window that appears.

I also read that you can import to iMovie directly from the camera. This involves iMovie converting the video to an editable format.

If you decide to get the QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component (an online download from the Apple Store) you also can try using the freeware MPEG Streamclip to open the .MOD file and save it as an .mpg file that has the correct aspect ratio flag for Toast. This does not involve any re-encoding.