• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

outerbank

XPSP3 Update

I posted a question on this forum dated April 13, 2010 about downloading Windows SP3 update. Specifically, if anyone has experienced any problems after applying this update? As described previously, I have not applied this update because of the numerous postings on the web about individuals who have had computer problems after downloading the update. There were also several references to a specific separate KB update that caused other problems. The SP3 update contains this KB update. I have spoken to the tech person I use when experiencing a problem with my computer that is beyond my capability to correct. He strongly suggests not to download this update based on the number of people who have brought computers to his facility for repair after performing this download. In fact, if he performs the update he does not guarantee the result. A recent posting dated 4/22/2010 on this very forum site about a conflict with McAfee security software and SP3 is further evidence of problems of conflicts. Additionally, Microsoft's very own detailed instructions contain numerous precautions related to downloading this update. The precuations sure do not instill confidence.

The question of whether to update or not update presents a quandry, particularly for those XP users who have been diligent about keeping up with the unbelievable number of security updates that have occurred and continue to occur. According to a Microsoft publication, they will no longer provide security updates to XP users that have not downloaded this update. Furthermore, Microsoft themselves indicate that beyond the rollup of previous updates, there is not much else that is new or vital within this update. A cynical person could reach the conclusion that Microsoft purposefully made this update problematic in preparation for the release of Windows 7.

Anyone wanting to update most anything from Microsoft would be wise to clone their OS HD with any of the good programs available, before doing the update. Then if thngs go wrong, dump it and get the original system back. There are so many things now that XP doesn't seem to want to handle as far as programs, hardware etc. And the hand writing is on the wall from MS.

Frank...

That particular problem wasn't caused by SP3 but by a buggy McAfee update. SP3 is safe enough (except if you just happen to pick up the Alureon rootkit).

I'd avoid that McAfee update before avoiding the Service Pack

The problem appears to only affect Windows XP running Service Pack 3 using McAfee's VirusScan 8.7 and the 5958 DAT (virus definition update file), which was set live on Wednesday April 21st, 2010 this week.

Edited by gi7omy

I should have made it clear that I don't use McAfee security software when I made the initial posting. The only reason for mentioning the problem as it relates to McAfee security software and SP3 is that this is just one more example of the apparent numerous problems associated with this update. I did mention to the tech person that has worked on my computer about making an image of the operating system, just in case. He explained that this isn't a solution to a conflict. It is just a backup in case a problem occurs. It still may require deleting the SP3 update in order to get the computer up and running again, which he apparently has had to do a number of times in the past. In any event, it seems the only alternative is to bite the bullet and buy a new computer with Windows 7. UGH! I say UGH, because I now see that Microsoft is issuing security updates for Win 7. I'm beginning more and more to lean toward a Mac system. How does Creator 2009 work on a Mac? By the way, what is a Alureon rootkit?

I should have made it clear that I don't use McAfee security software when I made the initial posting. The only reason for mentioning the problem as it relates to McAfee security software and SP3 is that this is just one more example of the apparent numerous problems associated with this update. I did mention to the tech person that has worked on my computer about making an image of the operating system, just in case. He explained that this isn't a solution to a conflict. It is just a backup in case a problem occurs. It still may require deleting the SP3 update in order to get the computer up and running again, which he apparently has had to do a number of times in the past. In any event, it seems the only alternative is to bite the bullet and buy a new computer with Windows 7. UGH! I say UGH, because I now see that Microsoft is issuing security updates for Win 7. I'm beginning more and more to lean toward a Mac system. How does Creator 2009 work on a Mac? By the way, what is a Alureon rootkit?

You can run it with Bootcamp but you still need to have a Windows version on it. Toast 10 is as close as you can get to Creator 2010.

Toast 10 works with the Apple programs quite well.

Alureon Rootkit

The XP SP3 patch came out one helluva long time before the latest McAfee update came out! The rationale, for your conclusions, about the SP3 patch, is extremely flawed!

Edited by grandpabruce

OuterBank

Did you ever install WinXP SP3? I guess I was wondering if SP3 simply caused problems in the installation of Roxio 2009 such that it could be installed after Roxio was up and running or if it caused problems with the program in general.

I'm assuming that you finally got your Roxio working properly. I've posted a couple lenthy messages about my difficulty - which sounds like others have had the same problem. I've followed the instructions given by other, and I continue to receive the message about the missing or corrupt certificate file. I tried to send you a private message, but I don't think it sent.

I happened upon your posting about the SP3 issue, so I will research it. It's the only thing that I haven't yet tried during this process. I'm running WinXP SP3. It's kind of a big deal, because, according to an article on microsoft related to this, it appears that I will have to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 if I remove SP3. So, in order for me to try out this experiment, I will have to uninstall IE 8 first, then use a back door approach to removing WinXP's SP3 (since it doesn't appear in my add/remove programs window) described in a microsoft article.

Then, I should be able to reinstall Roxio and it should function properly. Gee, how long do I want to continue doing this before I simply seek out another product that I can install?

Thanks,

Keith