storm965

Burning Data Disc

Question

I tried to make a data disc, which I have done for years now, and it says it is going to take 44 minutes to copy a 350mb avi file to a blank cd or dvd. Then when it says it is complete the file won't play or says there is nothing on the disc. I am running Windows XP and a HP external dvd writer. Does anyone know whether or not this software has issues with Norton as that is the last software that has been added to my pc. Any suggestions would be appreciated because I already made sure my dvd writer has all the firmware updates and drivers it's supposed to have. Thank you.

8 answers to this question

I tried to make a data disc, which I have done for years now, and it says it is going to take 44 minutes to copy a 350mb avi file to a blank cd or dvd. Then when it says it is complete the file won't play or says there is nothing on the disc. I am running Windows XP and a HP external dvd writer. Does anyone know whether or not this software has issues with Norton as that is the last software that has been added to my pc. Any suggestions would be appreciated because I already made sure my dvd writer has all the firmware updates and drivers it's supposed to have. Thank you.

Where did you expect it to play?

As far as I know there is no direct incompatibilyty between C2009 and Norton. But Norton may still "interfere" while burning. You could try burning with Norton disabled.

What program from C2009 are you using to burn the file to the disc?

As far as I know there is no direct incompatibilyty between C2009 and Norton. But Norton may still "interfere" while burning. You could try burning with Norton disabled.

What program from C2009 are you using to burn the file to the disc?

I'm using Data Disc under Data. Is it possible it is the file itself? I tried it with a different file and it worked fine.

I'm using Data Disc under Data. Is it possible it is the file itself? I tried it with a different file and it worked fine.

Sounds like a good bet! :rolleyes:

Edited by sknis

If another file works fine then that suggests that the file is corrupt. Where did you get it? If from a download then I would not be surprised that the file is bad.

Can you play the file using a software player like WMP or VLC?

If another file works fine then that suggests that the file is corrupt. Where did you get it? If from a download then I would not be surprised that the file is bad.

Can you play the file using a software player like WMP or VLC?

But as a Data Disc, and a data file, the "contents" corrupt or otherwise, should still get written to disc. Nothing should be looking at the contents, it's not like it's getting encoded or anything. (And I'm not suggesting the file is good or not, just that it should still get written "as is".)