• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
WayneH

Anyway to recover the encoded H.264 file from the .m2ts ?

Question

I waited 2 days for a movie to encode to H.264 in Toast and stupidly forgot to rescue the output from my Roxio Converted Items folder before quitting Toast, which wiped it out. BUT, I did save the AVCHD disk image, so the encoded movie is there in the m2ts stream. Is there a way to get it back to a .264 encoded file? I think this process is called demuxing? I don't want to CONVERT it - I want the original (well, the encoded file - I have the master original), just as it would have appeared in my Roxio Converted Items folder. Any hope?

2 answers to this question

I don't know. You might try adding the .m2ts to the Toast Convert window and choose H.264 as the output and see if Toast actually does re-encode it. If it saves pretty quickly then you know it isn't being re-encoded.

I don't know. You might try adding the .m2ts to the Toast Convert window and choose H.264 as the output and see if Toast actually does re-encode it. If it saves pretty quickly then you know it isn't being re-encoded.

I've conceded defeat and accepted the fact that it'll be done sooner if I just do it over. I even tried using a file recovery utility to see if it might find the "deleted" file, but the utility would have taken as long to scan my 2 Tb drive as to simply recreate the file with Toast.

I've been trying to use Compressor to see if I get a faster encode. Does anyone have an opinion: Is this a dead end? Is Compressor faster or better in any way? (I see Compressor has some BD templates that might be nice, also, but shortening my encode time would be much a higher priority.)