onthebrink

Accessing files on unclosed disc

Question

Hail Roxio Gods! and the Almightly Computer God!! Please hear my pleas! So yes it was dumb but I ejected the discs I had just burned back-up files on without closing off the discs properly. How can I get Roxio Creator 9 Suite to recognize those files or how can I close off the disc properly after the fact. When I insert the disc now it says "there is no disc in the recorder". Am I screwed?? I have tried other software that claims to help this particular problem of retrieving data from disc not closed off properly but none has worked. Please help if you have solutions or suggestions! Thanks for any help!

11 answers to this question

Have you looked at isobuster available from isobuster.com. This is suposed to rescue data from troubled discs & although I have never had to recover data from an unclosed disc it may be worthwhile investigating

Have you looked at isobuster available from isobuster.com. This is suposed to rescue data from troubled discs & although I have never had to recover data from an unclosed disc it may be worthwhile investigating

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

isobuster did not recognize anything on the disc. It just saw it as a blank disc. I know the data is there. Im hoping, of course, that someone has done the same thing as me and knows that either there is something that can be done or nothing that can be done. The program works just fine when I want to burn a disc but when I accidentally used the manual eject button opposed to the software eject button (it asks you how you want to close or not close the disc) it ejects a coaster. The issue is these are back up files before I formatted the computer so irreplaceable stuff! :blink:

Edited by onthebrink

isobuster did not recognize anything on the disc. It just saw it as a blank disc. I know the data is there. Im hoping, of course, that someone has done the same thing as me and knows that either there is something that can be done or nothing that can be done. The program works just fine when I want to burn a disc but when I accidentally used the manual eject button opposed to the software eject button (it asks you how you want to close or not close the disc) it ejects a coaster. The issue is these are back up files before I formatted the computer so irreplaceable stuff! :blink:

How do you know that the data is there? If ISO Buster didn't see them, then you may be out of luck. I don't have EMC 9 on my computer but if you go to the Home screen and look at the the menu across the top, do you see anything like finalize disc? Can you see any indication of the disc being burned.

What application did you use to burn the disc? What brand of disc?

Success!!! The very helpful people at isobuster determined my laptop drive or hardware isn't working properly. I used their program on my desktop and it was able to see the files on the disc I ejected prematurely. I am so HAPPY!! However, I still need to find out what is wrong with my laptop hardware and would love to know if Roxio itself, or the program, has a solution to prematurely ejecting the discs. It used to be if I tried to force the disc out the program would automatically ask how I wanted to close the session, but this doesn't happen anymore.

How do you know that the data is there? If ISO Buster didn't see them, then you may be out of luck. I don't have EMC 9 on my computer but if you go to the Home screen and look at the the menu across the top, do you see anything like finalize disc? Can you see any indication of the disc being burned.

What application did you use to burn the disc? What brand of disc?

Thanks for your help. I used EMC9 to burn the disc. See my post re: isobuster 2.7 works on my desktop but not on my laptop. So the files are there, my problem was force ejecting the disc out before finalizing it. Shouldn't there be something in EMC9 to help dummies like me who don't follow the directions?! Maybe there is but like I say, there is something wrong with my burner/drivers/software (something) which prevents it from seeing the files with programs like isobuster. P.S. Sorry if I am getting the forum reply format messed up (NEWB!!)

Edited by onthebrink

Sounds like your burner is screwed up rather than the software. You may want to consider updating the firmware for the burner. Follow the instructions carefully or you will make a small door stop. Get the firmware either from your computer manufacturer or from the burner manufacturer.

Success!!! The very helpful people at isobuster determined my laptop drive or hardware isn't working properly. I used their program on my desktop and it was able to see the files on the disc I ejected prematurely. I am so HAPPY!! However, I still need to find out what is wrong with my laptop hardware and would love to know if Roxio itself, or the program, has a solution to prematurely ejecting the discs. It used to be if I tried to force the disc out the program would automatically ask how I wanted to close the session, but this doesn't happen anymore.

Glad to hear you've recovered your data.

I see two possibilities, either the hardware (drive) in your laptop has a problem, or there's a software issue. If it's a drive problem, the solution would be to replace it. If it's a software problem, then possibly reinstalling will solve the problem. Have you tried that? If that doesn't work, you may need to follow the instructions for a "Clean install" which can be found here.

Another thing to note is that you're apparently using Drag to Disc/Direct CD to drag-and-drop files to your disc. You've also found one of it's shortcomings, which is that if "something" (anything) goes wrong, you can lose access to your data. If you instead used Creator Classic to write your files, you'd likely not have these problems since you can't leave a session opened. (You can leave the disc open, to add more data/sessions, but each session is automatically closed.)

Hope something there helps!

Edited by d_deweywright

Glad to hear you've recovered your data.

I see two possibilities, either the hardware (drive) in your laptop has a problem, or there's a software issue. If it's a drive problem, the solution would be to replace it. If it's a software problem, then possibly reinstalling will solve the problem. Have you tried that? If that doesn't work, you may need to follow the instructions for a "Clean install" which can be found here.

Another thing to note is that you're apparently using Drag to Disc/Direct CD to drag-and-drop files to your disc. You've also found one of it's shortcomings, which is that if "something" (anything) goes wrong, you can lose access to your data. If you instead used Creator Classic to write your files, you'd likely not have these problems since you can't leave a session opened. (You can leave the disc open, to add more data/sessions, but each session is automatically closed.)

Hope something there helps!

Thanks for your help. I tried to update the firmware for my burner (model HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4080N, Revision 0C09, Driver 5.1.2535.0)

but HP did not see to have anything useful for my model (HP pavilion zv5330ca). If fact, after checking their site I thought I would try their self detect feature (which made me use IE AND download ActiveX - Yecchhh!) so anyway, it found 35 others and wanted me to pick one, none of which were my model!! Really useful.

I will try a clean install and see if that works. Also, thanks for noting the difference between using creator classic and drag to disc! Much appreciated! P.S. My computer is 6 years old and has worked wonderfully in the past but it may be time to retire it. AND I do like Roxio products. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help. I tried to update the firmware for my burner (model HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4080N, Revision 0C09, Driver 5.1.2535.0)

but HP did not see to have anything useful for my model (HP pavilion zv5330ca). If fact, after checking their site I thought I would try their self detect feature (which made me use IE AND download ActiveX - Yecchhh!) so anyway, it found 35 others and wanted me to pick one, none of which were my model!! Really useful.

I will try a clean install and see if that works. Also, thanks for noting the difference between using creator classic and drag to disc! Much appreciated! P.S. My computer is 6 years old and has worked wonderfully in the past but it may be time to retire it. AND I do like Roxio products. :rolleyes:

I should also point out a bit more about the differences between Creator Classic and Drag to Disc.

Drag to disc, as you've noted, leaves a session open, and you can freely drop files to the drive. It uses a method called 'packet writing' to do this. While the session is open you can continue to add files to the disc with no extra overhead until you close the session (eject the disc).

Creator Classic writes in sessions, so you would typically write several files at once, then the session is closed and if the disc isn't closed, a new session is opened. Each closed/opened session takes up roughly 10MB of room on the disc, so writing a single 10KB text file will take up over 10MB of space to write as a session. But again, the session is closed, and you're less likely to wind up with a disc that can't be read.

Hope that helps!

I should also point out a bit more about the differences between Creator Classic and Drag to Disc.

Drag to disc, as you've noted, leaves a session open, and you can freely drop files to the drive. It uses a method called 'packet writing' to do this. While the session is open you can continue to add files to the disc with no extra overhead until you close the session (eject the disc).

Creator Classic writes in sessions, so you would typically write several files at once, then the session is closed and if the disc isn't closed, a new session is opened. Each closed/opened session takes up roughly 10MB of room on the disc, so writing a single 10KB text file will take up over 10MB of space to write as a session. But again, the session is closed, and you're less likely to wind up with a disc that can't be read.

Hope that helps!

Yes it does help and thanks again!