Sign in to follow this  
freakezoid

cd-rw burns audio @ full speed only

Question

After working fine for years, a few weeks ago my CD-RW drive started burning audio CD's at full speed (around 40x+), no matter what speed I have selected in the drop down menu of Media Creator 7. Also the lowest speed listed in the menu now is 8x, instead of 4x like it used to be. I am getting errors on the burned CD's as a result of this. I don't know what triggered this, but it might have started after a Windows Update was installed.

I have already re-installed Media Creator 7, and also have deleted the drive from the device manager and let the computer find it and install it again, with no luck. Can someone please help with an idea of what might be causing this?

System Info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model Dimension 8400

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A03, 10/11/2004

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

Time Zone Eastern Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 560.17 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 2.40 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

10 answers to this question

I would suggest you remove the windows update (if you can) and do a system restore to a date before that update. This would at least rule out the update as the culprit.

Also, do you have any other programs that burn to disc? Have you tried these to rule out the fact that the drive has gone belly up? And just what brand drive is it that you're using?

good luck

The speeds you get are coming from dynamic drive detection(I think that's the correct term).Roxio is getting it's speeds from your drive.It could be that you are starting to have trouble with your drive.Another try might be to see if you can find the latest firmware for that drive and try updating it.

The Windows update in question never really got installed, it was Genuine advantage and the install failed. I'm getting the same problem when trying to burn from Sound Forge also, full speed only.

I understand that the program gets its maximum and minimum speed levels from the drive, but why would it write at 42x every time when I have 8x or 16x selected in the program? Would a drive thats failing do that?

I downloaded a driver from the Dell website but I havent run it yet since it has a slightly different model number than my drive and I'm afraid to chance it.

Is that the same as firmware? If not, where do I update firmware?

The drive is a Dell HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE 8483B. A call to Dell tech support resulted in the tech telling me I may have to re-install Windows. I haven't followed up there yet because I'm out of warranty by 3 months and they are going to charge me to try and fix the problem.

Thanks for responding

Edited by freakezoid

The last option I would choose is to reinstall Windows.I'm not sure what you downloaded.Go to Start,Roxio,Tools,Disc and Device Utility.Hit the + sign next to drive properties and the 3rd line down should show the current firmware version.The file you downloaded should be very similar to that number just off by an ending letter or number.If it's not then you probably haven't downloaded a firmware update.

It's a totally different firmware number so I guess I downloaded the wrong one.

What's interesting though is that the info in there reads

"Current disc write speeds: 48x MAX" (no other speeds listed) and

"Write speed optimization type: No write speed optimization" (instead of Smartburn)

It's no wonder a burned disc has errors on it.

Something is really wrong.

Have any other ideas? should I just purchase a new CD-RW?

Edited by freakezoid

It's a totally different firmware number so I guess I downloaded the wrong one.

Have any other ideas? should I just purchase a new CD-RW?

It should show different firmware numbers since you do not have the same drive as shown in the posted example.

I have had this problem with my Lite-on and have not been able to find the program/update that causes it. I solved it by downloading Nero's Info Tool and running it. After it completed I was able to see the correct drive speeds again. You can download Info Tool here.

I Googled this drive and it looks like 1.03 is the latest firmware.You can get it here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1877.

Just click where it says 1.03.If that doesn't work or jssilva's advice doesn't work I'm not sure what to try next.I saw alot of posts with people saying they were having the same problem with this drive.It is an LG drive being used by Dell.If all else fails maybe a new drive would be a good idea.They're pretty cheap now and it might be a good time to replace it with a DVD writer.

I meant the firmware revision on the Dell site was totally different numbers than MY drive's firmware was, not the posted example - I'm not THAT computer illiterate LOL

I tried the info tool but it didnt seem to do anything - it reports drive write speed as 48x only.

Let me try and clarify - when I start to burn a CD in emc7, the drop down write speed box shows the following speeds: 8x, 12x, 16x, 24.1x MAX, 32.1x MAX, 40.1x MAX, and 48.1x MAX. It used to also have 4x listed also but that is gone now (maybe even a 2x I cant remember).

NO MATTER WHAT SPEED I PICK FROM THIS LIST, THE CD WILL BURN EACH TRACK INCREASINGLY FASTER UNTIL IT REACHES AROUND 42X BY TRACK 10. It isnt mis-reporting the speed, it is ACTUALLY burning the CD that fast, resulting in errors. It is reporting the speed very accurately.

It should show different firmware numbers since you do not have the same drive as shown in the posted example.

I have had this problem with my Lite-on and have not been able to find the program/update that causes it. I solved it by downloading Nero's Info Tool and running it. After it completed I was able to see the correct drive speeds again. You can download Info Tool here.

Ouch! I downloaded that 1.03 firmware revision and ran it (thanks for finding that btw) , it ran all the way through and froze at the end. I had to ctrl-alt-del out and reboot, but now when the computer boots up I get this message:

DRIVE 4 NOT FOUND: PARALLEL ATA, PATA-0 (PRI IDE MASTER)

DRIVE 5 NOT FOUND: PARALLEL ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE SLAVE)

Drive 4 is the DVD rom (letter D), drive 5 is the CD writer (letter E). Weird thing is, if I physically unplug the DVD rom ribbon connector, then the CD writer works fine ( I get DRIVE 4 NOT FOUND message). With the DVD rom plugged in, NEITHER of the drives work. The firmware update seems to have affected the DVD rom and disabled it, but I KNOW for a fact that I selected drive E: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE 8483B from the menu when the update program was running, NOT the DVD drive.

So why is the DVD not working now? Strange

Update - I turned off DRIVE 4 in the bios, so now the computer boots up without an error message. So the current state is I have no DVD rom, and I have a CD writer that only writes at 48 speed. Also, if I now try writing to the CD, emc7 doesnt recognize a blank disc and keeps asking me to insert a blank disc.

At least I can play a CD LOL

I Googled this drive and it looks like 1.03 is the latest firmware.You can get it here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1877.

Just click where it says 1.03.If that doesn't work or jssilva's advice doesn't work I'm not sure what to try next.I saw alot of posts with people saying they were having the same problem with this drive.It is an LG drive being used by Dell.If all else fails maybe a new drive would be a good idea.They're pretty cheap now and it might be a good time to replace it with a DVD writer.

Edited by freakezoid

It's totally possible that because the firmware update froze that the drive is no longer usuable.If you noticed there was probably a warning not to turn off power while the update was running.That's because if the process gets interrupted there is the definate possibility of ending up with a useless drive.This looks like what has happened.By turning off in the Bios the system doesn't try to see it therefore no error message.

Why the process would have affected your DVD writer if you selected E: I can't say,I have no idea.

The reason you write faster the more tracks you burn is that the CD burns from the inside out and the farther out you write the faster you write at.It has to do with CLV or CAV,I can't remember right off the top of my head(CLV I think).Why you can only burn at a choice of 48x I'm not sure of either.For Roxio this speed is reported to the program by the drive,which is controlled by the firmware.At this point I'm kinda stumped.I'm afraid to tell you to run the firmware update again with only the CD connected,not wanting for it to freeze again.