• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

AVI or MPEG

steinmeier

Question

I hope someone will be able to help me. I have sent an email to the support team but they don't seem to understand my question.

I took some old videos to a professional store to have them put on a DVD. Now I need to edit=separate the various short movies. Some of them are pretty bad quality. I noticed that the quality gets even worse when I go through the video editing process and choose MPEG as the format. It is better when I choose AVI. So, my question is: I assume that the store did it all in MPEG. When I do my editing in MPEG does the software compress the movie even more? Would it be better to use DV AVI?

Question 2: I worked with the Roxio VHS to DVD 2009 last year and didn't know anything about MPEG or AVI. I used AVI and the finished DVD seemed to work fine in my DVD player. I realize now that MPEG is a more universal format to use. I don't want to keep spending time on this and realize after hours and hours that I should have done it differently. I hope my question is clear: can I keep using AVI or do I need to use MPEG?

Thanks!!!

18 answers to this question

I hope someone will be able to help me. I have sent an email to the support team but they don't seem to understand my question.

I took some old videos to a professional store to have them put on a DVD. Now I need to edit=separate the various short movies. Some of them are pretty bad quality. I noticed that the quality gets even worse when I go through the video editing process and choose MPEG as the format. It is better when I choose AVI. So, my question is: I assume that the store did it all in MPEG. When I do my editing in MPEG does the software compress the movie even more? Would it be better to use DV AVI?

Question 2: I worked with the Roxio VHS to DVD 2009 last year and didn't know anything about MPEG or AVI. I used AVI and the finished DVD seemed to work fine in my DVD player. I realize now that MPEG is a more universal format to use. I don't want to keep spending time on this and realize after hours and hours that I should have done it differently. I hope my question is clear: can I keep using AVI or do I need to use MPEG?

Thanks!!!

After you do all your editing and burn to a disc, then that disc has VOB files in a folder. Those VOB files are mpg2.

If you explore the DVD that the store made for you, what do you see. How did you get the files from the DVD to your computer? You should just be able to copy them to a folder on your computer. If you do that, there is no need to capture with the required conversion and then reconversion then...

Please let us know. It is bet not to assume; call and ask the people who made the disc for you.

After you do all your editing and burn to a disc, then that disc has VOB files in a folder. Those VOB files are mpg2.

If you explore the DVD that the store made for you, what do you see. How did you get the files from the DVD to your computer? You should just be able to copy them to a folder on your computer. If you do that, there is no need to capture with the required conversion and then reconversion then...

Please let us know. It is bet not to assume; call and ask the people who made the disc for you.

Thanks for responding so promptly. I called the store last week - their technician is on a photo shoot somewhere on the Atlantic, won't be back for 2 weeks.

I opened Roxio video edit/Roxio videowave, then "create a new production", then "add photo/video". That opens up the Video-TS folder. I see several folders: Video-TS (VOB), Video_TS (DVD), VTS_01_0 (IFO), VTS_01_1(VOB), VTS_01_2 (VOB), VTS_01_3 (VOB), VTS_01_4 (VOB) There are a total of 6 movie clips on this DVD. All one after another. I don't understand why there are several VOB "boxes (for lack of a better word) on the DVD, all the same length. It looks like they all show the same movie. How do I separate separate the various clips on the movie? Don't I use Videowave to do it? I have used it before to change the starting point or the end, and that's really what I would like to do here. Split up the videos.

Thanks for responding so promptly. I called the store last week - their technician is on a photo shoot somewhere on the Atlantic, won't be back for 2 weeks.

I opened Roxio video edit/Roxio videowave, then "create a new production", then "add photo/video". That opens up the Video-TS folder. I see several folders: Video-TS (VOB), Video_TS (DVD), VTS_01_0 (IFO), VTS_01_1(VOB), VTS_01_2 (VOB), VTS_01_3 (VOB), VTS_01_4 (VOB) There are a total of 6 movie clips on this DVD. All one after another. I don't understand why there are several VOB "boxes (for lack of a better word) on the DVD, all the same length. It looks like they all show the same movie. How do I separate separate the various clips on the movie? Don't I use Videowave to do it? I have used it before to change the starting point or the end, and that's really what I would like to do here. Split up the videos.

Good, it looks like he made a standard video DVD. Just copy the contents of the DVD to your computer and add all the VOB files to Video Wave in order. You can then edit from there. How familiar are you with Video Wave and editing?

If you forgot some of the porcess, watch this.

Copy the files, from that DVD, to a new folder on your hard drive. Then, take the DVD out of your drive.

Open VideoWave, click on File/New Production, then choose which type of video files are in the video files. They are probably 4:3 files, if they are real old movies.

Then, click on Add Photo/Video, browse to the Video_TS folder, in the folder where you stored the files, from your DVD, and click on the first VOB, then click on Open. You should get a pop-up box that shows 1 or more movies. Select all of them, then click OK. They should all come in. You then click on the Timeline tab, in the Production Editor, and you can split out the parts of the video that you don't want.

Copy the files, from that DVD, to a new folder on your hard drive. Then, take the DVD out of your drive.

Open VideoWave, click on File/New Production, then choose which type of video files are in the video files. They are probably 4:3 files, if they are real old movies.

Then, click on Add Photo/Video, browse to the Video_TS folder, in the folder where you stored the files, from your DVD, and click on the first VOB, then click on Open. You should get a pop-up box that shows 1 or more movies. Select all of them, then click OK. They should all come in. You then click on the Timeline tab, in the Production Editor, and you can split out the parts of the video that you don't want.

Thanks again! It all makes sense til I read the part about the timeline tab. Is there a way to split the video using that feature without going through right clicking on the production, then "trim" and then splitting it up, one movie at a time? Going through output/export as/make movie (and that's where I had to decide before if I wanted DV AVI or MPEG). When I first add the entire video, it appears in storyline. what do I do next to split it? I guess that's my question.

Good, it looks like he made a standard video DVD. Just copy the contents of the DVD to your computer and add all the VOB files to Video Wave in order. You can then edit from there. How familiar are you with Video Wave and editing?

If you forgot some of the porcess, watch this.

I tried to follow the instructions in the video but the 'split' option is greyed out

I tried to follow the instructions in the video but the 'split' option is greyed out

One more thing. All I really need to do is split the one video into several videos. When I watched the little clip you inserted it showed me how to delete part of a movie and put the "ends" together. How do I split up the one video without going through the right-click, then "trim", then (after trimming and deciding on the beginning and the end) output and then having to choose between AVI or MPEG or another format. That's what I have done before. I am sorry I am repeating myself, but the process still is not clear yet.

Can I do what I have done before? Or is there an easier way? I think you are trying to help me find an easier way?

One more thing. All I really need to do is split the one video into several videos. When I watched the little clip you inserted it showed me how to delete part of a movie and put the "ends" together. How do I split up the one video without going through the right-click, then "trim", then (after trimming and deciding on the beginning and the end) output and then having to choose between AVI or MPEG or another format. That's what I have done before. I am sorry I am repeating myself, but the process still is not clear yet.

Can I do what I have done before? Or is there an easier way? I think you are trying to help me find an easier way?

Ok, even though I think I may be stretching everyone's patience, here I go again. I was able to split my video off, at least I have one separate clip now. What do I do with it? How and where do I save it? Same question as beofre: do I have to go through output etc. and choose AVI, MPEG etc.?? If I save it as Video Wave Production .dmsm, can I then create a DVD with that format? In the Create DVD part of the software? And will it still be MPEG since I didn't change the format that was on the original DVD? That would be easy if that were possible!!!!! Please, help!

Ok, even though I think I may be stretching everyone's patience, here I go again. I was able to split my video off, at least I have one separate clip now. What do I do with it? How and where do I save it? Same question as beofre: do I have to go through output etc. and choose AVI, MPEG etc.?? If I save it as Video Wave Production .dmsm, can I then create a DVD with that format? In the Create DVD part of the software? And will it still be MPEG since I didn't change the format that was on the original DVD? That would be easy if that were possible!!!!! Please, help!

You can save the project as a .dmsm file. You choice where and what you name it. When You open Create DVD, just add that project "Add new Movie". All you are doing is adding a road map for that video to "Create DVD". When you go to burn, it will convert the video to the right format for playing on a DVD player.

Hint: In Create DVD select HQ and burn to an ISO file (you'll see that options). After the ISO completes, copy it to the DVD using the Copy ISO. That application is on the Home page.

Since you are getting the files off a disc, then I don't have to tell you that you can get only one hour of best quality video on a standard DVD (just in case you were planing to add other files.)

As for the split function. Make sure you select the part of the video where you are working. There should be a dotted line around it in TimeLine.

Edited by sknis

You can save the project as a .dmsm file. You choice where and what you name it. When You open Create DVD, just add that project "Add new Movie". All you are doing is adding a road map for that video to "Create DVD". When you go to burn, it will convert the video to the right format for playing on a DVD player.

Hint: In Create DVD select HQ and burn to an ISO file (you'll see that options). After the ISO completes, copy it to the DVD using the Copy ISO. That application is on the Home page.

Since you are getting the files off a disc, then I don't have to tell you that you can get only one hour of best quality video on a standard DVD (just in case you were planing to add other files.)

As for the split function. Make sure you select the part of the video where you are working. There should be a dotted line around it in TimeLine.

You have no idea how helpful all your input is. Thank you!!! It's one step at a time, but I am making progress!!

So, what I am hearing is: the .dmsm format is fine, and so I don't have to go through the output etc process which is a lot more time consuming. Correct?

I did not see HQ in Create DVD, so I don't know what you mean by that. I realize that I need to watch how much I put on a standard DVD. Thank you for the reminder!

I have some video clips/movies saved on my hard drive that I want to add to a DVD on which I will also have the clips I am creating now. These old videos are in AVI format - they were on old VHS movies which I captured/imported myself (not through the store). Can I add them to the same DVD that I will put the .dmsm videos on that I will be working on now (the ones the store put on DVDs)? Basically, can I mix and match?

And while you are reading this - can I burn DVDs with only AVI movies and will they work in standard DVD players?

Thank you again!

Go to file and select project properties.:

Yes, you can mix and match file types and projects on the same DVD. When you go to burn, they will all be converted to the right format. Another reminder: DRM protected files cannot be used but that shouoldn;t be a problem for you.

Yes, you can mix and match file types and projects on the same DVD. When you go to burn, they will all be converted to the right format. Another reminder: DRM protected files cannot be used but that shouoldn;t be a problem for you.

Thank you again! Now I had no trouble finding it!

I did not know that everything would automatically be converted to the correct format. So, basically what I am thinking is: since AVI is uncompressed, it takes up more space and consequently I will be able to fit less volume on one DVD? That's correct, is it not? And by clicking on HQ I am making sure I get the better quality.

I am going to copy in what you wrote a little while ago: Hint: In Create DVD select HQ and burn to an ISO file (you'll see that options). After the ISO completes, copy it to the DVD using the Copy ISO. That application is on the Home page.

I went to "burn" and noticed the ISO ending coming up under "save disk image file". Is that what you mean? Basically not burn to a DVD right away but only create the disk image? Then copy the image? What's the reasoning behind this? I didn't do this before but burnt it to "disk" = DVD right away and then made copies using a 2nd burner.

Thank you again! Now I had no trouble finding it!

I did not know that everything would automatically be converted to the correct format. So, basically what I am thinking is: since AVI is uncompressed, it takes up more space and consequently I will be able to fit less volume on one DVD? That's correct, is it not? And by clicking on HQ I am making sure I get the better quality.

I am going to copy in what you wrote a little while ago: Hint: In Create DVD select HQ and burn to an ISO file (you'll see that options). After the ISO completes, copy it to the DVD using the Copy ISO. That application is on the Home page.

I went to "burn" and noticed the ISO ending coming up under "save disk image file". Is that what you mean? Basically not burn to a DVD right away but only create the disk image? Then copy the image? What's the reasoning behind this? I didn't do this before but burnt it to "disk" = DVD right away and then made copies using a 2nd burner.

Don't worry about the size of the file. It isn't the controlling factor. The length in time, of your production is what controls. You can get 1 hour of video, on a standard DVD, at high quality.

And yes, Steve was talking about burning/saving to an .iso file instead of burning directly to disc. One reason is, that .iso file can then be burned to as many DVDs as you want, without having to go through the MyDVD encoding process again.

Oh, and you have learned more in one day, than most of us Gurus ever did. You're doing great!

Edited by grandpabruce

Don't worry about the size of the file. It isn't the controlling factor. The length in time, of your production is what controls. You can get 1 hour of video, on a standard DVD, at high quality.

And yes, Steve was talking about burning/saving to an .iso file instead of burning directly to disc. One reason is, that .iso file can then be burned to as many DVDs as you want, without having to go through the MyDVD encoding process again.

Oh, and you have learned more in one day, than most of us Gurus ever did. You're doing great!

Grandpa Bruce, Steve and whoever else may have helped me today - thank you!!!! You have no idea how helpful you have been. I greatly appreciate the time you spent to assist me!!! If I get stuck I'll ask again, if that is ok.

Have a good night!

Grandpa Bruce, Steve and whoever else may have helped me today - thank you!!!! You have no idea how helpful you have been. I greatly appreciate the time you spent to assist me!!! If I get stuck I'll ask again, if that is ok.

Have a good night!

If you have any questions, come back and ask. There will always be someone who will be able to help, or at least try.

If you have any questions, come back and ask. There will always be someone who will be able to help, or at least try.

Well, I am back. I went through the steps you have recommended and even though I have plenty of RAM and harddrive space I have had a difficult time moving forward. I am making progress, but it's very slow and every once in a while the program freezes up. I'd like to go through the process I have used before - open video editing, add the video (basically off of the DVD that the store made and that I saved on my computer now). Once I have it in storyline right-click on trim, then edit out what I want, go to output, then "make movie". And then I am back at the same question I had before. Should I save it as AVI or as MPEG? If the software eventually puts everything in "Create DVD" function in the correct format, then I may just as well use AVI (even though it is already MPEG) and not worry about it. And at least not compress it any further. What do you think?

Well, I am back. I went through the steps you have recommended and even though I have plenty of RAM and harddrive space I have had a difficult time moving forward. I am making progress, but it's very slow and every once in a while the program freezes up. I'd like to go through the process I have used before - open video editing, add the video (basically off of the DVD that the store made and that I saved on my computer now). Once I have it in storyline right-click on trim, then edit out what I want, go to output, then "make movie". And then I am back at the same question I had before. Should I save it as AVI or as MPEG? If the software eventually puts everything in "Create DVD" function in the correct format, then I may just as well use AVI (even though it is already MPEG) and not worry about it. And at least not compress it any further. What do you think?

One does not save to avi or mpeg. You Output or export to those formats. In Videowave the terms Save or Save As refer to saving your project to a file which will have the extension dmsm. This project (or dmsm) file is not a video file but simply a text file containing the list of source files in your project, any edit you want done to your video, etc. Once you have saved your project file, you want to exit Videowave and then launch myDVD to create the DVD. in myDVD you use Add Movie/Photo to bring in the dmsm project file. myDVD will then do the rest to create the DVD.

A video DVD does not contain any avi video. If your source video is avi then it gets rendered to mpeg video.

While in Videowave you can also ouput your project to a video file which can be in the avi or mpeg format. Since in your case the video is already in the mpeg format there would be no point in converting or exporting to the mpeg format. If you were to export to an avi format then if you later wanted to use that video file to create a DVD, myDVD would have to render the avi video back to the mpeg format (which you initially started with). With each render process you do uncompressing and compressing and with each process you lose quality.

One does not save to avi or mpeg. You Output or export to those formats. In Videowave the terms Save or Save As refer to saving your project to a file which will have the extension dmsm. This project (or dmsm) file is not a video file but simply a text file containing the list of source files in your project, any edit you want done to your video, etc. Once you have saved your project file, you want to exit Videowave and then launch myDVD to create the DVD. in myDVD you use Add Movie/Photo to bring in the dmsm project file. myDVD will then do the rest to create the DVD.

A video DVD does not contain any avi video. If your source video is avi then it gets rendered to mpeg video.

While in Videowave you can also ouput your project to a video file which can be in the avi or mpeg format. Since in your case the video is already in the mpeg format there would be no point in converting or exporting to the mpeg format. If you were to export to an avi format then if you later wanted to use that video file to create a DVD, myDVD would have to render the avi video back to the mpeg format (which you initially started with). With each render process you do uncompressing and compressing and with each process you lose quality.

Thank you again!

I basically need to figure out how to stop the program from freezing up. What you explained makes a lot of sense! Thanks again and have a good night.

If the program is freezing then it is your computer or more specifically your video card/chip. Please post your computer specs. Update your video card drivers. Switch to software encoding (rendering).

HAVE NOTHING ELSE RUNNING WHEN YOU ARE DOING VIDEO EDITING. THAT INCLUDES YOUR ANTI-VIRUS AND ANTI-MALWARE. DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET SO YOU ARE NOT TEMPTED TO READ YOUR E-MAIL.

Perhaps there has been some information overload. We are now starting to repeat information that was provided earlier. Take time to read through this thread again and jot yourself some notes as you go.