real dean

Enhanced Audio CDs

Question

In the old days we used to create Enhanced audio CDs by burning the Red Book volume first, leaving the session open, then adding the interactive volume(s) in the second session. In this way you could add the second session as a Custom Hybrid and arrange your Mac volume exactly how you wanted it. In later versions of Toast there is the 'no brainer' Enhanced Audio CD which 'does it all for you' but I don't like it at all.

1) You cannot control icon and window appearance on the Mac volume by using the 'Mac and PC' option in the UI. You can change background colours and some other aspects, but you cannot properly arrange the icons like you can on a Custom Hybrid to position icons (and hide others) out of sight of the initial window opening. Or am I missing something ?

2) Toast no longer seems to allow me to create these disc the old way. I CAN burn a Red Book volume and leave the session open, but when I try to add the Custom Hybrid mac and PC volumes, Toast refuses to burn onto the open session discs. This is in spite of Toast's 'Disc Info' menu item correctly reporting that the disc has a Red Book session and has XX amount of writeable space. So Toast KNOWS it can be written to, the UI says 'Disc Not Empty' when you insert it to burn the second session, but when you click burn (for the Custom Hybrid second session) it spits out the disc and says "Please insert a recordable disc" well duh.

3) It is my understanding the ISO volume in that second session should be burned as CD-ROM XA to meet spec, is Toast doing that automatically ?

4) More worryingly. When I Get info on the finished burn (via Toast's inbuilt Enhanced Audio option) Toast Reports that both sessions have been burned as TAO. Isn't this contrary to spec ? I'm concerned that when they hit Eclipse for glass mastering they will fail because they are not DAO.

5) MOST worryingly. When inserted into my WIN XP machine, Windows thinks the finished discs are blank ! I suspect this is something to do with the TAO issue ... ?

Can someone from Roxio's technical division please comment urgently on these issues on a point by point basis so I can asses what is going on, as I have to release this master for replication asap

Many thanks

Dean

2 answers to this question

I'm not qualified to answer your questions but I'm concerned you won't get a reply from any Roxio engineers. What you have attempted is everything I would have done. My sense is TAO is correct, although I could be wrong. I'm uncertain, however, if you should provide an enhanced audio CD as your mastering source. It seems to me that you should provide the audio and data separately and the mastering is where they become an enhanced CD. Again, I may be wrong and I apologize if I'm a dolt.

Here is an article that may shed a little light on this or may be completely beside the point.

I don't know how you're going to find the Roxio engineer who knows the answers to your questions if, in fact, any of the current ones know the answers. Elsewhere there are audio mastering forums for professionals where you may have a better chance of getting useful answers.

I know I'm being of very little help. But I may be all the help you'll get in this forum because so few audio professionals participate.

My sense is TAO is correct, although I could be wrong.

The article to which you referred confirms my thoughts that the audio track must be burned DAO ... and that the second session must be CD-ROM XA (mode 2)

I'm uncertain, however, if you should provide an enhanced audio CD as your mastering source. It seems to me that you should provide the audio and data separately and the mastering is where they become an enhanced CD.

I *AM* the mastering <g>. I've done probably 50 of these over the last 15 years. The replicators never want to know about this, they just want a master that Eclipse will bless and off they go. Fair enough too. Besides it's not just a burning job, we take the HD video, compress it, design the menus add weblinks, whatever other content they want then create the Mac and PC executables ... in the old days it was Director (as the article refers to) these days more likely Flash. Burning the replication master is only the final step in the process, but a kind of important one !

I don't know how you're going to find the Roxio engineer who knows the answers to your questions if, in fact, any of the current ones know the answers.

I've only been to this forum (twice?) in 15 years, but if one can't find a Roxio engineer here ... then where ! <g> If they don't routinely patrol the forums, surely a moderator can ask a tech to weight in ?

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback.

From another source I have since learned that one can use the 'Mac & PC' option. Create a Temporary partition as usual for Custom Hybrid, but then drag that into the 'Mac & PC' window of the Toast UI ... cool, I never knew that (because I preferred the old school method)

However this also only 'almost' works. Once the dic is burned, the CD volume does not correctly mirror the appearance of the source Temp Volume.

See the below examples:

The first is with minimal change to the default window that the Temp Volume created, but notice that the icon size has changed from 24pt to 18 pt

http://www.realworld.com.au/downloads/original01.png

http://www.realworld.com.au/downloads/Toasted01.png

In this second example I have resized the window to be about 50% larger, changed the background colour and greatly increased the size of the icon. The Toasted volume has moved the icon way out of position .. almost out of view. Should I be doing something else here ?

http://www.realworld.com.au/downloads/original02.png

http://www.realworld.com.au/downloads/Toasted02.png