• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

VHS Capture Problem - captured video slows down

Sal D

Question

Hello. I have a new HP desktop computer with plenty of hard drive space, and I have a NVIDEA GeForce G210 video card with drivers up to date. I'm using Roxio 2010 Creator to import some old videotapes that I have home recorded (no Macrovision) onto my computer.

I am using the Roxio USB unit and I've had no problems with any connections or importing the video. My problem is the following: I import my VHS videos, but when I play back the imported files there are lags in the video where the video slows down for three or four seconds then speeds up, or I am missing frames (much less frequent problem). Some of the videotapes I am importing are old with some tracking glitches here and there but the audio and (for the most part) video from the original tape play with no lags in the playback window as the capture is taking place. Is there a way to fix these "slow patches" during import? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

3 answers to this question

Hello. I have a new HP desktop computer with plenty of hard drive space, and I have a NVIDEA GeForce G210 video card with drivers up to date. I'm using Roxio 2010 Creator to import some old videotapes that I have home recorded (no Macrovision) onto my computer.

I am using the Roxio USB unit and I've had no problems with any connections or importing the video. My problem is the following: I import my VHS videos, but when I play back the imported files there are lags in the video where the video slows down for three or four seconds then speeds up, or I am missing frames (much less frequent problem). Some of the videotapes I am importing are old with some tracking glitches here and there but the audio and (for the most part) video from the original tape play with no lags in the playback window as the capture is taking place. Is there a way to fix these "slow patches" during import? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Although you gave us the information about your video card and "plenty of hard drive space", so of the issue may be your computer. Please post your computer specs. Also, make sure your hard drive is defragged frequently and that you do not have anything else running during the capture; this includes your anti-virus.

Capture as an AVI file rather than mpg2 because your computer will not have to encode on the fly.

Perhaps you can find a web site that will tell you how to improve the playing of the old VHS tapes (cleaning, lubricating, degaussing, etc.) that will improve the playback of the video. Here is one that covers this type of topic.

Edited by sknis

Although you gave us the information about your video card and "plenty of hard drive space", so of the issue may be your computer. Please post your computer specs. Also, make sure your hard drive is defragged frequently and that you do not have anything else running during the capture; this includes your anti-virus.

Capture as an AVI file rather than mpg2 because your computer will not have to encode on the fly.

Perhaps you can find a web site that will tell you how to improve the playing of the old VHS tapes (cleaning, lubricating, degaussing, etc.) that will improve the playback of the video. Here is one that covers this type of topic.

Thanks for answering, I appreciate your time and help. Here are my specs:

Computer: HP e9300z, Windows 7 Home

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor 2.80 GHz

6 GB RAM, 64 bit operating system

Hard drive space: 514 GB free space (560 GB total)

I see your recommendation on the videotape playback. Again, the video playback is fine (aside from dropouts, tracking problems etc. associated with older tapes), so my problem is not coming from the source video but in slowdowns in the encoding. In other words, the captured video is slowing down in areas which aren't slowing on the original videotape.

I have not defragged my hard drive yet but my computer is a month old. I shut down my anti-virus.

As far as encoding I am using the "Roxio Capture Video" option from the Main Menu, and my capture setting is DV (which I thought is the only setting for composite video) so I think it's being captured as AVI already.

Thanks again, please let me know what you think.

Thanks for answering, I appreciate your time and help. Here are my specs:

Computer: HP e9300z, Windows 7 Home

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor 2.80 GHz

6 GB RAM, 64 bit operating system

Hard drive space: 514 GB free space (560 GB total)

I see your recommendation on the videotape playback. Again, the video playback is fine (aside from dropouts, tracking problems etc. associated with older tapes), so my problem is not coming from the source video but in slowdowns in the encoding. In other words, the captured video is slowing down in areas which aren't slowing on the original videotape.

I have not defragged my hard drive yet but my computer is a month old. I shut down my anti-virus.

As far as encoding I am using the "Roxio Capture Video" option from the Main Menu, and my capture setting is DV (which I thought is the only setting for composite video) so I think it's being captured as AVI already.

Thanks again, please let me know what you think.

Double check the points that Steve outlined, including a fresh defrag.

Recheck the settings under Capture Settings:

post-39730-1273327295.jpg

Another way to test is to hook the Roxio video Capture USB device to another source, such DVD player.

If the problem goes away, it is your tape or VHS Player.