• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Layer switch question on Dual Layer DVDs

rruttger

Question

This is the first time I have attempted to burn a project to a dual layer DVD+R DL. Before doing this I read everything I could find on this forum and in Wikepedia about dual layer DVDs. The DVD burned with no problem from my iso file and plays fine. Here is my question. The Wikepedia article said that there would be a one or two second delay when the track on the DVD switches layers. My project just about filled the 8.5GB disc, so I figured this switch would occur near the middle of the project, and I looked for it. I found what I think is the pause where the DVD switches tracks, and I got lucky this time because the pause occurred right at a break in my movie where there was almost no action. On future projects I would like a way to schedule the pause where the DVD switches from one layer to the next. I would not like to have it pause right in the middle of an important scene. I figure the people who make movies must have this figured out, because I haven’t seen the pause for many years in commercially produced movie DVDs. So again, my question is: Is there a way to schedule the switch of layers in Roxio Pro 2010? This would be kind of like placing a page break in Microsoft Word between paragraphs rather than have the page break at some inconvenient time. Thanks, any ideas would be appreciated.

4 answers to this question

This is the first time I have attempted to burn a project to a dual layer DVD+R DL. Before doing this I read everything I could find on this forum and in Wikepedia about dual layer DVDs. The DVD burned with no problem from my iso file and plays fine. Here is my question. The Wikepedia article said that there would be a one or two second delay when the track on the DVD switches layers. My project just about filled the 8.5GB disc, so I figured this switch would occur near the middle of the project, and I looked for it. I found what I think is the pause where the DVD switches tracks, and I got lucky this time because the pause occurred right at a break in my movie where there was almost no action. On future projects I would like a way to schedule the pause where the DVD switches from one layer to the next. I would not like to have it pause right in the middle of an important scene. I figure the people who make movies must have this figured out, because I haven’t seen the pause for many years in commercially produced movie DVDs. So again, my question is: Is there a way to schedule the switch of layers in Roxio Pro 2010? This would be kind of like placing a page break in Microsoft Word between paragraphs rather than have the page break at some inconvenient time. Thanks, any ideas would be appreciated.

No, if you would like some control download the free ImgBurn program # 9 in my signature..

post-97-1273535346.jpg

cd

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked out imgburn on Wikipedia, then found their website. It looks like imgburn can do a lot of things, but I am getting used to the Roxio program and workflow. Where would imgburn fit into the Roxio workflow? Can I just use it set a layer breakpoint? If so, it seems like I need to use Roxio "My DVD" to put the DVD together, then I need to render the iso file. Does imgburn come into play after the iso file is rendered? Do I create the iso file, then use imgburn to burn the DVD rather than Roxio's "burn DVD"? Thanks for the help. It looks like this is what I am looking for. too bad Roxio doesn't include something like this in their "pro" program rather than 20,000 effects and transitions.

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked out imgburn on Wikipedia, then found their website. It looks like imgburn can do a lot of things, but I am getting used to the Roxio program and workflow. Where would imgburn fit into the Roxio workflow? Can I just use it set a layer breakpoint? If so, it seems like I need to use Roxio "My DVD" to put the DVD together, then I need to render the iso file. Does imgburn come into play after the iso file is rendered? Do I create the iso file, then use imgburn to burn the DVD rather than Roxio's "burn DVD"? Thanks for the help. It looks like this is what I am looking for. too bad Roxio doesn't include something like this in their "pro" program rather than 20,000 effects and transitions.

Sorry, I'll get you started but don't have time to spoon feed you all the knowledge you'll need..

ImgBurn has a forum for you to search through tho...

cd