• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Perplexing Multiplexing

WayneH

Question

Multiplexing Mystery: I've got a short (10:44) movie that I've encoded to a .264 file in Toast, and successfully sent to a blu-ray-on-DVD disk image. (I haven't verified that a burned disk of that file would play.)

If I drag that intermediate .264 file back into the Toast window, it reports that it is now a 19:44 movie. If I do not add the complementary audio file, the .264 file will multiplex just fine and burn to image without re-encoding. But if I add my own .ac3 surround file, which is 10:44 to match the movie, multiplexing gets started but soon jumps to re-encoding.

I have not let this 2nd encoding pass proceed because I assume I'll lose my surround mix. Maybe that's not true, but either way re-encoding seems like a bad thing.

I've tried this several times, including with reference or standalone versions of the movie. Always get the same outcome.

The problem movie is one part of four in my current project. I've followed the same workflow for the 3 other pieces without seeing this problem, and without seeing the "doubling" of duration that Toast reports for this one file. All source video exported from iMovie as AIC 1440x1080 (1888x1062) and appears to be progressive. The encoded files are H.264/AVC, 1440x1080, 29.97 fps as reported in the Toast window.

What the heck is going on? Or better yet, how do I get past this?

Edited by WayneH

2 answers to this question

Help me be clear on this. The h.264 stream is video only. When you add it to the Toast window does Toast ask you to locate the audio stream? I'm presuming that's how you're adding the .ac3 audio which is how it should be. You have Never re-encode selected in the Toast custom encoder settings window, right? Am I understanding this correctly?

Help me be clear on this. The h.264 stream is video only. When you add it to the Toast window does Toast ask you to locate the audio stream? I'm presuming that's how you're adding the .ac3 audio which is how it should be. You have Never re-encode selected in the Toast custom encoder settings window, right? Am I understanding this correctly?

All correct. And the re-encode only starts when the movie-only is paired with the surround .ac3 file. I suppose the re-encode is triggered because Toast "thinks" the movie is 19:44 instead of the real length of 10:44.

I have a clue: I just discovered a blotchy and flashing title exported from iMovie in this particular movie. (This is a known issue with HD exports from iMovie - some of the moving titles cause this.) This is one glitch unique to this clip compared to my other 3 that work fine. I've removed this offending title altogether and I'm re-exporting the project now. It will be tomorrow before I know if this cures the problem in Toast.