• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

tracey69

disaster recovery

Question

Can anyone tell me how to do a disaster recovery with no cd-drive. I am a novice but this notepad has been nothing since trouble since i bought it at christmas. I keep getting trojans and things but my mcafee isnt kicking in like it does on my other 2 computers. The only thing to do is a system restore to how the notebook was when shipped. I cannot do a back up because of no cd-drive and which restore do i select out of the 3 Please help or this thing will go through the window

Thank you anybody

4 answers to this question

Can anyone tell me how to do a disaster recovery with no cd-drive. I am a novice but this notepad has been nothing since trouble since i bought it at christmas. I keep getting trojans and things but my mcafee isnt kicking in like it does on my other 2 computers. The only thing to do is a system restore to how the notebook was when shipped. I cannot do a back up because of no cd-drive and which restore do i select out of the 3 Please help or this thing will go through the window

Thank you anybody

I think you need to ask the manufacturer, who would know how their product is set up.

If you got BOT with the notebook, it would be an OEM [Original Equipment Mfgr] Version, modified to the OEM's specification, and they would know what it does.

If the restore is to be from a hidden partition on the drive, the manufacturer would know how to access it.

Lynn

One thing you might consider is getting an external DVD drive.

I've gotten a new netbook and it likewise has no optical drive.

I picked up a Samsung external DVD drive that's not much bigger than a CD case for less than $50.

That being said which version of BOT are you using?The standalone BOT3 or the version that comes in Roxio2010?

You do have a couple of choices.

First we need to get a couple of terms straight.

When you do a backup it is normally of just files that you want to keep such as things in your My Documents folder or others.

This will not help you recover your computer.It will only let you make backups of important data in case of a crash.

If you do an image and a recovery of your computer then you are making an image of your whole system.This can be used as a recovery in case of bad things happening.What it will do is restore your computer to the way it was when the image was made.

Whichever version you are using if you want to do a system recovery then you need to boot your computer to the recovery disc (which you make with a cd).This will load a version of the app that you can use to restore the image you've saved.

You can save an image to DVD but it takes quite a few.It's much better to use an external hard drive.

With BOT3 you can also do an Instant Restore but it's basically the same as a Windows Restore Point.It will return your computer to a previous state,hopefully good,that you've saved.The problem with these is that if you get a virus it will most likely still be there when you do the restore point.

I guess what it all boils down to is you don't necessarily need a DVD drive to do the backup or image,you can use an external hard drive, but you will need one to do a full system recovery with either version.

Edited by tbrewst

Thank you anybody

search HP site for SP42226

Download this, execute and have small , 1-2 Gb usb stick ready. It will produce nice bootable stick so you can restore with it your computer. Works perfect.

The only thing I'll say on that is that it is an HP solution meant for an HP computer.

It should probably work for others but beware of this.

Since it seems that most of these questions are coming from HP users with OEM versions of the software a bit of caution is needed.