• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Creator 2010 will not start

PhysicsDave

Question

Creator 2010 seems to install w/o problems but when I try to run the main program, I get the message "Roxio Creator has encountered a problem and needs to close." It is a nice clean close. After searching the posts in both Installation/Uninstallation/Update and the thread on hanging problems, I have tried just about everything suggested. I also have an open help ticket with Roxio Support for which there have been numerous exchanges. Those folks have been very helpful and I have tried everything they suggested. They asked most recently for a printout from dxdiag which I have provided. I just sent them a report of my latest failed attempt where I tried to incorporate all suggestions into a single attempt. At the end of this entry I will duplicate my report to them. I have also extracted some potentially useful information from the dxdiag report and have included that as well.

My question is, have I missed doing anything I should? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Dell DXP051

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05

Processor: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 352MB used, 3585MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 6800

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 256.0 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: SB Live! 24-bit

An update on what I have tried since the last entry I made in the Help Ticket. I downloaded and reinstalled MS .Net Framework 3.5 and attempted to start Creator 2010 before and after installing SP 1.

I have tried every suggestion I have found in a single attempt to reinstall. That includes the setup CleanSystem=1 uninstall followed by attempts from both Add or Remove Programs and WICUU although neither showed any signs of programs from Roxio, Sonic or EMC. SmartSound was found and removed. I used Revo Uninstaller to look for leftovers and registry items left behind by the uninstalls. I removed subdirectories for Roxio andSonic in both \program files and \program files\common files. In Document and Settings I removed Roxio and Sonic subdirectories from Applicatins Data for All Users, all Username accounts, and the username\Local Settings\Application Data directories. The recycle bin was emptied and cookies were emptied. In the registry I removed Roxio and Sonic founds from HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folders. After that I ran the registry cleaner Resistry Mechanic to find any other references to Roxio and Sonic. I created a new administrator account and restared the compouter w/o any startup programs loading (through msconfig). From the new administrator account I installed Creator 2010 from files extracted to my hard drive from RoxioCreator2010_HX19AXCOR13.exe (downloaded version). When Creator 2010 failed to start from the new account, I installed SP2 from roxiocreator2010sp2.exe and tried again.

Creator continues to "have problems" and terminate as does Rolio Venue. The Applications, when started independently, seem to start w/o difficulty.

Thank you for your patience.

11 answers to this question

Creator 2010 seems to install w/o problems but when I try to run the main program, I get the message "Roxio Creator has encountered a problem and needs to close." It is a nice clean close. After searching the posts in both Installation/Uninstallation/Update and the thread on hanging problems, I have tried just about everything suggested. I also have an open help ticket with Roxio Support for which there have been numerous exchanges. Those folks have been very helpful and I have tried everything they suggested. They asked most recently for a printout from dxdiag which I have provided. I just sent them a report of my latest failed attempt where I tried to incorporate all suggestions into a single attempt. At the end of this entry I will duplicate my report to them. I have also extracted some potentially useful information from the dxdiag report and have included that as well.

My question is, have I missed doing anything I should? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Dell DXP051

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05

Processor: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 352MB used, 3585MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 6800

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 256.0 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: SB Live! 24-bit

An update on what I have tried since the last entry I made in the Help Ticket. I downloaded and reinstalled MS .Net Framework 3.5 and attempted to start Creator 2010 before and after installing SP 1.

I have tried every suggestion I have found in a single attempt to reinstall. That includes the setup CleanSystem=1 uninstall followed by attempts from both Add or Remove Programs and WICUU although neither showed any signs of programs from Roxio, Sonic or EMC. SmartSound was found and removed. I used Revo Uninstaller to look for leftovers and registry items left behind by the uninstalls. I removed subdirectories for Roxio andSonic in both \program files and \program files\common files. In Document and Settings I removed Roxio and Sonic subdirectories from Applicatins Data for All Users, all Username accounts, and the username\Local Settings\Application Data directories. The recycle bin was emptied and cookies were emptied. In the registry I removed Roxio and Sonic founds from HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folders. After that I ran the registry cleaner Resistry Mechanic to find any other references to Roxio and Sonic. I created a new administrator account and restared the compouter w/o any startup programs loading (through msconfig). From the new administrator account I installed Creator 2010 from files extracted to my hard drive from RoxioCreator2010_HX19AXCOR13.exe (downloaded version). When Creator 2010 failed to start from the new account, I installed SP2 from roxiocreator2010sp2.exe and tried again.

Creator continues to "have problems" and terminate as does Rolio Venue. The Applications, when started independently, seem to start w/o difficulty.

Thank you for your patience.

Uninstall .NET 3.5 SP1 from the Control Panel and reinstall it from here.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Uninstall .NET 3.5 SP1 from the Control Panel and reinstall it from here.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Thank you for your response. I am in the process of downloading the full package for .NET 3.5 SP 1 from the source you linked even though I did try installing a freshly downloaded version .NET 3.5 and then added freshly downloaded SP1 install. After installing the downloaded copy as you have suggested, is it necessary to uninstall and reinstall Creator 2010 again? Taking all the precautions I listed in my first posting? I'm sorry if that is a dumb question but at this point I feel confident about nothing I may have known.

No. You will not need to uninstall.

I downloaded the installation file for .NET3.5 SP1 but realized I had, some time back, suffered what I have discovered is the dreaded KB953297 failure to install. After researching that problem. since it was associated with .NET files, I followed the most common recommendation which was to uninstall all the .NET programs on my machine and reinstall all of them. When I finished, the prescribed updates, including KB953297 :) ran successfully. I had hopes, then, that I might have also resolved the problem with Roxiocentral. My hopes have been dashed. Any further recommendations?

You should uninstall all .NET versions and have only 3.5 SP1. That version should have them all in one. I'm not sure why you would need the KB for .NET 1.1

I learned of the methods for complete removal of all the NET versions from the Windows community forums. The recommendation was to unload and then load, in specific order, first 3.5 SP 1, then 1.1, and finally 1.1 SP1 and provided access to files I could download to my machine rather than use Windows Updater. I believe the recommendation was to cover all of versions 2 and 3 with the installation of 3.5 and the installation of 1.1 was to cover some software that calls on the 1.1 version and version 1.1 is covered by 3.5. It should not hurt having it still there, should it? I am concerned because some of my other software goes back far enough that it might call on 1.1.

Try installing 1.1 before you install 3.5 SP1 and let me know what happens.

I have done as you have suggested. During uninstilation I found .NET 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP! in evidence. I then reinstalled in the order 1.1, 1.1 SP1, 3.5 SP1. After installation there were two updates suggested and performed. The same .NET files are shown in the remove applet. No change in the behavior of Creator 2010.

I hate to ask people to reinstall but try this.

1. Uninstall all Roxio Applications from Control Panel

2. Delete necessary Roxio reg keys by downloading and running .reg file here

a. http://www.dutran.com/Roxio/RemoveUninstallKeysC2010.zip

3. Uninstall all .NET versions from Control Panel

4. Delete cache files from HD

XP

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sonic\rxc.db

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sonic\sarlicense11.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\<installed user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Sonic_Solutions (Delete whole folder)

Vista and Win7:

C:\ProgramData\Sonic\rxc.db

C:\ProgramData\Sonic\sarlicense11.dat

C:\Users\<installed user>\AppData\Local\Sonic_Solutions (Delete whole folder)

5. Download and install XML 4 SP3

a. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

6. Download and install .NET 3.5 SP1

a. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

7. Copy files from Disc to hard drive. If downloaded extract them to folder on hard drive.

8. Run installation from hard drive.

I'm sorry that I have been so slow to respond. Three things came up to prevent me from responding -- work, family, and .NET Framework. I won't bother you with the first two but the third may be worth reporting.

I tried to follow your latest instructions to the letter although I also did a few things I hope would not negate your instructions. In addition to a clean uninstallation of Roxio 2010, I removed all remaining references to Roxio, Sonic, EMC, or SmartSound where I could find them. That included the registration files and all complete removal of any Applications subdirectories in the Documents and Settings for all users and my specific user files. For good measure, I also uninstalled all the MSXML files before installing MSXML 4 SP 3. I also made sure that the installation of MSXML 6.0 was the most current.

When I uninstalled all the .NET Framework files as cleanly as I could, when I tried to install a fresh version of .NET 3.5, it would not install. No matter what I tried or what order I tried installation of the earlier versions, I could not reinstall .NET of any version. That let me to a day's worth of research on the MS user's forums. In the end I elected to run a .NET Framework Cleanup Tool to which a number of forum entries pointed to. The user's guide warned that this is a last resort, but that was where I was. The latest version of the tool and it's documentation can be found at

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx.

The tool apparently not only cleans the file references in places like the registration files and removes the installed files, but it also removes all shared dll files from any of the versions of all .NET Framework versions. I then had to install the most currently available copies of all the .NET versions from the very beginning. Later versions would not install, even if they were identified as replacing the earlier versions. My guess is that later versions look for shared dll files that were installed in earlier versions. At any rate, installation of the .NET Framework versions, up through 3.5, went without a hitch. I then let MS Update do it's thing. (By the way, I did reboot the computer between most steps even though it was not called for by the installations.)

I was also able to download a .NET Framework verify tool that apparently does a thorough check and test of any of the versions installed. It verified all the files I had installed. The source for that tool was at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8999004.aspx.

Installation of Roxio 2010 (from files on the hard drive) proceeded without a hitch. There was no indication of any installation problems nor did the installation file logs (as far as I could tell, which is not very far, I am afraid) show any difficulties. I then installed SP2.

I was in hopes that my problems were involved with some corrupted .NET shared file that I finally replaced. Unfortunately, when I try to run the program, "Roxio has had a problem ..." once again. It is a shame that nothing is recorded to try to give a hint at what the problem might be. I am not sure how far I will have to be pushed before I finally bite the bullet and do a hard disk format and reinstall everything from the OS up. That scares me.

Thank you for all the help you have tried to give me.