never say never

Curious About Windows 7 and Creator 8

Question

Someone asked about installing Creator 8 in Windows 7 which made me wonder about the "XP mode" available in Pro and Ultimate Editions. Has anyone had any luck running applications through the XP mode? I have looked all over the microsoft website and can't find a compatibility chart for software in this mode as opposed to just using Windows 7.The website mentions it is for business applications, but that could cover a lot of territory. I am in the same boat as the other poster as I REALLY like Creator 8 and some other "oldies", but my xp computer isn't long for this world. Anyone out there using xp mode and wants to share thoughts?

7 answers to this question

Doesn't work.

You're welcome to try it yourself, though.

Someone asked about installing Creator 8 in Windows 7 which made me wonder about the "XP mode" available in Pro and Ultimate Editions. Has anyone had any luck running applications through the XP mode? I have looked all over the microsoft website and can't find a compatibility chart for software in this mode as opposed to just using Windows 7.The website mentions it is for business applications, but that could cover a lot of territory. I am in the same boat as the other poster as I REALLY like Creator 8 and some other "oldies", but my xp computer isn't long for this world. Anyone out there using xp mode and wants to share thoughts?

I emailed Microsoft asking if there was a list of programs that work in xp mode (and named Roxio 8 and a few other programs) and surprise of surprises I got a response.

They said " Due to the multitude of applications and programs that would have to be listed, there is not a list of software that is compatible with XP Mode. Most software that functions normally with Windows XP will function the same way in XP Mode". Somehow I feel like that is a non answer and I'm being set up to buy something that just won't work. Unless someone posts with success, I think I will stop while I'm ahead and just get Roxio 10. Thanks for the input.

I emailed Microsoft asking if there was a list of programs that work in xp mode (and named Roxio 8 and a few other programs) and surprise of surprises I got a response.

They said " Due to the multitude of applications and programs that would have to be listed, there is not a list of software that is compatible with XP Mode. Most software that functions normally with Windows XP will function the same way in XP Mode". Somehow I feel like that is a non answer and I'm being set up to buy something that just won't work. Unless someone posts with success, I think I will stop while I'm ahead and just get Roxio 10. Thanks for the input.

Because Roxio's Sales Team was very fuzzy about names, it is necessary to be very clear about them.

Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 is from 2007.

Roxio Creator 2009 is from 2008.

Roxio Creator 2010 is from 2009.

Of those three, only Creator 2010 is compatible with Win7.

There is also a further variant name, to wit, something like 'Creator 9' or 'Creator 10'. These turn out to be OEM [Original Equipment Mfgr] Versions coming "free" with a computer or burner. They are, so far, based on EMC 9 and EMC 10. They are either reduced variants of the full program, or VERY reduced variants of the full program.

So I hope you are now enabled to get the Version you need instead of the one someone wants to sell you :)

Lynn

Because Roxio's Sales Team was very fuzzy about names, it is necessary to be very clear about them.

Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 is from 2007.

Roxio Creator 2009 is from 2008.

Roxio Creator 2010 is from 2009.

Of those three, only Creator 2010 is compatible with Win7.

There is also a further variant name, to wit, something like 'Creator 9' or 'Creator 10'. These turn out to be OEM [Original Equipment Mfgr] Versions coming "free" with a computer or burner. They are, so far, based on EMC 9 and EMC 10. They are either reduced variants of the full program, or VERY reduced variants of the full program.

So I hope you are now enabled to get the Version you need instead of the one someone wants to sell you :)

Lynn

"Roxio's Sales Team was very fuzzy about names"

Did you read that somewhere in this post or are you just adding totally unrelated information...

cd

In view of the fact OP said he will just get Roxio 10 it seems relevant to clarify the Version numbers.

How does your post helpl?

Lynn

In view of the fact OP said he will just get Roxio 10 it seems relevant to clarify the Version numbers.

How does your post helpl?

Lynn

I'm sorry, my bad, I meant Roxio 2010 and skippy fingers typed Roxio 10.

I am just leery of Microsoft's "MOST" programs work. As I gave them the name(s) of the programs I wanted to use with xp mode and they did not confirm or deny, I can only assume they don't work, but Microsoft wants the sale of the more expensive software.

I'm sorry, my bad, I meant Roxio 2010 and skippy fingers typed Roxio 10.

That's all right, you paid for it by getting your ears bent with the "fuzzy" scolding lecture :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry about that.

You're right to be leery about Microsoft's assertions - they're more hopeful than certain.

Best to go by the Roxio KnowledgeBase article on Windows 7 compatibility. Nothing "fuzzy" about that - if it isn't listed, it isn't compatible.

Regards,

Brendon