Sign in to follow this  
doz19

disc image

Question

how many episodes could i fit on one disc by converting the files to disc image on toast then burning the disc image to a disc?

thanks

17 answers to this question

If you have a four-hour-long episode then you may be able to fit one. I don't know the exact maximum but it is in that ballpark. This presumes that Toast is doing the MPEG 2 encoding. If the video is already MPEG 2 encoded at less than full resolution (such as digital TV streams captured by EyeTV or a TiVo 3 or Premiere) then the total file size matters more than the video time length. In this case be sure to set Toast's custom encoder settings window to "Never Re-encode."

Edited by tsantee

i encode the eps to mpeg4 then put them as disc image

Figure on a maximum of about 3-1/2 hours.

i got 10 30 min ish episodes on a disc,,is that probably the maximum i should aim for? would be great if i could put about 20 on one disc!

i got 10 30 min ish episodes on a disc,,is that probably the maximum i should aim for? would be great if i could put about 20 on one disc!

Sorry, but I was confused. I thought you were trying to make a video DVD from the episodes. If all you need to do is burn the MPEG 4 videos to a disc then the number that fit the disc is equal to however much space the files require. When it exceeds 4.36 GB total then it is too much for one single-layer disc. When you are not making a video DVD then Toast's "Fit-to-DVD" process isn't in play. It only does additional compression for video in an existing VIDEO_TS folder that is part of a video DVD.

You don't mention if you are using a single-layer or dual-layer DVD. You obviously can fit more to a DL disc although not twice as much as a single-layer disc.

After you burn the videos to a disc how do you watch them? Is it on a computer screen?

my discs are single layer re-recordable ones and i watch the discs on a DVD player--not sure if toast would say when theres not enough space cos a disc isnt inserted when i do the disc image process

my discs are single layer re-recordable ones and i watch the discs on a DVD player--not sure if toast would say when theres not enough space cos a disc isnt inserted when i do the disc image process

There is a scale at the bottom of the Toast window indicating how much will fit a disc. Make sure DVD is selected as the media type at the right end of the scale.

didn't see the scale.. do you mean to select "dvd video" ?

At the bottom of the Toast window there is the large red button. Just to its left there is a small button that may say DVD, CD or DVD DL. Set it to DVD if it isn't already there. Just to its left is a long bar that changes from green to red as more content is added to the Toast window. Just below that scale there is text that describes how much space is used and how much is remaining. If Toast needs to re-encode the videos these are only indicators and not precise. If Toast doesn't need to re-encode the video then they are precise.

yup i think i see now,so if the bar near the burn button is red then its exceeded the limit.?.would like to know how many eps i could fit on though-the most that i could.

yup i think i see now,so if the bar near the burn button is red then its exceeded the limit.?.would like to know how many eps i could fit on though-the most that i could.

Which loops us back to the beginning of this thread. If you are using a single-layer disc (the ones that say they hold 4.7 GB) and you are having Toast make this into a video DVD playable on DVD players and the videos are not already MPEG 2 encoded, then I suggest putting 8 or 9 30-minute episodes in the video window with DVD video selected as the format. The indicator will be in the red, but click the Save as Disc Image button instead of clicking the big red button. When Toast is done writing the disc image, go to the Copy window (its the one to the right of the Video window [from left to right: Data, Audio, Video, Copy, Convert]. Choose Image file in the Copy window and add the .toast disc image you just saved. Now insert a blank DVD-R or DVD+R disc and click the big red burn button. Toast will do additional compression to try to get all those 8 or 9 videos on one disc.

After you have burned your disc and know it is working okay you can trash the .toast disc image file from your hard drive.

i already convert the files to mpeg 4 before making them into a disc image so that they will work on my DVD player, yeah they are single layer discs..i got 10 eps on last time so guess i was quite lucky

i already convert the files to mpeg 4 before making them into a disc image so that they will work on my DVD player, yeah they are single layer discs..i got 10 eps on last time so guess i was quite lucky

My post referred to using DVD video as the setting in Toast's Video window. In that setting the video gets re-encoded to MPEG 2. My guess is you are using the DivX disc setting. In that case just add your MPEG 4 videos until the bar at the bottom gets as full as it can. You are doing it right and should just ignore what I wrote about the DVD video setting. I kept guessing wrong about what setting you are using in Toast.

the bar at the bottom where it says DVD? put 10 eps in disc image, inserted the disc image into toast and the bar is green so does that mean i can fit more on?

the bar at the bottom where it says DVD? put 10 eps in disc image, inserted the disc image into toast and the bar is green so does that mean i can fit more on?

Yes