• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cant inport from camcorder

rayh78

Question

Just got a Sanyo HD camcorder. And roxio cant see the mpeg4 files to import.

With the Sanyo I can go to windows xp explore and see the files. Then copy them to my desktop. Then I can import them to roxio and burn a DVD. But roxio can’t import directly from the camera.

In roxio I go to video import but it can’t see the device (Sanyo).

So I go to option and browse and can see the camera but roxio cant see the video files. But if I go to windows explore I can see the files.

So why cant roxio see them. It’s almost like with roxio everything else works great but video import just does not work at all.

thanks

6 answers to this question

...... and what particular application are you trying to use to import the files. Don't try to capture the files.

You are doing it the right way; copy the files to your computer and then add then to Edit Video-Advanced for editing.

How do you have your Sanyo hooked up to your computer ? what type of cables are you using ? A bit more information about the Sanyo model and your computer makeup would be helpful

Frank...

Using a USB cable and its a sanyo Xacti VPC-FH1A

Also I did not install any of the software that can with the camera. It came with Nero and did not want any conflict and wanted Roxio instead of the Nero since I had heard Roxio was more user friendly.

I go to Roxio 2010 then to video/movies, then to capture video which takes me to video import. But then cant see the files.

I was just surprised roxio 2010 could not do the same thing as Windows XP explore.

Also if you don’t mind another question while I am here. For backup was going to get a new external hard drive. Would a portable one be more dependable than a regular external drive? Or is only advantage of the smaller portable is size.

Also I did not install any of the software that can with the camera. It came with Nero and did not want any conflict and wanted Roxio instead of the Nero since I had heard Roxio was more user friendly.

I go to Roxio 2010 then to video/movies, then to capture video which takes me to video import. But then cant see the files.

I was just surprised roxio 2010 could not do the same thing as Windows XP explore.

Also if you don’t mind another question while I am here. For backup was going to get a new external hard drive. Would a portable one be more dependable than a regular external drive? Or is only advantage of the smaller portable is size.

Again, don't import, just copy. Importing the way you are using the program is really trying to capture the video from a Firewire connected device or from an Analog to digital converter via USB. The capture is 1:1 in terms of time. so you would be wasting some. If you copy, then you don't have to worry about dropping frames, format, sync, etc.

I have 2 Sanyo camcorders and copying the file is the best way. Edit Video -Advanced (Video Wave) will handle the HD MOV files with not problems IF your computer far exceeds the minimum specs. I sometimes have issues with my computer in terms of jittery editing and output. Make sure nothing else is running when you are doing the video editing.. Disconnect from the internet and shut down everything including anti-virus and anti-malware.

Several people (including me) have a docking device for hard drives. You buy an internal hard drive (bare drive) and insert it into the docking device. This has the advantage of being able to switch out drives for different purposes. For example, you could use one drive to back up only video files/folder, another for images, etc.

How much portability do you want in the external drive? Neither are very large so it is a matter of taste.

Edited by sknis

Also if you don't mind another question while I am here. For backup was going to get a new external hard drive. Would a portable one be more dependable than a regular external drive? Or is only advantage of the smaller portable is size.

Nice camcorder rayh !! From what I can tell looking at the spec's for the camera, it does have a USB out port and A/V out, but for using with the C2010 program you need to have a firewire cable from the camera to the computer and capture with an avi file type video. Based on your information, it looks like you are using the correct proceedure in C2010 for capturing the video.

My suggestion is to load the software that came with the camcorder and download your video to your computer using the USB cable I assume that came with the package. Once having that video file on the computer, you should be able to use it with the Roxio program (i.e. Videowave--MyDVD etc.)

As far as an external backup HD, I have used both portable and ones I have used in an external case. Both work fine. One thing you should concider though is (either portable or regular external) is what type of cables hookup options it has. many of them just have a USB 2.o connection, while other have USB, Firewire and even e-SATA. Firewire is faster than uSB and e-SATA is even faster but for just backup work I would say even the single USB would be satisfactory. Also consider the size HD for your needs as well.

If you have the ability and experience, you might even consider installing an "Internal" slave HD in your computer if it has room for another SATA drive. That would even be better.

Frank...