• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

PAL vhs to dvd

locaporelcine

Question

I have an AIWA Worldwide video vhs player and I have several PAL vhs tapes I want to transfer to dvd. My vhs player converts PAL to NTSC output so the image is viewed on NTSC tvs. When I attempt to capture video the image is jumpy, as if the tracking is wrong, but when I play the video on my tv the video tracking is oK.

Has anyone attempted to transfer PAL tapes using this software? My understanding is that Roxio VHS to DVD recognizes PAL.

15 answers to this question

I have an AIWA Worldwide video vhs player and I have several PAL vhs tapes I want to transfer to dvd. My vhs player converts PAL to NTSC output so the image is viewed on NTSC tvs. When I attempt to capture video the image is jumpy, as if the tracking is wrong, but when I play the video on my tv the video tracking is oK.

Has anyone attempted to transfer PAL tapes using this software? My understanding is that Roxio VHS to DVD recognizes PAL.

Did you select PAL in the options.

Having a options button would depend on what version of Easy VHS to DVD, locaporelcine is running.

cd

I do not have an OPTIONS button, or I do not know where to find it. I only have a Preference options under File that shows the aspect ration, but no PAL or NTSC option to select.

I do not have an OPTIONS button, or I do not know where to find it. I only have a Preference options under File that shows the aspect ration, but no PAL or NTSC option to select.

Go here http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...mp;#entry285389 and scroll down to post #8 and thats were the options are.

If you player is outputing NTSC then the option's don't matter, its in the correct format.

What happens when you use a regular VHS NTSC tape?

• Like 1

Go here http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...mp;#entry285389 and scroll down to post #8 and thats were the options are.

If you player is outputing NTSC then the option's don't matter, its in the correct format.

What happens when you use a regular VHS NTSC tape?

Regarding NTSC tapes, I have no problem with the copy quality. Evertyhing works OK.

Like you the picture on my TV monitor is steady but the image on the preview screen on the Roxio Media Import page is very jumpy. Sound comes through OK.

I do have an Options button on the Media Import page (it is above the RHS of the preview screen). It opens up a dialog box which enables a country to be selected and the TV Standard (in my case Pal) to be set.

I am trying to track down the cause of the jumpiness.

Does this happen on ALL your PAL tapes?.

What type of tapes are these, your own or commercial ones>

Edited by ogdens

Regarding NTSC tapes, I have no problem with the copy quality. Evertyhing works OK.

Just want to check what we have here....

When you use a PAL tape (that is converted by your player to NTSC) you have problems.

When you use a regular NTSC tape its ok.

Have I got it it right?

Edited by ogdens

Just want to check what we have here....

When you use a PAL tape (that is converted by your player to NTSC) you have problems.

When you use a regular NTSC tape its ok.

Have I got it it right?

Yes, you are correct. NTSC to NTSC is OK. PAL to NTSC I get jumpy frames, and brakes in color (I have green horizontal lines that flicker for less than a second or so. I wonder if it has something to do with the fps in PAL vs fps in NTSC, and if so, how I can get the conversion to work. Apparently, the AIWA video can make the conversion, because on TV I get a good ("normal" or good quality) display, with no jumps or color distortion.

Yes, you are correct. NTSC to NTSC is OK. PAL to NTSC I get jumpy frames, and brakes in color (I have green horizontal lines that flicker for less than a second or so. I wonder if it has something to do with the fps in PAL vs fps in NTSC, and if so, how I can get the conversion to work. Apparently, the AIWA video can make the conversion, because on TV I get a good ("normal" or good quality) display, with no jumps or color distortion.

In post #7 you were asked "What type of tapes are these, your own or commercial ones"?.

This MAYBE the problem, answer the above and we will go from there.

If they are commercial tapes we could be into a MacroVision problem (Macrovision is a video copy protection method for video playback equipment)

Read this on Macrovision http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_macrovision.php .

NTSC tapes play fine (this means that the Roxio USB device is working fine). It is only when your AIWA converts them from PAL to NTSC that you have a problem.

Reply to Locaporelcine & Digital Guru.

I have tried a commercial PAL video tape - picture still jumps. Even with a still picture the picture jumps e.g. text appears in different places on the screen.

If I knew how to send you mpg attachments (2 x 3MB approx) you could see for yourself.

I have an idea the problem may be conflict with another programme or else noise gets in somehow. None of my other programmes (e.g. Nero 6 Reloaded and KWorld TV card) exhibit this behaviour.

Reply to Locaporelcine & Digital Guru.

I have tried a commercial PAL video tape - picture still jumps. Even with a still picture the picture jumps e.g. text appears in different places on the screen.

If I knew how to send you mpg attachments (2 x 3MB approx) you could see for yourself.

I have an idea the problem may be conflict with another programme or else noise gets in somehow. None of my other programmes (e.g. Nero 6 Reloaded and KWorld TV card) exhibit this behaviour.

Reply to Harvin and Digital Guru:

All my tapes are commercial tapes (my property). Some of these tapes are 10 + years old. My purpose for VHS to DVD conversion is to preserve the tapes or some scenes from the tapes. Some of these pictures have not been released in DVD and I doubt they will ever be. The tapes have been in storage for three years and I fear the quality will deteriorate if I leave them as they are.

Since my initial post, I have attempted several conversions with NTSC and PAL tapes. Some NTSC work fine and others do not, which now makes me think that some tapes have the Macrovision playback protection and some do not. If that is the case, VHS to DVD is respecting the Macrovision protection and scrambles the image to avoid reproduction.

Thank you both for your input

Edited by locaporelcine

Reply to Harvin and Digital Guru:

All my tapes are commercial tapes (my property). Some of these tapes are 10 + years old. My purpose for VHS to DVD conversion is to preserve the tapes or some scenes from the tapes. Some of these pictures have not been released in DVD and I doubt they will ever be. The tapes have been in storage for three years and I fear the quality will deteriorate if I leave them as they are.

Since my initial post, I have attempted several conversions with NTSC and PAL tapes. Some NTSC work fine and others do not, which now makes me think that some tapes have the Macrovision playback protection and some do not. If that is the case, Copy and Convert is respecting the Macrovision protection and scrambles the image to avoid reproduction.

Thank you both for your input

If they are commercial AND they have MacroVision, they will say so!

post-39730-1274643563.jpg