• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Reducing Video Quality

carudy

Question

I am trying to reduce file size and am not very concerned about video quality. How can I convert HD video to something less space-consuming. I have tried to convert for the iPhone putting the slider all the way to the small file size end. It turned a 25MB file into a 511MB file, according the the file information in Windows 7. Help.

10 answers to this question

I am trying to reduce file size and am not very concerned about video quality. How can I convert HD video to something less space-consuming. I have tried to convert for the iPhone putting the slider all the way to the small file size end. It turned a 25MB file into a 511MB file, according the the file information in Windows 7. Help.

What is the Length of the movie?

What is your final goal?

What is the Length of the movie?

What is your final goal?

I am an instructor and I have a set of 5 min (approximately) student presentations. So, while I am not concerned about quality, so long as they can see and hear themselves, I cannot reduce the time. I would love to be able to send each student a file via email.

Thanks!

I am an instructor and I have a set of 5 min (approximately) student presentations. So, while I am not concerned about quality, so long as they can see and hear themselves, I cannot reduce the time. I would love to be able to send each student a file via email.

Thanks!

You still have not provided the LENGTH of the file and the Target Value and Format you are looking for…

You may not know the latter so here are some guidelines. MOV formats can be read by iPod’s and QuickTime.

MPEG & WMV files would work on a PC.

Are you considering breaking the clips apart for each student?

I may not be able to do any testing today but anyone can give it a look if you will provide the key data.

You still have not provided the LENGTH of the file and the Target Value and Format you are looking for…

You may not know the latter so here are some guidelines. MOV formats can be read by iPod’s and QuickTime.

MPEG & WMV files would work on a PC.

Are you considering breaking the clips apart for each student?

I may not be able to do any testing today but anyone can give it a look if you will provide the key data.

The length of each movie is approximately 5 minutes. I cannot shorten the length. Each student already has a separate file. The target format is either MPEG or WMV.

Thanks!

The length of each movie is approximately 5 minutes. I cannot shorten the length. Each student already has a separate file. The target format is either MPEG or WMV.

Thanks!

4 .5 MB is about as small as I see a 5 minute file coming out…

I don’t see any way to get it small and remain in the mainstream compatibility.

This would be a good one for DivX, except Roxio dropped it from this version… And making sure all your students had the codec they would need.

I am curious what the original was made with?

4 .5 MB is about as small as I see a 5 minute file coming out…

I don’t see any way to get it small and remain in the mainstream compatibility.

This would be a good one for DivX, except Roxio dropped it from this version… And making sure all your students had the codec they would need.

I am curious what the original was made with?

If I could get the size down to 4.5MB, that would be great. Please provide direction. I used a Canon Vixia HF S20. I had it on the lowest quality when creating the initial movies.

If I could get the size down to 4.5MB, that would be great. Please provide direction. I used a Canon Vixia HF S20. I had it on the lowest quality when creating the initial movies.

I tried Video Copy & Convert as well as Drag & Drop but VideoWave was the only one I could get to produce a file as close as you specified…

In VW, use the Export As icon or Menu command.

Set Purpose to All and scroll to the bottom of the drop box and select this one:

post-39730-1274182330.jpg

It should reflect those settings after you pick it:

post-39730-1274182346.jpg

If anyone knows any other solution to produce a 5 minute video into a <5 MB file and utilize a Windows viewer, chime in!

Edited by Jim_Hardin

That's is the smallest I can find, too. However you chose 4:3 version. If he is using HD camcorder and uses a 16:9 project, the smallest is 192x108 and the file ends up around 7.75MB.

That is taking it the wrong way Gary :o:lol::D

But I didn’t think of that and I should not have missed it! ;)