• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Videowave Trim s l o w

bostondriver

Question

I'm trying to understand what I've done (installed?) wrong with Creator 2010 videowave.

I have 2 hours of movie in VIDEO_TS that I can bring into videowave. When I try to trim it is painfully, painfully slow. I can play the movie but, rather than watch the entire thing until I hit the trim 'start' point then again to select the 'end' position, I slide to a place close to the time of the desired frame. Once I do that, videowave is out to lunch.

I tried the same thing with DivX Author 1.5 (had it lying around). Editing is instant, keyboard/mouse clicks responded to instantly. I'm trying this on the same VIDEO_TS and hardware.

I don't want DivX output, and there are other features of Creator 2010 I'm interested in, which is why I bought it. So I'd like to figure out how to get videowave to work.

Can anyone suggest what I can look at to debug? There is no reason why one product would be quick and the other agonizingly slow, if it responds at all.

My HW shouldn't be a problem:

Windows 7 (32 bit)

quad core XEON 3Ghz

16GB RAM

4x1TB SATA disk

Thanks

10 answers to this question

I'm trying to understand what I've done (installed?) wrong with Creator 2010 videowave.

I have 2 hours of movie in VIDEO_TS that I can bring into videowave. When I try to trim it is painfully, painfully slow. I can play the movie but, rather than watch the entire thing until I hit the trim 'start' point then again to select the 'end' position, I slide to a place close to the time of the desired frame. Once I do that, videowave is out to lunch.

I tried the same thing with DivX Author 1.5 (had it lying around). Editing is instant, keyboard/mouse clicks responded to instantly. I'm trying this on the same VIDEO_TS and hardware.

I don't want DivX output, and there are other features of Creator 2010 I'm interested in, which is why I bought it. So I'd like to figure out how to get videowave to work.

Can anyone suggest what I can look at to debug? There is no reason why one product would be quick and the other agonizingly slow, if it responds at all.

My HW shouldn't be a problem:

Windows 7 (32 bit)

quad core XEON 3Ghz

16GB RAM

4x1TB SATA disk

Thanks

You forgot to mention your video card/chip. That has a great influence on it especially if the original is HD and long. In Edit Video-Advanced, go to tools options and put a radio dot next to software. Try again.

Remember only about one hour of best quality video on a single sided DVD; almost two hours on a DL. You might take that into your thinking.

You forgot to mention your video card/chip. That has a great influence on it especially if the original is HD and long. In Edit Video-Advanced, go to tools options and put a radio dot next to software. Try again.

Remember only about one hour of best quality video on a single sided DVD; almost two hours on a DL. You might take that into your thinking.

Video is nVidia Quadro FX 3400. System is a Stock Dell Precision 690, with SATA, RAM upgrades, and Win7 clean install. Still in the process of getting that "into production"

If it helps any, the same problem, but even slower is on the system still in my signature (Dell Precision P380, 3Gh P4, 5GB RAM, 2+TB SATA... ATI Fire v3100) running XP SP3 and EMC 10 Deluxe Suite.

Both machines also have WinTV cards if it matters.. both with HW assiste mpeg.

The movie is not HD, came from single sided DVD.

I'll try putting the red dot next to software on both and see what happens.

Thanks.

In Edit Video-Advanced, go to tools options and put a radio dot next to software. Try again.

How do I find this?

I can't see Edit Video-Advanced anywhere <g>.

I tried both systems, EMC 10 Deluxe Suite and Creator 2010 Pro.

I did find HW vs. SW rendering, but not under Edit. IIRC it was Tools --> Options (it takes too long to boot else I'd go look right now. But I need beer.

Just in case this is what you refer to, I tested both HW vs. SW and both tests (via test button) work... leaving the radio button set to software didn't change anything I said originally.

Will try more tomorrow, might have a hangover though LOL

How do I find this?

I can't see Edit Video-Advanced anywhere <g>.

I tried both systems, EMC 10 Deluxe Suite and Creator 2010 Pro.

I did find HW vs. SW rendering, but not under Edit. IIRC it was Tools --> Options (it takes too long to boot else I'd go look right now. But I need beer.

Just in case this is what you refer to, I tested both HW vs. SW and both tests (via test button) work... leaving the radio button set to software didn't change anything I said originally.

Will try more tomorrow, might have a hangover though LOL

In Creator 2010, when you click on the desktop icon, it should show on the Home screen. If it doesn't, click on the Videos/Movies icon, on the left side of the screen, and you will see it there.

EMC 10 was the last version that there was an icon with the actual word "VideoWave" to the right of the icon. There is no silly a-ssed Edit Video-Advanced name in EMC 10.

Edited by grandpabruce

In Creator 2010, when you click on the desktop icon, it should show on the Home screen. If it doesn't, click on the Videos/Movies icon, on the left side of the screen, and you will see it there.

EMC 10 was the last version that there was an icon with the actual word "VideoWave" to the right of the icon. There is no silly a-ssed Edit Video-Advanced name in EMC 10.

The machine in question is off doing Unix things still.... hopefully done by tomorrow. Until then, I'd like to clarify something. I know how to start videowave, in both EMC 10 and Creator 2010 Pro. What I haven't found yet, when running videowave, is anything under Edit --> "Video-Advanced.

As I said earlier, in videowave, under Tools --> Options, setting rendering to software instead of hardware didn't help. I still have the original problem.

The machine in question is off doing Unix things still.... hopefully done by tomorrow. Until then, I'd like to clarify something. I know how to start videowave, in both EMC 10 and Creator 2010 Pro. What I haven't found yet, when running videowave, is anything under Edit --> "Video-Advanced.

As I said earlier, in videowave, under Tools --> Options, setting rendering to software instead of hardware didn't help. I still have the original problem.

"Edit --> "Video-Advanced." opens Videowave, you don't see this option under Videowave. :blink:

"Edit --> "Video-Advanced." opens Videowave, you don't see this option under Videowave. :blink:

I was hoping I was missing something, cause changing that setting doesn't help <g>

I thought my initial post explained that I was already in videowave, trying to trim.... then the system (well, just videowave) was slow... when it responded at all.

For kicks, I tried on a very small mp4 file, just to see if even that would work.... kick the tires.... know what to expect when things worked etc. Keeping the SW rendering setting, I was able to trim.... when it worked. To get that far, I had to kill and restart videowave a few times. Had to give up on using an mp4 file.... videowave just went on vacation.... with .wmv, after a few attempts, videowave finally let me trim, and exported an mp4 (go figure.)

Small wmv file that worked = 4000KB

Small mp4 file that didn't work = 19000KB

Technically, the wmv file worked, in that I was able to trim and export.... wasn't painless... best case, it was still slow, but (best case) I didn't get "not responding" once. DivX Author 1.5 flies through the 5GB VIDEO_TS I mentioned in my original post.... on the same hardware.

Has to be some setting (or two) that needs to change???? Or is this the performance everyone else sees?

Thanks

I was hoping I was missing something, cause changing that setting doesn't help <g>

I thought my initial post explained that I was already in videowave, trying to trim.... then the system (well, just videowave) was slow... when it responded at all.

For kicks, I tried on a very small mp4 file, just to see if even that would work.... kick the tires.... know what to expect when things worked etc. Keeping the SW rendering setting, I was able to trim.... when it worked. To get that far, I had to kill and restart videowave a few times. Had to give up on using an mp4 file.... videowave just went on vacation.... with .wmv, after a few attempts, videowave finally let me trim, and exported an mp4 (go figure.)

Small wmv file that worked = 4000KB

Small mp4 file that didn't work = 19000KB

Technically, the wmv file worked, in that I was able to trim and export.... wasn't painless... best case, it was still slow, but (best case) I didn't get "not responding" once. DivX Author 1.5 flies through the 5GB VIDEO_TS I mentioned in my original post.... on the same hardware.

Has to be some setting (or two) that needs to change???? Or is this the performance everyone else sees?

Thanks

No, only few people who have marginal or dirty computer have complains like you do.

If your video card is what you have posted, then I would call it marginal or poor.

From ATI site

"ATI FireGL V3100

Features

Built on ATI’s native PCI Express x16 lane architecture

Outstanding entry-level workstation performance and quality utilizing 4 pixel pipelines and 2 geometry engines

128 MB DDR unified graphics memory

Dual display support via DVI and VGA outputs

Optimized and certified for professional workstation applications based on OpenGL® and Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0

Windows® and Linux® support "

Your graphics are most likely the problem. Nothing will help that except a better graphics card with at least 512 memory on board.

That should pretty much end this conversation.

Edited by sknis

No, only few people who have marginal or dirty computer have complains like you do.

If your video card is what you have posted, then I would call it marginal or poor.

From ATI site

"ATI FireGL V3100

Features

Built on ATI’s native PCI Express x16 lane architecture

Outstanding entry-level workstation performance and quality utilizing 4 pixel pipelines and 2 geometry engines

128 MB DDR unified graphics memory

Dual display support via DVI and VGA outputs

Optimized and certified for professional workstation applications based on OpenGL® and Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0

Windows® and Linux® support "

Your graphics are most likely the problem. Nothing will help that except a better graphics card with at least 512 memory on board.

That should pretty much end this conversation.

On the Creator 2010 Pro system, video isn't the ATI you quote (the ATI is on the EMC10 machine which I tried as well to compare results when 2010 Pro had the problem I originally mentioned.)

Video is nVidia Quadro FX 3400, as shipped with a stock Dell Precision 690.

Windows 7 (32 bit) - WEI gives this card high 4.x marks... not great, but marginal????

quad core XEON 3Ghz

16GB RAM

4x1TB SATA disk

DivX Author 1.5 is on the same HW in both cases, it behaves... don't want to use this for reasons I've already mentioned, but since it works on this HW, still could be a setting in videowave that needs to be tweaked.... Upgrading the graphics isn't out of the question, but when that is done, I don't want to end up right back where I am now.

Thanks.