• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
rpini

Video noise at bottom of screen

Question

This may be a total nit-pick, I realize, but there's nothing to be gained by not asking. I'm using EVDM 1.03 on a MacBook Pro running 10.5.8. In general, I am well pleased with the product. (Yes, I'd also like to be able to redirect the output to another drive.) I notice, though, that while the video preview on the laptop looks perfect, the actual recording almost always shows a line of noise/static across the bottom of the video when I play back in QuickTime. It's noticeable enough that I should be able to see it in EVDM's preview window (even though that window is smaller). Has anyone else noticed this? If so, is there any explanation for it? (Preview window clips the edges, but the recording captures the full frame, perhaps?) Related: Is there any way to get rid of this noise? Tracking adjustment is automatic on two different VCR playback machines. Thanks in advance.

2 answers to this question

I'm not an expert at this but my understanding is that noise is supposed to be there on a VHS tape but it is intentionally in the overscan area that doesn't appear on what the TV displays. If you make a video DVD from that file the noise should stay in that overscan area and not be visible in playback from the DVD. As for editing it out I think that can be done by rescaling with QuickTime 7 Pro and posssible MPEG Streamclip but I've never tried it. Those apps require Apple's QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component to read MPEG 2 video files.

I'm not an expert at this but my understanding is that noise is supposed to be there on a VHS tape but it is intentionally in the overscan area that doesn't appear on what the TV displays. If you make a video DVD from that file the noise should stay in that overscan area and not be visible in playback from the DVD. As for editing it out I think that can be done by rescaling with QuickTime 7 Pro and posssible MPEG Streamclip but I've never tried it. Those apps require Apple's QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component to read MPEG 2 video files.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've not tried making a DVD from the MPEG 2 files yet; I'll see whether or not the noise shows up. At worst, it's a minor irritation but as these are files for archival purposes, I'm trying to make them as neat and clean as I can (with the resources at hand).