Turbo H.264

sundaddy

Question

Pardon me if this has been discussed recently, but I'm wanting to burn mp4 720p movies I get off the internet into Toast 10 blu ray on a DVD-R. Would it be an asset to fork out the money for an Elgato Turbo H.264 encoder? Does Toast 10 ever plan on jiving with the Turbo to the point where Re-encoding is no longer necessary?

5 answers to this question

Thanks, I'm either thinking of buying this or a blu ray burner. Would toast still try to re-encode if you're using a blu ray burner?

Toast has to re-encode the video from the Turbo.264HD because the MPEG 4 audio must be converted to AC3. Toast re-encodes if either the video or audio is out of spec.

Rather than buying the Turbo consider getting the WD TV Live so you can play the HD video straight from your computer to your TV without creating a Blu-ray disc. No conversion is needed in that case.

Ok, well the files I have say Audio:AC3. Do you think it would still "encode"

Probably. I don't think it will re-encode the ac-3 audio, though. You can tell by looking to see if both a video and an audio stream are being written to the Roxio Converted Items folder during the encoding. If there is only video then Toast is not re-encoding the audio.

You might browse some of posts by Wayne H. We've had some earlier discussions that is similar to what you're asking.