• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Blanks - missing pictures

Sol Rosenberg

Question

After a whole lot of trouble, described here

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...&pid=329207

and here

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...&pid=329038

I have done a complete uninstall reinstall (which took about 15 reboots before it would let me reinstall Creator 2010 - don't know why)

I also rolled back my video card driver as suggested.

I still have the Runtime error described before - I can't open MYDVD directly. However, I found that I can get into MyDVD through Videowave (I'm guessing it's MyDVD lite or something - it looks different). I try to burn my project to an iso, and it shuts down with an error code 800 something (didn't write it down, just copied and pasted and now that's gone) that I searched on roxio help site and they recommended UPDATING my video driver.

So, I updated my video driver and tried to open MYDVD directly - still doesn't work , same error message. I do the same work around going through Videowave, and my project actually starts encoding - AWESOME. But there are blanks galore in the preview, and it is now hung at 28%. sucks. I use Creator for a major project once a year, and it always fails me in some major way as the pressure to complete the project mounts. I like the end product, and can use it quite easily, so I stick with it, but I've had problems with emc 8, emc 10, creator 2009, and now creator 2010. Should I just get a mac? hahaha. I don't know, just tired.

Appreciate any help or suggestions - that's the only way I've ever finished any video project using roxio when I come to think of it!

25 answers to this question

I don't know where to start. You ave listed all kinds of issues but which one is the most pressing for you?

A couple of comments assuming that your computer is up to snuff and current.

If Video Wave encoding stops, there there is a problem in the production. It could be a image that is too short in duration, a transition longer than the images on both sides, use of transitions without images, use of DRM protected music; use of some mp3 rather than wav files, use of DRM protected music, etc. Look at the encoding preview to see about where the encoding hangs. Go to the production about that place and you'll find the problem. This was the trick to finding issues where videos would not encode in My DVD.

In Video Wave, go to the top menu and select tools/options and put a dot next to software.

Are you getting blanks or black images? Are they always the same or do they change? If always the same, double click on them in Video Wave and then apply an effect -even just a auto fix. try again.

If the missing images change, that usually means that your computer is having difficulties keeping up with the encoding and the burning at the same time. When you go to burn in MyDVD, select to burn to an ISO file at HQ. Add the name and where you want it to be placed on your computer. Once it completes, copy the ISO file to a top quality DVD.

Top quality are Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden (JVC). At the other end of the spectrum are Memorex and store brands. You memories are worth a few cents more.

OK that is a few more than a few comments. Please try them (if you can) and come back to let us know what the key issue is now.

If you truly have Creator 2010, then MyDVD should NOT look different opening it from Video Wave, Fron the Video/Movies page or from Windws /programs list. Have you checked to make sure the right version is opening? (Since you ahve both Creator 2009 and Creator 2010 on your computer).

Edited by sknis

After a whole lot of trouble, described here

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...&pid=329207

and here

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...&pid=329038

I have done a complete uninstall reinstall (which took about 15 reboots before it would let me reinstall Creator 2010 - don't know why)

I also rolled back my video card driver as suggested.

I still have the Runtime error described before - I can't open MYDVD directly. However, I found that I can get into MyDVD through Videowave (I'm guessing it's MyDVD lite or something - it looks different). I try to burn my project to an iso, and it shuts down with an error code 800 something (didn't write it down, just copied and pasted and now that's gone) that I searched on roxio help site and they recommended UPDATING my video driver.

So, I updated my video driver and tried to open MYDVD directly - still doesn't work , same error message. I do the same work around going through Videowave, and my project actually starts encoding - AWESOME. But there are blanks galore in the preview, and it is now hung at 28%. sucks. I use Creator for a major project once a year, and it always fails me in some major way as the pressure to complete the project mounts. I like the end product, and can use it quite easily, so I stick with it, but I've had problems with emc 8, emc 10, creator 2009, and now creator 2010. Should I just get a mac? hahaha. I don't know, just tired.

Appreciate any help or suggestions - that's the only way I've ever finished any video project using roxio when I come to think of it!

Have you tried outputting to a video file from Videowave? Select DVD mpeg, best quality. Does it encode properly?

Have you tried outputting to a video file from Videowave? Select DVD mpeg, best quality. Does it encode properly?

OK, tried it a few times - first time it hung after about 23%, second time it had a bunch of black slides where pictures should have been, third time it had a bunch of black slides where pictures should have been (though different pictures this time) and it froze on playback about 7 minutes in.

OK, tried it a few times - first time it hung after about 23%, second time it had a bunch of black slides where pictures should have been, third time it had a bunch of black slides where pictures should have been (though different pictures this time) and it froze on playback about 7 minutes in.

The loss of images can be either from an encoding problem in Video Wave where the images missing are always the same or in MyDVD where th images missing change. Your computer cannot encode and burn at the same time. The steps must be separated.

In MyDVD (Create DVD), when you go to burn, burn to an ISO (image file) at best quality. Select the name and where you want it. Once it completes copy the ISO to the disc using Video Copy and Convert. burn at half the maximum speed and throw out those Memorex and store brand discs. Use Verbatim or JVC (Taiyo Yuden).

I'm not trying to burn to disk. I am trying to

1. output from videowave to mpeg2

2. create an iso in mydvd

Same thing happens - missing pictures, always different. I never burn directly to dvd, since I need 55 of these, I always create an ISO. I tried the output to mpeg2 directly from videowave based on above suggestion. I have played around with different things in Mydvd - software/hardware, smart encode checked, smart encode not checked. Doesn't work. I watch my task manager as the encoding happens - it never maxes, though it gets up to about 80% CPU sometimes.

I'm not trying to burn to disk. I am trying to

1. output from videowave to mpeg2

2. create an iso in mydvd

Same thing happens - missing pictures, always different. I never burn directly to dvd, since I need 55 of these, I always create an ISO. I tried the output to mpeg2 directly from videowave based on above suggestion. I have played around with different things in Mydvd - software/hardware, smart encode checked, smart encode not checked. Doesn't work. I watch my task manager as the encoding happens - it never maxes, though it gets up to about 80% CPU sometimes.

Forget about myDVD for the moment and stay with Videowave (not the one in myDVD) until you have the encoding problem solved.

Have you defragged your hard drive lately? What are your system specs? You may have them listed in one of your other threads; it is a good idea to put them in your signature like I and others have done. How much free space on your hard drive? How long in time is the project? Have you tried the software and/or hardware render method? Have you tried with a small project and slowly build it up to see at what point it fails?

Have you defragged your hard drive lately? What are your system specs? You may have them listed in one of your other threads; it is a good idea to put them in your signature like I and others have done. How much free space on your hard drive? How long in time is the project? Have you tried the software and/or hardware render method? Have you tried with a small project and slowly build it up to see at what point it fails?

I've defragged several times over the last few days. My system specs are in my signature. There is 15 GB free space on my hard drive. The project is about 23 minutes long. Since we are talking videowave, I'm not able to choose hardware/software - I am trying to render to an MPEG 2 file. I've tried all four possible qualities. I've tried a 6 minute video - same problems.

I just bought a brand new i7 8GB RAM computer. It has 860 GB free memory on the hard drive. I have installed Creator 2010 and transferred over my entire project, and relinked all the photos and videos.

It has 860 GB free memory on the hard drive. The same thing is happening. Is this software ready for the trash?

I've defragged several times over the last few days. My system specs are in my signature. There is 15 GB free space on my hard drive. The project is about 23 minutes long. Since we are talking videowave, I'm not able to choose hardware/software - I am trying to render to an MPEG 2 file. I've tried all four possible qualities. I've tried a 6 minute video - same problems.

I just bought a brand new i7 8GB RAM computer. It has 860 GB free memory on the hard drive. I have installed Creator 2010 and transferred over my entire project, and relinked all the photos and videos.

It has 860 GB free memory on the hard drive. The same thing is happening. Is this software ready for the trash?

Of course you can switch choose hardware/software rendering in Videowave, it has nothing to do with rendering to mpeg2. It works the same way as in myDVD: on the main menu bar under Tools/Options.

It seems to me that if you are having identical problems on two different computers then the source of your problems may be the photos/videos you are using.

Maybe the photos and videos are the problem? But why do they show up and play in preview? I am using large photos (6048x4032) and as I mentioned before a combination of video sources, but mostly m2ts. Should I make my photos smaller or something? If creator can't handle the photos/video, why would they allow it to be dropped in to the project in the first place? And why do some of the photos show up, and most of the video? Crazy!

I've rented a macbook pro - I'm going to give imovie a try. I am creating a two disk movie and need to have 55 copies of it ready for Tuesday, June 2. Starting from scratch is not cool.

Maybe the photos and videos are the problem? But why do they show up and play in preview? I am using large photos (6048x4032) and as I mentioned before a combination of video sources, but mostly m2ts. Should I make my photos smaller or something? If creator can't handle the photos/video, why would they allow it to be dropped in to the project in the first place? And why do some of the photos show up, and most of the video? Crazy!

I've rented a macbook pro - I'm going to give imovie a try. I am creating a two disk movie and need to have 55 copies of it ready for Tuesday, June 2. Starting from scratch is not cool.

Did you see somewhere that M2TS video format was supported?

The photos are probably not the problem. What format are the photos?

These are the supported formats:

Input Formats

Video: AVI, DV, HDV, DV-AVI, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD, DVD-Video, IFO/VOB, XviD, DVR-MS, TiVo, ASF, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, 3GP, MPEG2 Transport Stream, AVC (H.264), AVCHD

Audio: Audio CD, MP3, WAV, WMA, Dolby® Digital AC-3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, M4A, MP4, Playlists (WPL, ASX, M3U, PLS, XSPF)

Image: JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP, GIF

mpeg2 Transport Stream are: "TS, SPTS, TP, MPEG-TS, or M2T"

M2TS can be TS format.

M2TS format from Sony is not necessarily the same as that of Panasonic or Canon camcorders

Are you using any DRM protected mp3 files? Those from on-line stores are protected so they can't be used. If you are using any non-DRM mp3 files, I suggested that you convert them to wav files.

My suggestion is to convet the video files to somethng that the program can work with easliy. If you have a problem then, we can rule that out as a cause of the image issue.

If I remember correctly there have been some posts from people using "large" photos and yours are extemely large. Why are you using such large resolutions?

If I remember correctly there have been some posts from people using "large" photos and yours are extemely large. Why are you using such large resolutions?

That's just the resolution my camera takes pictures at. I'm on my third computer - this one has a 1GB dedicated graphics card, 16 GB RAM, i7 processor. I've also upgraded to Creator 2010 Pro. We'll see how this goes.

That's just the resolution my camera takes pictures at. I'm on my third computer - this one has a 1GB dedicated graphics card, 16 GB RAM, i7 processor. I've also upgraded to Creator 2010 Pro. We'll see how this goes.

To eliminate that the video files are causing your problems, just leave them out in a test project.

I still don't see the point of using such a high resolution setting for the photos. After all when you use them in your project they will be converted to 720x480 anyway. What is the make/model of the camera? It must have some other settings.

To eliminate that the video files are causing your problems, just leave them out in a test project.

Will do.

I still don't see the point of using such a high resolution setting for the photos. After all when you use them in your project they will be converted to 720x480 anyway. What is the make/model of the camera? It must have some other settings.

It's a Sony A900. I take pictures at a high res because many of them become posters. I can change the res of all the photos in photoshop - just seems pointless though if Creator accepts them into a production in the first place they should render.

Question - since I am using ultra high resolution pictures and HD video (mostly), should I burn an AVCHD or BluRay Iso? I'm going to try that right now. I'm just wondering if I will be able to burn to standard disks after?

The size of the pictures has nothing to do with it and never has...

A couple of users have pursued this false hope and it has never been found to have a grain of truth.

In the end, it is the video card, rendering or drivers that fixes the problem.

In the end a DVD Movie will be 720 X 480 and a BD can be up to 1920 X 1080 and nothing in the world is going to change that.

Question - since I am using ultra high resolution pictures and HD video (mostly), should I burn an AVCHD or BluRay Iso? I'm going to try that right now. I'm just wondering if I will be able to burn to standard disks after?

I assume that you mean that you want to burn a standard definition disc from a blu-ray or AVCHD ISO. No, a HD ISO is an image of a AVCHD or Blu-ray disc. You cannot burn a standard definition from that ISO file.

I hope you selected HQ for that ISO file; many of the other settings give you an error. Read this.

You will get about 40 minutes or so on an AVCHD disc to can double that using a DL disc. You would need a blu-ray player that will play the AVCHD codec; not all do.

With that camera and camcorder, I'm surprised that you are not doing everything in HD anyway.

The size of the pictures has nothing to do with it and never has...

A couple of users have pursued this false hope and it has never been found to have a grain of truth.

SO I shouldn't pursue lowering the original picture resolution to see if that is why they are being dropped?

In the end, it is the video card, rendering or drivers that fixes the problem.

OK - the project is still blanking out pictures and video. Here are my new system specs:

Gateway FX6831

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80 GHz

RAM: 16.0 GB

Sytem type: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Video - ATI Radeon HD 5850 version 8.680.0.0 (it's up to date)

Roxio Creator 2010 Pro

Version 1.2.193 SP2; 5.0.0.0

Build 121B93A, R04; 500B22A, R04

Are all the images the same kind of jpeg file format (there are several as you probably know).

If the same ones were dropped all the time, I might consider the size the probelm. You said it changes. That still points to an encoding issue or something else you have in the production.

I'm asking againa because I don't remember if it was aksed. Do you have your anti-virus running during encoding? Is it trying to scan the editied files already on your computer? Is there anything else on your computer that may be periodic - back up, e-mail checks, etc.

Open Task Manager and watch the CPU useage when you are encoding. Do you see any priodic spiking?

Edited by sknis

Are all the images the same kind of jpeg file format (there are several as you probably know).

If the same ones were dropped all the time, I might consider the size the probelm. You said it changes. That still points to an encoding issue or something else you have in the production.

I'm asking againa because I don't remember if it was aksed. Do you have your anti-virus running during encoding? Is it trying to scan the editied files already on your computer? Is there anything else on your computer that may be periodic - back up, e-mail checks, etc.

Open Task Manager and watch the CPU useage when you are encoding. Do you see any priodic spiking?

All are the same kind of JPEG. After a long online chat with Jenil at Roxio, we were able to, in a few easy steps, determine that the picture size was causing the problem. I found a shareware program called fotosizer that batch converts photos (I have hundreds in about 20 different folders) to whatever res you want. I kept the same file names when making the small sized duplicates in a different folder, and moved the original files into a "new folder" so that videowave wouldn't find them when I opened my project. Then I just redirected videowave to the new folder with the lower res pics. It appears to have worked. I'll confirm once my ISO is done and I have burned it to disk.

All are the same kind of JPEG. After a long online chat with Jenil at Roxio, we were able to, in a few easy steps, determine that the picture size was causing the problem. I found a shareware program called fotosizer that batch converts photos (I have hundreds in about 20 different folders) to whatever res you want. I kept the same file names when making the small sized duplicates in a different folder, and moved the original files into a "new folder" so that videowave wouldn't find them when I opened my project. Then I just redirected videowave to the new folder with the lower res pics. It appears to have worked. I'll confirm once my ISO is done and I have burned it to disk.

Not the Size Sol…

It was the format your pictures were in and by running the 3rd party converter they were placed into a Standard Format.

In the testing I did, I was using 9140 X 6840, 6 MB files and they produce no problems…

I am glad you got it working, but I do not want to perpetuate this Big File nonsense. I can probably find a Tech that agrees the world is Flat! But that doesn’t make it true :lol:

I would agree with Jim. I don't think I ever had a jpeg image that big so I can't be 100% sure. Everythng I use is ca 4000 by 2600. I know that some other people had issues when they used a different jpeg format setting.

What camera are you taking those pictures with?

I would agree with Jim. I don't think I ever had a jpeg image that big so I can't be 100% sure. Everythng I use is ca 4000 by 2600. I know that some other people had issues when they used a different jpeg format setting.

What camera are you taking those pictures with?

It's a Sony a900. Great for some of the poster work I do. MyDVD is still not rendering an ISO or creating a file set for me. It shuts down with "8004005 error" or another 800-something error sometimes. Or it blanks pictures.

I'm now creating an MPEG2 outputed directly from videowave to finish the second half of my production (about 23 minutes long). It is not putting up black instead of pictures/video, it is putting up white. Some pictures and some video work, some are just white.

THis is so bizarre. I am able to output to windows media video 9. It works, no frames dropped, no missing video, no missing pictures. Why won't it output to MPEG 2? I'm using hardware because it works better than software (fails less).

Is the program on your system drive? Are all the images on your system drive or are you running from an external one?

I'm out of ideas. :(