• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

kube555

Chapter trouble

Question

I have about 25 .mov files, and I want to create a playable DVD that has chapters. One would think that because all of the files are separate that Toast would automatically make each file a chapter. After encoding and burning however, that wasn't the case (on a computer at least). When played, it would notice that it was a new file when that point came, but I could not skip forward or back.

Any one know a way around this?

5 answers to this question

You have some options. One is to make sure continuous play is selected in the Toast Video window before creating your DVD. That way the DVD will automatically start playing from one title to the next. You can use the menu button of your remote control to access the list of titles for going forward or back.

Another is to import the videos to iMovie and make one movie from them. Be sure to place a chapter marker at the start of each new clip. Toast will make a DVD that uses those chapter markers.

Another is to use QuickTime 7 Pro and just copy and paste each movie to the end of one progressively added movie. You could then save as a reference movie (so the whole thing doesn't need to get written again). I think Toast might automatically see the start of each pasted movie as a new chapter. Haven't tried it, though.

You have some options. One is to make sure continuous play is selected in the Toast Video window before creating your DVD. That way the DVD will automatically start playing from one title to the next. You can use the menu button of your remote control to access the list of titles for going forward or back.

I did have that checked. So, I'll be allowed to access the chapters, but not skip to them without going back to the beginning? I want to be able to jump ahead to the next chapter while playing. When I was watching on DVD Player on my mac, I couldn't skip to the next chapter, and hitting menu only brought me back to the beginning of the disc. I'd also prefer to not even deal with a menu.

I understand, and will use one of the other methods if I can't have singular chapters just by burning within Toast. Kind of odd that Toast doesn't just default to having chapters when I'm burning multiple clips.

Toast assumes that each video you add to the window is a new title. It will create chapters within titles that are longer than 5 minutes. But the DVD spec treats titles as one thing and chapters (or scenes) as something entirely different. There is no way to convert titles to chapters within Toast.

Edited by tsantee

I have the exact same problem, but I don't have iMovie. I can't believe Toast can't create chapters natively? Has anyone tried the Quicktime method? I'm running Snow Leopard.

I have the exact same problem, but I don't have iMovie. I can't believe Toast can't create chapters natively? Has anyone tried the Quicktime method? I'm running Snow Leopard.

If there are no existing chapter markers in a video then Toast automatically creates chapters in time intervals. The default is every 5 minutes. You may be able to change the interval by clicking the Edit button next to the video title in the Video window. The interval will be the same for the entire title.

If chapter markers are placed in the file by some other application then Toast should respect those chapters when "automatic" is set for chapter markers in the Edit window (which is the default).