• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD Rom

vid2man97

My appologies once again if this topic has been answered in whole or part somewhere else. I know I've sometimes seen people recommending certain drives over another when there's been a posting with drive problems.

My drive (Lite-On), has just about passed on. It'll sometimes see a disc, and sometimes not. Many times it reads the disc but not properly. I have a Pioneer burner and it has and continues to be rock solid for me. I prefer to have a separate rom though, and use it only for burning.

With all the experience out there, I was wondering if I could get any advice on manufaturers along with the models. I mention models because I've heard (rightly or wrongly) that a manufacturer may make a decent drive of one sort, yet there may be problems with a different model.

In any case, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

My drive (Lite-On), has just about passed on. It'll sometimes see a disc, and sometimes not. Many times it reads the disc but not properly. I have a Pioneer burner and it has and continues to be rock solid for me. I prefer to have a separate rom though, and use it only for burning.

??? ROM stands for Read Only Memory - doesn't burn. A burner is a RW (Read/Write).

Lynn

I have to stop posting before I'm fully awake.

I have two DVD drives.

The Pioneer is a R/W.

The Lite-On is just a reader.

The Lite-On is dying on me and I want to replace it with another reader. This makes it handy for those times when I get a DVD and want to make a straight disc to disc copy.

I've had the Lite-On for 1 1/2 years, the Pioneer for 3. A year and a half doesn't seem like a good life expenctancy to me. So I'm open to other suggestions for brands.

thanks...

Guest mlpasley

I guess I must be half asleep because I actually understood your first post. :)

If you're happy with Pioneer, they're a good brand.

Since a DVD ROM is a whole lot simpler and less expensive than a DVD RW, you're going to be pretty safe with any of the major manufacturer's. Personally, I'd probably go for whatever is on sale if you can replace it yourself.

I won't fret too much over the purchase. They're pretty cheap, even for a pioneer, lg or sony.

Lucky for me I don't mind installing parts.

thanks for the opinions...

Why bother getting a ROM player, a burner is much more usefull! What if your current burner goes bellyup, what if you want to burn to 2 DVD/CDs at once, etc?

Why bother getting a ROM player, a burner is much more usefull! What if your current burner goes bellyup, what if you want to burn to 2 DVD/CDs at once, etc?

A burner isn't good for reading, aka ripping. The new burners are supposed to be fast at ripping, but I have tested a few of them, and not one can rip as fast as my ancient Sony DVD ROM, including my new BenQ.

I agree with Bruce. Having both a CD-R and a DVD/RW drive probably gives you the best of both worlds.. I am very partial to Asus CD-R drives. They are very fast (52x32x52) and rip data files way faster than any DVD/RW drives That I know of. I have used probably a dozen Asus CRW-5232AS drives in the custom computers I have built and they all have performed flawlessly. I still keep track of the customers I built for and they all are advising they work fine. PLUS they can read and write too. I use the same one in my desktop computer and I use it mostly for exactly waht vid2man97 is wanting one for.

And if my DVD/RW goes out Walt, in probably an hour or so I can go to my local computer store and have a new one installed and working.

Frank....

I actually did consider getting another burner. But I don't trust the read speeds of them to be fast enough and by the time my present burner goes (forbid the thought cause it's great) a new one will be dirt cheap.

Thanks for the feedback all.

A burner isn't good for reading, aka ripping. The new burners are supposed to be fast at ripping, but I have tested a few of them, and not one can rip as fast as my ancient Sony DVD ROM, including my new BenQ.

There's firmware to remove rip locks on some drives. I would rather have a "GOOD" reader that's a little slower, than a fast and not so good a reader.

I agree with Walt and would buy another burner for 10 or 15 more. Maybe a Lite-on to use the K-Probe utility!

cdanteek

Archived