Videowave crashing

starrigger

Question

I've been editing a project in Videowave, my first significant experience with this software. (Previously used Windows Moviemaker and MyDVD 6.) Videowave has crashed on me several times, which I'm sort of used to with video editing software, which is why I save my file often. The problem is, it has twice now lost significant amounts of work upon crashing--even though I have saved (repeatedly).

Last time, I was editing text for credits at the end of a piece. Since it won't let you save while in the text editor, I exited the editor a few times to save, then went back to adding text. On the final edit from the text editor, VW crashed. I restarted, and on resuming the project, found that virtually nothing was left of my work, including work previously saved.

Also, is it normal for the text editor to function extremely sluggishly, often requiring numerous clicks to get the cursor to go where I want it?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Wndows XP Home, AMD Athlon 2.13 Ghz, 512 RAM, 72 GB free space on hard drive

Jeff

4 answers to this question

I've been editing a project in Videowave, my first significant experience with this software. (Previously used Windows Moviemaker and MyDVD 6.) Videowave has crashed on me several times, which I'm sort of used to with video editing software, which is why I save my file often. The problem is, it has twice now lost significant amounts of work upon crashing--even though I have saved (repeatedly).

Last time, I was editing text for credits at the end of a piece. Since it won't let you save while in the text editor, I exited the editor a few times to save, then went back to adding text. On the final edit from the text editor, VW crashed. I restarted, and on resuming the project, found that virtually nothing was left of my work, including work previously saved.

Also, is it normal for the text editor to function extremely sluggishly, often requiring numerous clicks to get the cursor to go where I want it?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Wndows XP Home, AMD Athlon 2.13 Ghz, 512 RAM, 72 GB free space on hard drive

Jeff

I don't know if you're still following this thread, but I am having similar problems. I've lost work frequently while working with videowave...and on a fairly capable machine. And I also have problems with the text function working sluggishly, especially on my older computer. I've almost given up using it. I find if I can quickly click the middle of the text, it will sometime highlight everything without having to drag, where it always leaves the last few letters unselected. It does work better on the faster computer (3 ghz, 828 Ram, laptop) than on the older, 1.8 ghz, 756 Ram, 80 GB Hd space.)

I'd also like some help on avoiding the frequent crashes.

I don't know if you're still following this thread, but I am having similar problems. I've lost work frequently while working with videowave...and on a fairly capable machine. And I also have problems with the text function working sluggishly, especially on my older computer. I've almost given up using it. I find if I can quickly click the middle of the text, it will sometime highlight everything without having to drag, where it always leaves the last few letters unselected. It does work better on the faster computer (3 ghz, 828 Ram, laptop) than on the older, 1.8 ghz, 756 Ram, 80 GB Hd space.)

Hi. Well, I can tell you one thing that *doesn't* help, and that's adding more memory. I upgraded from 512 MB to 1GB--and while my general system performance has improved, the crashing of Videowave is continuing. I'm now working on a different project, and have had the same problem. My main defense is saving really, really often. And ^S does not work for saving, despite the indication otherwise on the menu. I have to click File:Save or it doesn't work.

The other thing I've done is separated sections with a lot of text (like credits) to a different project, which I'm going to export as .AVI and then import into the main project--just to be working on a smaller piece and not endangering the whole thing.

Jeff

What video card do you have on that computer? How much free space is left on the hard drive? Are you running DirectsX 9.c? All of these will effect if and how well Videowave will function.

Sorry to add to the comisseration pile, but I am experiencing similar problems. I just purchased the My DVD product w/ Videowave so that I could make a nice slideshow w/ video transition. I am unable to add video or slideshow content - videowave just hangs. I can't close it, I can't do anything but force it to close using task manager. This is getting really frustrating! :)

I have triple checked my computer specs & my computer is is compliant.

I tried contacting the Tech. Support. They just want to charge me the $35.00 (which I shouldn't have to do since I just purchased it!). I am hoping somebody has an answer!

Kimberly

Archived