• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

False CSS encryption message--please help!

gungadin234

Question

I had this issue with Popcorn 1 and hoped the upgrade might help. It didn't. If I attempt to burn a disc with a VIDEO_TS folder located on my external firewire hard drive, Popcorn gives me a dialog box which states "The disc you have inserted is CSS encrypted and cannot be copied by Popcorn. If you are online now, click "More Info" for information about CSS encrypted discs."

However, none of the VIDEO_TS folders I've tried this with have been CSS encrypted. And here is the kicker: if I move the VERY SAME FOLDER onto my local (internal) drive, Popcorn will accept it with no complaints. I digitally throw myself at your collective virtual feet and beg for assistance, as this is really annoying. Is there anyone out there with the same problem? Or conversely, is there anyone successfully burning content from an external firewire drive?

4 answers to this question

If I attempt to burn a disc with a VIDEO_TS folder located on my external firewire hard drive, Popcorn gives me a dialog box which states "The disc you have inserted is CSS encrypted and cannot be copied by Popcorn. If you are online now, click "More Info" for information about CSS encrypted discs."

I don't seem to have the problem you describe.

I copied a VIDEO_TS folder from my internal drive to an external drive connected via Firewire 400. When I drag the folder from the external location onto the Popcorn 2 target area, Popcorn successfully displays the content summary and lets me into the custom selection dialog. I didn't go further and actually burn a disc.

I have a MacBook and a OWC 250GB 7200 RPM external drive with USB2/FW400/FW800 interface. I've never had Popcorn 1 installed, only Popcorn 2.

Yes, I tried this myself and it seemed to work fine. Is there something different about how that external drive is formatted? Is it is different file system then your internal drive?

Elmouser and Frenchtoastwithjam--

Thanks very much to both of you for trying this (and sorry for not replying sooner--I nuked my cookies in Safari and couldn't get my previous login to work). I wonder what the problem is with my setup? The external drive and my internal drives (on both my laptop and desktop) are all Apple_HFS partitions, with the Mac OS Extended filesystem.

It seems as though there must be something funny with my particular external drive (or perhaps some odd configuration issue). The drive is a 250 GB Hitachi Deskstar inside a Macally PHR-100AF (Firewire 400) enclosure. Just for kicks, I updated the enclosure's firmware last evening, to no avail.

Anyway, thanks again for trying to duplicate my problem--and if anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions, I am all ears!

Wow! I just figured it out. I have been putting my movie files inside a folder enclosed with brackets, like so: [folder name]. Apparently Popcorn doesn't like brackets, because if I pull the files out of that folder, I no longer get the CSS encryption message. Weird! Yet another lesson in why one shouldn't use odd characters for file or folder names, I guess.

Wow! I just figured it out. I have been putting my movie files inside a folder enclosed with brackets, like so: [folder name]. Apparently Popcorn doesn't like brackets, because if I pull the files out of that folder, I no longer get the CSS encryption message. Weird! Yet another lesson in why one shouldn't use odd characters for file or folder names, I guess.

Big thanks to you for discovering the (or a) reason behind those mysteriously random CSS encryption warnings from both Toast (7.1) and Popcorn (2.0) after mounting disk images containing EyeTV 200 recordings (created directly with Toast as DVD Video). It was puzzling when it first appeared about 4-5 months ago but since it and my burning sessions were infrequent enough I hadn't bothered following up before now.

I've been using a convention of appending strings like [s#D#] to image filenames as an abbreviation for Season #, Disk #. Since Toast and Popcorn didn't consistently display the CSS warning I hadn't realized certain characters (e.g. square brackets) in filenames could trigger it. Two precise recent examples:

Dog Bites Man [s1D1]

(CSS dialog appears)

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia [s2D1]

(no CSS dialog appears)

It's certainly not obvious to me what's special about the second one; does the single quote or longer length somehow matter? I'll let Roxio figure it out, if they're interested.

Archived