• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
doz19

startup disc

Question

hi,

tried to copy some eps to a disc image and it said:" your startup disc is almost full, you need to make more space avaialble on your startup disc by deleting files- where do i go to delete things?

7 answers to this question

It may be referring to the hard drive that has the system you use for starting up your Mac. That is the default location for the Roxio Converted Items folder. It may work to go to Toast preferences and locate the converted items folder on a different hard drive that has more available space.

hmm..but theres only one hard drive on my mac isnt there? i dont see what i can put the location as

, basically means ive got too many files/downloads in a specific folder?

hmm..but theres only one hard drive on my mac isnt there? i dont see what i can put the location as

, basically means ive got too many files/downloads in a specific folder?

OK. You have just one hard drive. When you have a Finder window open there is a description at the bottom that says there are a certain number of items and a certain amount of space available. How much space does it say is available?

If that drive is getting full then you'll need to delete stuff you don't need any longer. Or if you haven't emptied the trash recently you may only need to do that. The command to empty the trash is under "Finder" in the Finder's menu bar. A good place to look for stuff you no longer need is in your Downloads folder.

downloads folder: 24 items, which i dont think is that much`: 3.91 GB available, so how many things do i need to delete? my hard drive: 17 items but with folders with stuff in: 3.91 GB available

downloads folder: 24 items, which i dont think is that much`: 3.91 GB available, so how many things do i need to delete? my hard drive: 17 items but with folders with stuff in: 3.91 GB available

You really need to delete files to gain hard drive space or get an external hard drive that you can copy some of the files over to. I'd say a minimum amount of space is about 10 GB.

Here's a tip to find large files on your Mac. In the Finder hold down the command and F keys to open a search window. Click and hold on the button that says "Kind" and choose "Other." In a moment a window opens in which you can choose "Size" as your search key. Now click the button that says "equals" and change is to "is greater than." Now change "kb" to "mb" and enter the number 100. The window will show you all your files that exceed 100 megabytes in size. It is easy to look at any of those files. Just click on one to select it and press the space bar. This opens QuickLook where you can see the picture, movie or whatever is that size if it can be viewed in Preview or QuickTime Player.

If you find things you want to keep but don't need to keep on your hard drive, use Toast's Data window to copy them to discs. Then trash them from the hard drive. This is a good use for Toast's disc spanning so you can copy a lot of stuff to disc and Toast just keeps asking you to insert another blank disc when one gets full. Toast includes an app on the disc that shows a directory of what was burned and on what disc it is located.

deleted some files seems ok now but i get a different error message now when copying surgical spirit to a disc image , after 87% it says: sector 1715072 is unreadable, verification failed,what do i do?

deleted some files seems ok now but i get a different error message now when copying surgical spirit to a disc image , after 87% it says: sector 1715072 is unreadable, verification failed,what do i do?

Is your source video on a disc? If so, the disc has a defect.