• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD Subtitles

Stuho1

Question

I have an .AVI movie and an .SRT subtitles file. When I play the movie using VLC the subtitles are properly displayed, but when I burn a disk using "DVD-Video" in Toast 10 there are no subtitles on the disk. What should I do? Thank you.

2 answers to this question

I believe Toast will retain subtitles already embedded in an existing MPEG 2 video file but it doesn't have the ability to add subtitles when it encodes video to MPEG 2. You may need to use ffMPEGX or MPEG2Works to encode the MPEG 2 video with the subtitles. There also is a freeware tool called TitleLab for Mac that lets you add the .SRT subtitles to a QuickTime movie, so that may be an option. I have no experience with that, however.

I believe Toast will retain subtitles already embedded in an existing MPEG 2 video file but it doesn't have the ability to add subtitles when it encodes video to MPEG 2. You may need to use ffMPEGX or MPEG2Works to encode the MPEG 2 video with the subtitles. There also is a freeware tool called TitleLab for Mac that lets you add the .SRT subtitles to a QuickTime movie, so that may be an option. I have no experience with that, however.

Thank you for these suggestions. I don't think TitleLab will work because I don't think my DVD player will recognize a QuickTime format. However, one of the other two may work. I'll investigate further.