Blank Overlay Pix

PennStan9038

Question

Created a slideshow with VW in Creator 2010. Couple of issues regarding overlayed pictures. To protect against picture edges being cut, I insert a blank panel, go into internal tracks, add photo as overlay, size photo, exit internal tracks. In timeline view the panel just shows up as the blank panel, but the photo shows up on the preview screen. HOWEVER, when exporting to mpeg2, some of the overlayed photos do not display. Surely the photo shouldn't be added on the main overlay track because transitions don't apply to it. In searching the forums, I saw that doing "something" to the photo, such as reset in edit, etc. will cause it to display. This leads to second question. Is there a way to edit a photo that is an overlay on the internal track? I don't see any way to edit the photo. Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Created a slideshow with VW in Creator 2010. Couple of issues regarding overlayed pictures. To protect against picture edges being cut, I insert a blank panel, go into internal tracks, add photo as overlay, size photo, exit internal tracks. In timeline view the panel just shows up as the blank panel, but the photo shows up on the preview screen. HOWEVER, when exporting to mpeg2, some of the overlayed photos do not display. Surely the photo shouldn't be added on the main overlay track because transitions don't apply to it. In searching the forums, I saw that doing "something" to the photo, such as reset in edit, etc. will cause it to display. This leads to second question. Is there a way to edit a photo that is an overlay on the internal track? I don't see any way to edit the photo. Thanks.

As far as the intermittent dropping of your pictures, try setting Tools – Options – Render, to Software.

Overlays need some understanding…

Overlays go Over anything in front of them. They have an order… Your Video Track is at the bottom of the heep!

An Overlay on the Internal track will show. But something on Ovl1 will be ‘Over’ anything in front of it.

And if you have another on Ovl2 it will be over all the tracks before it… The higher the Ovl number, the higher its' effect.

In this screen cap, I put Image1.jpg on the internal Ovl1 of Video track at 1:33: (scrubber is at 1:35)

post-39730-1275043115.jpg

But I also have a picture, Mem Card Camcorder.jpg, on Ovl1 outside of the Video Track and it overlaps the internal track Ovl1…

The result is that it overrides the Video track until it reaches the end of Mem Card Camcorder.jpg:

post-39730-1275043130.jpg

And whenever you have the Internal Tracks open for edit, Nothing on the tracks outside of them is visible until after you click ‘Done’!

One last thought. When you do an Export As from VW, you make a movie clip and all of these things are rendered into that clip and no longer exist as separate parts of the clip.

Thanks. The change to software rendering worked. To add to your hierarchy of overlays, it appears on my project that text1 on the internal track is below the internal ovl1 track. I did a quick test production with several overlays/text and it conflicted with the results of my project. My test showed the following display hierarchy: main text/main ovl2/main ovl1/internal text 1/internal ovl2/ internal ovl1 / main video.

Thanks. The change to software rendering worked. To add to your hierarchy of overlays, it appears on my project that text1 on the internal track is below the internal ovl1 track. I did a quick test production with several overlays/text and it conflicted with the results of my project. My test showed the following display hierarchy: main text/main ovl2/main ovl1/internal text 1/internal ovl2/ internal ovl1 / main video.

You are getting the picture :lol:

With complex projects you may need to Export As along the way to create an intermediate video file that has everything up applied to that point.

Then start fresh with that video add more overlays or effects on top of it so they don’t cancel out what is already there.

Try not to make things too complicated for yourself, but if you are really getting creative, try little tricks like that.

And when you are trying little workarounds like that, do tiny examples so you don’t spend hours rendering something that isn’t going to work :(