DanLorraine

Does Toast 10 support 1920x1080?

Question

I'm a brand new Toast 10 user. I openly admit that I bought it for the "novelty" of burning HD material on plain DVDs, but have quickly found other uses. However, I'm still trying to get the "novelty" item to work consistently.

All material was shot with a SONY HD camera. One movie was imported/edited/produced with iMovie 09. "Get Info" from Finder shows that this file is 1440x1080 AIC. These are the same characteristics that show when I select the file to burn in Toast. The little slider preview tool underneath the thumbnail works as expected. The end product from Toast 10 (Blu-ray Video, burn to a DVD) is a great result -- 12 minutes of very good quality video.

I have another movie that was imported/edited/produced with Final Cut Express 4. "Get Info" from Finder shows that this file is 1920x1080 AIC. When I select this movie in Toast, it shows as 1440x1080 AIC, and the preview thumbnail is always black (no matter where the slider is positioned). The end product from Toast 10 (Blu-ray video, burn to a DVD) is 12 minutes of audio only (no video).

Does Toast 10 support 1920x1080? Any other ideas on why the larger format doesn't produce video with Toast? I am currently running Toast 10 without any updates (straight from the purchased download), but I do have the HD/BR plug-in installed. I have two-year old iMac (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB SDAM, Mac OS X 10.6.3).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

7 answers to this question

Try the latest update. You can keep both your version along with Toast 10.0.7 just in case. Also, try exporting your FCE movie as a full quality QuickTime movie. It doesn't need to have the AIC codec.

Edited by tsantee

Try the latest update. You can keep both your version along with Toast 10.0.7 just in case. Also, try exporting your FCE movie as a full quality QuickTime movie. It doesn't need to have the AIC codec.

Hmmm, thought I had exported as a full quality QT movie. I'll check that out this weekend. I should have also mentioned that the FCE movies are not "self-contained", meaning they are files that point to the original files. That was the recommendation I got from the FCE forum folks. Any thoughts about that? How do I create a FCE movie without the AIC codec?

I'm having the same challenges that others on this forum are with the most recent versions of Toast 10. 10.0.7 seems to be less predictable than the download version. I'll keep working it.

Thanks for the quick response. Stay tuned.

I have a extremely frustrating problem with Toast and Blu-Ray - in that I create an HD Movie in Fotomagico and compress it to H.264 etc. - and then give it to Toast 10 Pro to make a Blu-Ray disc on a regular DVD.

With that preamble - my problem is that Toast will "Encode" for a while and just as it's about to finish (a hour later) - it pops up with an error window - "Couldn't burn disc because of problem with Source Material" - error -18711

I even upgraded to Fotomagico's latest version along with Toast updates - and still no joy.

I spent 3 hours on the phone with tech support at Roxio - in the Phillipines - and they didn't even know you could burn a Blu-Ray disc and did not solve the problem.

Do YOU have ANY clues how to get consistent performance from Toast with Blu-Ray burning?

Robert

I have a extremely frustrating problem with Toast and Blu-Ray - in that I create an HD Movie in Fotomagico and compress it to H.264 etc. - and then give it to Toast 10 Pro to make a Blu-Ray disc on a regular DVD.

With that preamble - my problem is that Toast will "Encode" for a while and just as it's about to finish (a hour later) - it pops up with an error window - "Couldn't burn disc because of problem with Source Material" - error -18711

I even upgraded to Fotomagico's latest version along with Toast updates - and still no joy.

I spent 3 hours on the phone with tech support at Roxio - in the Phillipines - and they didn't even know you could burn a Blu-Ray disc and did not solve the problem.

Do YOU have ANY clues how to get consistent performance from Toast with Blu-Ray burning?

I think you mean the dreaded error -18771. It's gotten a lot of attention in this forum. The only workaround I know of - and I can vouch for since it's what I've been doing - is to use version 10.0.2 for encoding. Save your Blu-ray DVD to a disk image and then rescue (without quitting Toast) the .264 and .ac3 files it makes in the Roxio Converted Items folder. By rescue I mean move them out of that folder, otherwise Toast will delete them. You can then drag the .264 file into the 10.0.7 window. It should find the audio file by itself, or you can help it if need be. Now when you save to disk, Toast will proceed directly to multiplexing and not re-encode. If it all goes smoothly, then go ahead and burn a DVD. You could skip 10.0.7 altogether if you're happy with the disk image from 10.0.2. But that version has "issues" with chapters that are addressed by the later versions.

I don't know why, but the older version seems to give a much higher success rate at encoding. And I believe it may be faster also.

Edited by WayneH

I too have encountered the same problem in trying to process a .mov produced through iMovie and Quick Time into a Blu Ray DVD Video using Toast Titanium 10.0.6 and 10.0.7. I remembered that when using Toast 9 with the Blu Ray plugin every thing went smoothly.

Since I had not erased the old version of Toast 9 I returned to Toast 9 and last evening and this morning now processed and burned two new Quick Time HD formatted 1920 by 1080 videos. No work arounds it just plain worked.

Kylake

Blue Ray plugin really sucks, waisted money. Why can't Roxio fix it instead of just taking our money.

So what is the difference between quicktime movie than a MPEG 4 movie.

Edited by Imacer

Blue Ray plugin really sucks, waisted money. Why can't Roxio fix it instead of just taking our money.

So what is the difference between quicktime movie than a MPEG 4 movie.

A "quicktime movie" could include anything playable using QT, so the term alone really doesn't mean anything. With all the codecs and settings combinations, the options are endless. MPEG-4 doesn't tell the whole story either, but in general it means H.264 compressed (=AVC). That's the best codec around and commonly appears on BDs, but it also allows for many settings. For instance it's often used for preparing iPod movies,and those wouldn't look so good if you're trying to get blu-ray quality.

I've had luck exporting from iMovie to AIC and encoding that with version 10.0.2. Take care to be sure your encoding settings are "AVC" at an appropriate bitrate (<17 if you're going onto a DVD). Then take the .264 made by Toast and drag it into the Toast window of version 10.0.7 so that multiplexing and burning can continue in the newer version.