• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

"VTS_01_1.VOB" is in an unsupported format and cannot be imported.

mitcrellim

Question

I have google searched and searched these forums to no avail so far. I have a Sony dvd burner that supports +RW/R and -RW/R. I recorded onto a +RW and want to export it to a DV file. I have done this before, but it was a year ago. I don't remember having problems.

I click on the Video tab and select DVD-Video in the Formats tab.

Then when I drag and drop the entire VIDEO_TS folder, or even just one of the VOB files, I get the error message:

"VTS_01_1.VOB" is in an unsupported format and cannot be imported.

(above is for just one file, I am sure anyone realizes that, :) ).

I used Toast to take all the video files using the Data tab and burn a new dvd on a dvd-R disk. I have copied all the files to my hard drive as well and still get the error message.

Does anyone have any pointers on what may be wrong? I have Toast 7.0.2 with MacOS 10.4.6.

Thanks for any pointers. I guess I could always play the dvd and record it to my digital camera, but I bought Toast 7 because it has this feature.

4 answers to this question

Try this:

Insert the DVD+RW disc. Open Toast and select the Video window as you have done. Click the Media button in the upper left. Click DVD with the top button in the Media Browser that appears. The DVD show appear in the list. Go down one level user the lower button. The individual titles on the DVD should appear. Drag the title(s) you want to the Video window. Toast extracts the MPEG video and writes it to the Roxio Converted Items folder. When it's done you can eject the DVD and proceed with preparing your video for burning to a new disc.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

I don't know why there would be the jumps where the chapters are joined. But for your information there is another application that is specifically designed for what you're trying to do. It is called Cinematize and is available at www.miraizon.com. Many people also use MPEG Streamclip combined with Apple's Quicktime MPEG2 playback component.

tsantee,

Excellent tip. This worked. Better than converting an entire vob file as well, because I can convert each chapter. Since I had default of 5 minutes, I don't have to now split the .dv files after conversion like I did last year when I did this.

Thanks for the pointer.

Tim...

While this did work great, after putting the chapters together in iMovie for editing, I am getting little jumps where they should be smooth at the point where the two chapters are next to each other. I had the dvd recorder on 5 minute automatic chapters. I guess it isn't quite as good as I had thought it would be now that I have had more time to work with it.

If anyone has any comments or pointers, let me know. I will start playing the dvd and recording to my digital camera to then import into iMovie as a backup.

Thanks again.

Archived